The Illusion Known As "Poverty"

I have posted that the Left uses its control of the language to win the argument, and nowhere is this more evident than in the use of the term 'poverty.'

It brings to mind the sort of thing that Dickens wrote about (my apologies to Liberals, who don't read, so cannot make the connection), ....

....in actuality it means "no home, no heat, no food.".
I'm sorry, where are you getting that definition from? Not a dictionary, and not from any professionals in poverty studies or statistics.

So you just decided that that's what poverty should mean and declared it to be "actuality." That's just absurd.

I'm giving the reality based definition of poverty in opposition to the one designed to perpetuate poverty and big government.

This:
"It’s important to remember that the official poverty rate came about largely by happenstance and was not the result of a carefully thought through analysis. An economist named Mollie Orshansky at the Social Security Administration made the first estimate of the poverty rate in 1963. Ms. Orshansky, who died in 2007, had some data from the Department of Agriculture on food budgets for families of different sizes and incomes. She saw that food constituted about a third of spending by poor families and thus assumed that three times the budget for food would approximate the poverty rate.
This back of the envelope calculation was seized upon by the White House under Lyndon Johnson, which turned Orshansky’s figure into the official measure of poverty. Since that time, the original poverty measure of $3,000 for a family of four has simply been increased by the rate of inflation. In 2010, the official poverty threshold for a family of four (two adults and two children) was $22,113."
- See more at: Poverty Rates: How a Flawed Measure Drives Policy

Poverty, to be addressed via $1 trillion a year stolen from the public fisc, doesn't exist.
It would be if there were real poverty: no home, no heat, no food.

I see you're still an idiot. Just because someone owns a couple of things that non-impoverished people own doesn't take them out of poverty.

pov·er·ty
ˈpävərdē/
noun
  1. the state of being extremely poor.
    "thousands of families are living in abject poverty"
    synonyms: penury, destitution, pauperism, pauperdom, beggary, indigence, pennilessness,impoverishment, neediness, need, hardship, impecuniousness
    "abject poverty"

I have posted that the Left uses its control of the language to win the argument, and nowhere is this more evident than in the use of the term 'poverty.'

It brings to mind the sort of thing that Dickens wrote about (my apologies to Liberals, who don't read, so cannot make the connection), ....

....in actuality it means "no home, no heat, no food.".
I'm sorry, where are you getting that definition from? Not a dictionary, and not from any professionals in poverty studies or statistics.

So you just decided that that's what poverty should mean and declared it to be "actuality." That's just absurd.

I'm giving the reality based definition of poverty in opposition to the one designed to perpetuate poverty and big government.

This:
"It’s important to remember that the official poverty rate came about largely by happenstance and was not the result of a carefully thought through analysis. An economist named Mollie Orshansky at the Social Security Administration made the first estimate of the poverty rate in 1963. Ms. Orshansky, who died in 2007, had some data from the Department of Agriculture on food budgets for families of different sizes and incomes. She saw that food constituted about a third of spending by poor families and thus assumed that three times the budget for food would approximate the poverty rate.
This back of the envelope calculation was seized upon by the White House under Lyndon Johnson, which turned Orshansky’s figure into the official measure of poverty. Since that time, the original poverty measure of $3,000 for a family of four has simply been increased by the rate of inflation. In 2010, the official poverty threshold for a family of four (two adults and two children) was $22,113."
- See more at: Poverty Rates: How a Flawed Measure Drives Policy

Poverty, to be addressed via $1 trillion a year stolen from the public fisc, doesn't exist.
It would be if there were real poverty: no home, no heat, no food.

I see you're still an idiot. Just because someone owns a couple of things that non-impoverished people own doesn't take them out of poverty.

pov·er·ty
ˈpävərdē/
noun
  1. the state of being extremely poor.
    "thousands of families are living in abject poverty"
    synonyms: penury, destitution, pauperism, pauperdom, beggary, indigence, pennilessness,impoverishment, neediness, need, hardship, impecuniousness
    "abject poverty"

So....reach into your pocket and pay 'em.

New Topics

Forum List

Back