The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

or as i call it...3 fucking hours i will never get back....

1. no i did not read the book....i remember why now

2. too much darkness....3 hours of trying to figure out who is fighting whom and why

3. just too boring...i kept falling asleep...too dark the story and the screen

AND THERE IS NO REASON TO SEE IT IN 3D....no reason at all...

when the damned thing finally ended...i was doing a fist pump of joy...

husband who read the book or books...loved it..but admits it was difficult to figure out and was very dark

o and the elf guy has matured and aged....just not the hotty he was in the first one...or last one...hell i dont know by now....just one more...right?

The Hobbit was only one book. I can't imagine what they are trying to stretch out to a trilogy of movies on this.
Yes, one long book. Haven't seen either yet but I will. Read the Hobbit and the Trilogy as a kid....... Way too many times to count......

Yeah...definitely not as good as the first one. And why the heck is this thing 3 films?
The Dragon was about the best Dragon I have seen in any film.
The spider scene was awesome as far as special effects - but lacking dialog...they didn't talk?
Somehow they have drug this thing out to three films - but yet cut half of what happened in the book...what the heck?

the fucking book is only 300 pages...hello 9 fucking hours out of 300 pages

they dragged....not drug.....

o fuck me running now the hubby is talking about the book....how it establish the shire etc...
and how murk wood was so much more..and how the romance was not in the book....

the fucking book is only 300 pages...hello 9 fucking hours out of 300 pages

they dragged....not drug.....

o fuck me running now the hubby is talking about the book....how it establish the shire etc...
and how murk wood was so much more..and how the romance was not in the book....

The book also did not have the wood elves in it like this.
The wood elves were maybe 10 pages in totality. But because they put in two popular actors - they beefed up there roles waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the book.
And the humans...in the book they barely existed. If you added up everything the humans took up maaaybe 5 pages. Yet a good third of this film was scenes in their village.
This was a bad film.
Clearly used the Hobbit name to suck money out of hopeful fans....bad form.

The Book Hobbit was okay.

The movie would have to be damned long to follow that plot, tho.

The Book Hobbit was okay.

The movie would have to be damned long to follow that plot, tho.

Dude...The Hobbit is a magnificent and well thought out children's masterpiece.
If you read it above the age of...oh...12...then you missed the boat. It was never meant to be read by adults.
The movie, IMO, could have been done in two long films...pushing three hours each.
But what they did - was inject a bunch of fluff pieces to showcase the actors they chose...which made the story even longer...and much less interesting.

I am watching Unexpected Journey right now to remind myself of the storyline, cuz the sister in law told me last night she ordered Desolation of Smaug for me as a prezzie.
Should be here this coming week. :eusa_clap:

I liked the movie. The best part was when Smaug left Erebor and said "I am Death." The cliffhanger was epic. I read The Hobbit in 5th Grade, it captivated me like no other story. So, say what you want about the movie, I loved it and I now own it.

I liked the movie. The best part was when Smaug left Erebor and said "I am Death." The cliffhanger was epic. I read The Hobbit in 5th Grade, it captivated me like no other story. So, say what you want about the movie, I loved it and I now own it.

proving the point that its a children's book and movie.....

I got it in the mail today and just finished watching it. I was surprised to see Orlando Bloom back again as Legolas.

With that said..I liked it, but....I think it was a tad corny with the elf woman and the feeble attempt to make her anything like Arawin...or however her name is spelled. It did drag a bit...but overall...I think I liked it most when the dragon came into play. I also liked it when it showed the beginning of the eyeball thing with LOTRs trilogy and how that all come about.

I wonder when the next one will come out? Lots of unfinished business.

I don't regret buying it.

proving the point that its a children's book and movie.....

Well, gotta give the people credit, the Lord of The Rings trilogy is based off of those same children's books. To adapt something like that into something more palatable for the adult audience takes tremendous talent and renders this fact irrelevant.

Last edited:
LOTR is my fav movie...ever. Every time it is on TV, I watch it. I have seen it maybe 50 times and I will continue to do that.
It's an escape. I love it.

or as i call it...3 fucking hours i will never get back....

1. no i did not read the book....i remember why now

2. too much darkness....3 hours of trying to figure out who is fighting whom and why

3. just too boring...i kept falling asleep...too dark the story and the screen

AND THERE IS NO REASON TO SEE IT IN 3D....no reason at all...

when the damned thing finally ended...i was doing a fist pump of joy...

husband who read the book or books...loved it..but admits it was difficult to figure out and was very dark

o and the elf guy has matured and aged....just not the hotty he was in the first one...or last one...hell i dont know by now....just one more...right?

The Hobbit was only one book. I can't imagine what they are trying to stretch out to a trilogy of movies on this.

You can't?

$$$$$$$$

Desolation was a bit boring at times. And the dwarves bouncing down the river was kind of stupid. As well as the dwarven seduction of elves.

Forum List

Back