The Last Letter: A Message to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney From a Dying Veteran

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
IMG_7389-tomas-young-dig-804-cropped.jpg

To: George W. Bush and Dick Cheney

I write this letter on the 10th anniversary of the Iraq War on behalf of my fellow Iraq War veterans. I write this letter on behalf of the 4,488 soldiers and Marines who died in Iraq. I write this letter on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of veterans who have been wounded and on behalf of those whose wounds, physical and psychological, have destroyed their lives. I am one of those gravely wounded. I was paralyzed in an insurgent ambush in 2004 in Sadr City. My life is coming to an end. I am living under hospice care.

I write this letter on behalf of husbands and wives who have lost spouses, on behalf of children who have lost a parent, on behalf of the fathers and mothers who have lost sons and daughters and on behalf of those who care for the many thousands of my fellow veterans who have brain injuries. I write this letter on behalf of those veterans whose trauma and self-revulsion for what they have witnessed, endured and done in Iraq have led to suicide and on behalf of the active-duty soldiers and Marines who commit, on average, a suicide a day. I write this letter on behalf of the some 1 million Iraqi dead and on behalf of the countless Iraqi wounded. I write this letter on behalf of us all—the human detritus your war has left behind, those who will spend their lives in unending pain and grief.

I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney. I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young Americans—my fellow veterans—whose future you stole.

Your positions of authority, your millions of dollars of personal wealth, your public relations consultants, your privilege and your power cannot mask the hollowness of your character. You sent us to fight and die in Iraq after you, Mr. Cheney, dodged the draft in Vietnam, and you, Mr. Bush, went AWOL from your National Guard unit. Your cowardice and selfishness were established decades ago. You were not willing to risk yourselves for our nation but you sent hundreds of thousands of young men and women to be sacrificed in a senseless war with no more thought than it takes to put out the garbage. http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/the_last_letter_20130318/
Please don't post complete articles.

Last edited by a moderator:
65 more Iraqis who were better off under Saddam.

Iraq Attacks Across Baghdad Kill 65, Wound Hundreds

BAGHDAD — Insurgents sent a bloody message on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion, carrying out a wave of bombings across the country Tuesday that killed at least 65 people in the deadliest day in Iraq this year.

The nearly 20 attacks, most of them in and around Baghdad, demonstrated in stark terms how dangerously divided Iraq remains more than a year after American troops withdrew. More than 240 people were reported wounded.

65 more Iraqis who were better off under Saddam.

Iraq Attacks Across Baghdad Kill 65, Wound Hundreds

BAGHDAD — Insurgents sent a bloody message on the eve of the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion, carrying out a wave of bombings across the country Tuesday that killed at least 65 people in the deadliest day in Iraq this year.

The nearly 20 attacks, most of them in and around Baghdad, demonstrated in stark terms how dangerously divided Iraq remains more than a year after American troops withdrew. More than 240 people were reported wounded.

How do you know they wouldn't be dead if Saddam was still running Iraq?

Thank you, Tomas Young, and best wishes!

Truthdig - The Forgotten Wounded of Iraq

Thank you for what, writing a letter that is nothing more than a collection of Democrat talking points to President Bush? I would think he could think of better things to do with the last few days of his life than serve as a propaganda tool for the Democrat Party.

You're a moron, moron.

All Bush did was get our troops injured and killed FOR NO GOOD REASON.

HE did. BUSH. No one else has the authority to actually order troops into battle.

Thank you for what, writing a letter that is nothing more than a collection of Democrat talking points to President Bush? I would think he could think of better things to do with the last few days of his life than serve as a propaganda tool for the Democrat Party.

Have you no shame? Don't you think this dying veteran has earned the right to express his final thoughts?

Nice work trashing our troops. You right wingers are disgusting.

I trashed nobody. I simply pointed out the idiocy of using your own death for something as shallow as scoring political points. That's how fucking sick leftists are. Joining the Army and getting shot doesn't make them any smarter, and the turds who cheer them on are even sicker.

Have you no shame? Don't you think this dying veteran has earned the right to express his final thoughts?

This is just another example of liberals using some pathetic victim to express their political agenda because they think he's immune from criticism. It's a cheap political tactic, and the people who use it are the sickest, most cynical kind of people there are.

Nice work trashing our troops. You right wingers are disgusting.

I trashed nobody. I simply pointed out the idiocy of using your own death for something as shallow as scoring political points. That's how fucking sick leftists are. Joining the Army and getting shot doesn't make them any smarter, and the turds who cheer them on are even sicker.

W and the GOP sent thousands of troops off the die over nothing but to bankroll themselves.

Though right wing idiots like you love your GOP masters spending like lunatics and having our troops coming home in body bags, while you sit on your lazy ass all day collecting welfare checks and bitching about "da libs" as an excuse for your pathetic existence.

This is just another example of liberals using some pathetic victim to express their political agenda because they think he's immune from criticism. It's a cheap political tactic, and the people who use it are the sickest, most cynical kind of people there are.

You mean like the right has been trying to use Christopher Stevens?

Conservatives, tell the board about the lessons you've learned from your mistakes, especially the Iraq War. I'd like to hear why you now know that your bellicose position made the US and Iraq worse off. What's it like knowing that liberals were right all along? After losing two Presidential elections in a row because of your mistakes, what would you have done differently?

So the Bush blame game continues. The House voted 297 to 133 & Senate voted 77 to 23 for the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq & 74% of us wanted to invade Iraq.

Gallup Poll Nov 27 2001 showed that 74% of us wanted the US to invade Iraq with ground troops after 9/11.

"Would you favor or oppose invading Iraq with U.S. ground troops in an attempt to remove Saddam Hussein from power?"

74% Favor - 20% Oppose - 6% No opinion

So was Bush supposed to go against the will of the people?

I have, like many other disabled veterans, suffered from the inadequate and often inept care provided by the Veterans Administration. I have, like many other disabled veterans, come to realize that our mental and physical wounds are of no interest to you, perhaps of no interest to any politician.

Well he got that part right. Government healthcare sucks.

Forum List

Back