The Last Samurai

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
granted, tom cruise would not have been my first choice to play this character, but despite negative thinking about tom cruise this was a damn fine movie. would have liked to have seen hugh jackman play the lead role, that would have been even better.

I'm wondering, is the movie written so as "the last samuri" HAS to be a white man? Or could have an Asian played the part? Like Chow Yun Fat.

Originally posted by Pale Rider
I'm wondering, is the movie written so as "the last samuri" HAS to be a white man? Or could have an Asian played the part? Like Chow Yun Fat.

Tom cruise wasnt the last samurai, ken watanbe(katsumoto) was. The movie is about watanbe's character as the last samurai to the emporer.

I was disappoined in this film. Scarce character development, crap dialogue, not enough history.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I was disappoined in this film. Scarce character development, crap dialogue, not enough history.

I just saw this last night, and believe it or not, I agree.

I agree with Jackass, I can't stand Tom Cruise in anything anymore, it always has to be about him. I found it boring.

Ok, I've finally seen it.

Staring Tom Cruise and a bunch of japanese nobodies, this tale takes place in Japan as the Empire is in the midst of a transition from ancient warrior feudalism to the modern era of industrialization, colonization, westernization, and a handful of other 'izations.

Tom Cruise, as a veteran of the Civil War and the following Indian Campaigns (and apparently a participant in the massacre at Wounded Knee) is recruited by a Japanese minister to come to Japan and help them build a modern army, muskets, artillery, and all.

This wave of modernization is opposed by a collection of samurai idealists who wish to protect the rich cultural history of Japan, led by another minister of the Emperor, who believes his rebellion is in service to the Emperor.

When Tom Cruise's green recruits first meet the battle tested samurai in combat it is a rout and Tom is taken captive. He is brought back to the rebel village high in the mountains west of Tokyo where he learns the ways of the samurai.

Anyone who is intrigued by Japanese and/or samurai history will enjoy this movie. The scenery is beautiful, the depictions of late 1800's cityscapes in Japan are well done, and the costumes (especially those of the samurai themselves) are wonderfulll.

Tom Cruise does a fine job portraying the drunken american warrior with a sense of honor, and the intriguing leader of the samurai rebellion is played equally well. The unsure emperor is an interesting character as well.

Everyone evil is pretty two dimensional.

The battle scenes are fun to watch. Nowhere near the epic scales of a Braveheart they are nevertheless engaging because of the unusual way in which they are conducted.

I liked it, and I'd watch it again.

No nudity, violence, war scenes, but I don't remeber anything particularly gruesome. Except the guy that got his face split open.

Two thumbs up.

Quick spolier:

I almost thought they would make it to the gatling guns, but once the guns were loaded, understanding the destructive power of those weapons, and hoping the movie was realisitic, I knew full well what those things would do to charging cavalry.

I loved the scenes within the Japanese village...while the beginning was a bit dissapointing, partly because Cruise does a terrible job acting like a drunk. Other than that his performance is notable and the movie is a must see.

Forum List

Back