The highest-end audio

Holy crap, that's a lot of functionality for $700 : 0
And a lot more. Hit that link at the bottom of the post. I couldn't find the screen shot of the routing matrix, which is extensive, allowing you to send any input (or multiple inputs) to any output (or multiple outputs).

Most of my gear is either pro audio brands you never heard of, or custom built.
Who the fuck are you to tell me what I've heard of? I've been a professional musician for 40 years. While I'm sure you've been an asshole for the same amount of time.

Eat shit and die, buttcake. SO WHAT if you've been a musician. So have I. You're not an engineer, you're not a designer and you don't built your own gear. You obviously don't know jack about anything, much less good sound, otherwise you wouldn't have had the audacity to call those speakers the "highest-end audio!" :auiqs.jpg: You think only musicians and people in studios buy studio monitors?
Holy shit, you're an idiot.
4i6Ckte.gif

OUCH. I'm so deeply offended! ITMT in the real world, you still don't know shit, talk out of your as as much about audio as you do politics and I can only laugh hard as you plan to blow tens of thousands of dollars on crap I could do better for 1/5th the cost! :auiqs.jpg:

Oh sweet Jesus what a howl.

I knew a highly regarded audio engineer who always ran his mixes out to his car to listen on it's stock stereo. Because that's what most people were listening to his mixes on. It just makes sense.

IMG_0495.GIF

Oh Dude, you slay me!
Car stereos now as the arbiter of whether your
recordings and mixes were done right!

You don’t get any higher-end than these new Genelics. And when I win the lottery I may buy a pair.

$4,000 per speaker for these:

Genelec S360 SAM 10 inch 2-way Powered Studio Monitor
View attachment 414107

So now you’re up to 8 grand. But 10” speakers, no matter how good they are, don’t producd bass, so you’ll need a good subwoofer. How about this, for only $10,595? It’s got 3 (three!) 15” speakers powered by an external 2500 watt amp.

Genelec 7382AP SAM Series 3 x 15" 2500W Studio Subwoofer (Producer Black)
View attachment 414108

This is serious gear. Loud, with crystal-clear clarity.
In one week they will be $4 bucks at a garage sale

I knew a highly regarded audio engineer who always ran his mixes out to his car to listen on it's stock stereo. Because that's what most people were listening to his mixes on. It just makes sense.

View attachment 414682

Oh Dude, you slay me!
Car stereos now as the arbiter of whether your
recordings and mixes were done right!
Mastering Engineers check multiple sources for translation, yes - that's how it works. Typically, they favor the sources where the most consumers will be hearing the material. They even reference ear buds that come with your cell-phone.

I don't know why you're mocking synthaholic for elucidating a very basic aspect of music mix/mastering. That's really weird!

Who the fuck are you to tell me what I've heard of? I've been a professional musician for 40 years. While I'm sure you've been an asshole for the same amount of time.
Then why have I not heard of you?
Who were the 50 sound guys that worked on the last movie you watched?

That's probably why.

You know not every musician is a superstar, right bear? Come on, now.

Then why have I not heard of you?
Who were the 50 sound guys that worked on the last movie you watched?

That's probably why.

You know not every musician is a superstar, right bear? Come on, now.
Fair

Holy crap, that's a lot of functionality for $700 : 0
And a lot more. Hit that link at the bottom of the post. I couldn't find the screen shot of the routing matrix, which is extensive, allowing you to send any input (or multiple inputs) to any output (or multiple outputs).
I know my daughter was all excited about getting into this stuff not long ago and invested considerably in some software she'd found after researching it for a while. I don't ask for specifics from her but I wouldn't be surprised she'd found what you're talking about. Problem is she then soon gave up completely after looking into what the next stages would require of her.. As a parent you can try to prepare 'em, but it's ultimately their life to mess up.. just as it was with our own.. Ah, life..

Mastering Engineers check multiple sources for translation, yes - that's how it works. Typically, they favor the sources where the most consumers will be hearing the material. They even reference ear buds that come with your cell-phone.
Sure. For mass-marketed product. I'm strictly interested in advancing the state of the art, not making something that has been EQed to sound very "hi-fi" on the dashboard of a Chevy Cobalt! You see, GT, THE MOMENT YOU DO THAT, you destroy any chance that the recording will sound good on HIGH QUALITY sound systems! So, each engineer must decide what his goal is: in making the best product he can make which will sound BETTER THE HIGHER QUALITY your playback equipment is, or making a product which will sound BETTER THE LOWER QUALITY your playback equipment is.

And anyone worth their salt knows that the better the playback equipment, the more transparent and revealing it is of flaws in the recording, which includes EQ to the bass, even the quality of the recording chain from the mics on down.

I don't know why you're mocking synthaholic for elucidating a very basic aspect of music mix/mastering. That's really weird!
Don't get me wrong, GT-- -- I came here because the OP claimed it was a thread about the highest end in audio, which is strictly a term meant for mainly home playback equipment, but this thread is not about that at all but instead about someone putting a personal home studio together for recording and saving his own work, so right off, his thread title is misleading and violates basic rules for the forum.

It's a totally different realm in pro audio circles, I know because I worked in the pro sound engineering and installation industry decades ago once helping to design the sound system for a place which seated nearly 3,000 people, where features and reliability are the main drive as well as coming in at as LOW a price as possible. The pro sound engineer is mainly interested in getting the features, quality and reliability he needs-- AT AS LOW A PRICE AS HE CAN GET. No one gets jobs based on costing the customer MORE money than they needed to spend! The high end of home playback includes a lot of pro gear, but its goals and standards are also TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Back in the 70s, a friend proved to me that 90% of industry, especially in consumer gear, is based on hype and marketing, and that all gear is built now with designed obsolescence-- -- in other words, decidedly inferior so that they can come out with an "improved" model next year! Not so much with pro sound equipment. People in pro sound want VALUE: a product that performs reliability over a long period of time!

From the 70's on, a friend and I worked on pushing the envelop and improving the technology and I know that nearly all consumer equipment is a rip off. My buddy once built an amp in a coffee can and used to take it around to high end audio salons and invite the owners to listen to their best gear then listen to his coffee-can. In every case, his can amp sounded better, usually WAY better than the expensive stuff on their shelf!

So the real arbiter of sound quality is HOW CLOSE THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE COMES to the live experience. You obviously can't evaluate that in a near field studio with a couple of bookshelf speakers, so it isn't that I'm "mocking anyone on basic aspects of music mix/mastering" because THAT'S NOT WHAT THE THREAD NOR THE TITLE started out or promised to be about!

I'm mocking the industry that lies so much about what good sound is and then rips people off blind.

If you want, I can direct you to a pair of speakers whose STARTING PRICE is $93,000 and tops out at 7.4 million dollars.

My only point here was that most audio gear falls far short of what is really possible and in most cases is marketed at a far higher cost than what it really costs to make it to an obscene degree. Not what it costs in order to SELL IT profitably, but in what it can be engineered for YOURSELF. This has NOTHING to do with mixing panels and the like, but it has everything to do with the fact that for $2,000 - 4,000, an astute person in audio playback engineering could put together a couple of speakers + sub module and the amplifiers needed to drive them, that would easily equal if not surpass what is being offered above for $20,000! And make a nice profit while doing so!

That's all my point here ever was, GT. I've been in recording studios, worked in them, I've played guitars and drums and been in bands, I don't expect the average musician or even recording engineer to understand this because ALL THEY ARE MAINLY INVOLVED IN is making the recording itself, so will naturally buy commercial solutions he knows and trusts at whatever the best price they must pay, then PASS THAT COST onto the consumer.

I came here hoping to read about someone's exploits in the high end to see what they were doing and maybe share some ideas, but its actually a rather common attitude when you try to tell people what is wrong with various gear and why and how it can be done better and cheaper, much less that most of the claims of the audio industry are hype, to get a rather deaf ear. I once knew a guy who spent $14,000 on a pair of speaker cables and got rather offended when I told him that he could have made cables as good himself for under $100.

No one likes to be told they just wasted a buttload of money I guess.

Sure. For mass-marketed product. I'm strictly interested in advancing the state of the art, not making something that has been EQed to sound very "hi-fi" on the dashboard of a Chevy Cobalt! You see, GT, THE MOMENT YOU DO THAT, you destroy any chance that the recording will sound good on HIGH QUALITY sound systems! So, each engineer must decide what his goal is: in making the best product he can make which will sound BETTER THE HIGHER QUALITY your playback equipment is, or making a product which will sound BETTER THE LOWER QUALITY your playback equipment is.

And anyone worth their salt knows that the better the playback equipment, the more transparent and revealing it is of flaws in the recording, which includes EQ to the bass, even the quality of the recording chain from the mics on down.

Don't get me wrong, GT-- -- I came here because the OP claimed it was a thread about the highest end in audio, which is strictly a term meant for mainly home playback equipment, but this thread is not about that at all but instead about someone putting a personal home studio together for recording and saving his own work, so right off, his thread title is misleading and violates basic rules for the forum.

It's a totally different realm in pro audio circles, I know because I worked in the pro sound engineering and installation industry decades ago once helping to design the sound system for a place which seated nearly 3,000 people, where features and reliability are the main drive as well as coming in at as LOW a price as possible. The pro sound engineer is mainly interested in getting the features, quality and reliability he needs-- AT AS LOW A PRICE AS HE CAN GET. No one gets jobs based on costing the customer MORE money than they needed to spend! The high end of home playback includes a lot of pro gear, but its goals and standards are also TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Back in the 70s, a friend proved to me that 90% of industry, especially in consumer gear, is based on hype and marketing, and that all gear is built now with designed obsolescence-- -- in other words, decidedly inferior so that they can come out with an "improved" model next year! Not so much with pro sound equipment. People in pro sound want VALUE: a product that performs reliability over a long period of time!

From the 70's on, a friend and I worked on pushing the envelop and improving the technology and I know that nearly all consumer equipment is a rip off. My buddy once built an amp in a coffee can and used to take it around to high end audio salons and invite the owners to listen to their best gear then listen to his coffee-can. In every case, his can amp sounded better, usually WAY better than the expensive stuff on their shelf!

So the real arbiter of sound quality is HOW CLOSE THE LISTENING EXPERIENCE COMES to the live experience. You obviously can't evaluate that in a near field studio with a couple of bookshelf speakers, so it isn't that I'm "mocking anyone on basic aspects of music mix/mastering" because THAT'S NOT WHAT THE THREAD NOR THE TITLE started out or promised to be about!

I'm mocking the industry that lies so much about what good sound is and then rips people off blind.

If you want, I can direct you to a pair of speakers whose STARTING PRICE is $93,000 and tops out at 7.4 million dollars.

My only point here was that most audio gear falls far short of what is really possible and in most cases is marketed at a far higher cost than what it really costs to make it to an obscene degree. Not what it costs in order to SELL IT profitably, but in what it can be engineered for YOURSELF. This has NOTHING to do with mixing panels and the like, but it has everything to do with the fact that for $2,000 - 4,000, an astute person in audio playback engineering could put together a couple of speakers + sub module and the amplifiers needed to drive them, that would easily equal if not surpass what is being offered above for $20,000! And make a nice profit while doing so!

That's all my point here ever was, GT. I've been in recording studios, worked in them, I've played guitars and drums and been in bands, I don't expect the average musician or even recording engineer to understand this because ALL THEY ARE MAINLY INVOLVED IN is making the recording itself, so will naturally buy commercial solutions he knows and trusts at whatever the best price they must pay, then PASS THAT COST onto the consumer.

I came here hoping to read about someone's exploits in the high end to see what they were doing and maybe share some ideas, but its actually a rather common attitude when you try to tell people what is wrong with various gear and why and how it can be done better and cheaper, much less that most of the claims of the audio industry are hype, to get a rather deaf ear. I once knew a guy who spent $14,000 on a pair of speaker cables and got rather offended when I told him that he could have made cables as good himself for under $100.

No one likes to be told they just wasted a buttload of money I guess.
I think you might have become a bit of a snob, which is not relatable to the average consumer of music. That's not an insult - just an observation.

When the best records that were ever produced were produced on subpar/cheap gear, that speaks to the heart of what is going on in this discussion. It's not 7.4 million dollar speakers...it's relatability, and the sales come from people wanting to hear the music. Music is subjective - and the only objective thing we can point to as any type of standard is probably sales.

I'm sure the greatest symphony ever written was by someone that nobody's ever heard of and who will never be famous. That's the counter argument to sales being any type of benchmark - but it's the only one that we've got.

I think Country Music is shitty. Millions of people disagree with me. Who wins? Nobody - I won't be a snob.

You think the monitors in the OP are shitty - there's been classic albums mixed on MUCH WORSE than those. Much...much worse.

I think you might have become a bit of a snob, which is not relatable to the average consumer of music. That's not an insult - just an observation.
When the best records that were ever produced were produced on subpar/cheap gear, that speaks to the heart of what is going on in this discussion. It's not 7.4 million dollar speakers...it's relatability, and the sales come from people wanting to hear the music. Music is subjective - and the only objective thing we can point to as any type of standard is probably sales.
I'm sure the greatest symphony ever written was by someone that nobody's ever heard of and who will never be famous. That's the counter argument to sales being any type of benchmark - but it's the only one that we've got.
I think Country Music is shitty. Millions of people disagree with me. Who wins? Nobody - I won't be a snob.
You think the monitors in the OP are shitty - there's been classic albums mixed on MUCH WORSE than those. Much...much worse.

Sorry you don't understand, GT, this isn't about sales or snobbery-- -- I don't give strangers details about my own personal home system to impress people who I don't even know and will never meet, but to give others some idea hopefully a little of what really goes into the full sound reproduction process.

The LP is widely ripped and the entire CD industry was based on failings of the LP that were never failings of the LP at all but instead about the failings of the playback equipment 99.9% of the people out there were sold to listen to them on wholly inadequate to the task.

Sales is about sheer profits in volume but if audio was only about sales and not performance, we would all be driving Fords and there would be no Lamborghinis or Bugatti Veyrons.

Audio is about music, and music, like a fine wine is about an acquired taste and a certain skill. Like all things, it flows along a bell curve with the majority at the bottom listening to AC/DC on Sony Walkmans, but like a fine wine, it isn't always about sales-- -- some people prefer to drink a fine cabernet sauvignon while others would rather settle for some Maddog 50/50 because they don't have the acquired taste.

To some, the listening experience of fine music is a deeply personal experience with highly trained ears and years in acquired music appreciation, not sales. To some, audio is about pride in engineering excellence in setting new standards. That is why some people are willing to spend vast amounts of money on the very best gear, or spend years of their life developing and building their own, and why some people design and build an FM tuner so good that 45 years after being made, people are still willing to pay $9,000 for one, USED.

That's not about sales at all, but it is about attaining and realizing a certain ideal in engineering quality and musical performance.

Sorry you don't understand, GT, this isn't about sales or snobbery-- -- I don't give strangers details about my own personal home system to impress people who I don't even know and will never meet, but to give others some idea hopefully a little of what really goes into the full sound reproduction process.

The LP is widely ripped and the entire CD industry was based on failings of the LP that were never failings of the LP at all but instead about the failings of the playback equipment 99.9% of the people out there were sold to listen to them on wholly inadequate to the task.

Sales is about sheer profits in volume but if audio was only about sales and not performance, we would all be driving Fords and there would be no Lamborghinis or Bugatti Veyrons.

Audio is about music, and music, like a fine wine is about an acquired taste and a certain skill. Like all things, it flows along a bell curve with the majority at the bottom listening to AC/DC on Sony Walkmans, but like a fine wine, it isn't always about sales-- -- some people prefer to drink a fine cabernet sauvignon while others would rather settle for some Maddog 50/50 because they don't have the acquired taste.

To some, the listening experience of fine music is a deeply personal experience with highly trained ears and years in acquired music appreciation, not sales. To some, audio is about pride in engineering excellence in setting new standards. That is why some people are willing to spend vast amounts of money on the very best gear, or spend years of their life developing and building their own, and why some people design and build an FM tuner so good that 45 years after being made, people are still willing to pay $9,000 for one, USED.

That's not about sales at all, but it is about attaining and realizing a certain ideal in engineering quality and musical performance.
You misread my post and then said a bunch of super obvious things about people having different tastes. It seems like you just like to hear yourself rant.

"to some..."

"to some..."

"to some..."

Uh, yeah no shit. And unfortunately, you missed my point about sales, too. Sales is about profits (obvious unnecessary comment you made)...but without demand you dont have any sales...the implication I was driving at. If everyone thinks your album sounds like shit - you get no sales.

If some sound snot named tube freak on the internet thinks your mastering engineer did a shitty job because he used a pair of 10k monitors and mastered your album...but 20million people disagree, then tube freak's opinion doesnt mean very much in your world. That was the point about sales. They speak.

...but without demand you dont have any sales...

Apparently my point WASN'T so obvious after all as you still utterly miss what I'm talking about and don't seem to have the ability nor ears to understand about the personal constraints of engineering something yourself to attain a goal because of its difficulty, rarity and excellence because you've never done it. Fine.

What about good home recording equipment? I've been messing around with NCH music software and recording my own stuff on an iPhone6 voice memo app. :)I'm thinking there's better stuff than that. Any recommendations?

...but without demand you dont have any sales...

Apparently my point WASN'T so obvious after all as you still utterly miss what I'm talking about and don't seem to have the ability nor ears to understand about the personal constraints of engineering something yourself to attain a goal because of its difficulty, rarity and excellence because you've never done it. Fine.
That's all nice, but it's not what most folks are after. Nobody wants 7 million dollar speakers...not even most Billionaires. That's a waste of fuckin money. That's the entire point.

You can be a sound snoot off on your little island...just like wine snoots are... but the actual music industry has done fine on shitty equipment with talented artists and engineers gluing it all together. That's what more folks seem to identify with.

What about good home recording equipment? I've been messing around with NCH music software and recording my own stuff on an iPhone6 voice memo app. :)I'm thinking there's better stuff than that. Any recommendations?
Need a budget and I can recommend you a set-up for within that budget.

These look like seriously sweet speakers.
But I'm kinda sold on my Bowers & Wilkins (two towers and a sub) at a fraction of the cost.
They're now ten years old and sound as good as the day I bought 'em!

Forum List

Back