The hero

Crow

Oct 30, 2010
Many former and current soldiers can probably identify with the message this song conveys. Its not pro-war, its not anti-war. Its simply about the internal struggle a warrior must face.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXrdoL_-e1s[/ame]

The blade I swing
Is black as night
Black as my soulless heart
It bears the burden
Of many lives
But I don't feel remorse

I lent my sword
To anyone
Willing to pay the price
No regrets for
What I've done
A mercenary's life

But there i was
On battleground
Until I felt the jaws of death
Cut into my flesh
Defending old and weak
But I did not retreat

Now, here I lie
In my own blood
And strangers cry for me
I'm prepared to meet the gods
I wish they'd let me be

I don't deserve
Their sympathy
I know who I am
My soul is death and misery
I am an evil man

I rest in my blood
Soon I will face the gods
Strangers cry for me
I wish they'd let me be

Show no sympathy
Shed no tears for me
I know who I am
I am an evil man

I know who I am
I am an evil man

I have often tried to put myself in their shoes, but I know the only way to do that, is to actually put my life on the line as they have done.

I salute all of those who served for the sake of Freedom. In that service, there is much sacrifice.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWxfaa65a_Q[/ame]

I could put my head through the windshield of a car while listening to this song :lol:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBp1AlRgPIk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBp1AlRgPIk[/ame]

Many former and current soldiers can probably identify with the message this song conveys. Its not pro-war, its not anti-war. Its simply about the internal struggle a warrior must face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXrdoL_-e1s

The blade I swing
Is black as night
Black as my soulless heart
It bears the burden
Of many lives
But I don't feel remorse

I lent my sword
To anyone
Willing to pay the price
No regrets for
What I've done
A mercenary's life

But there i was
On battleground
Until I felt the jaws of death
Cut into my flesh
Defending old and weak
But I did not retreat

Now, here I lie
In my own blood
And strangers cry for me
I'm prepared to meet the gods
I wish they'd let me be

I don't deserve
Their sympathy
I know who I am
My soul is death and misery
I am an evil man

I rest in my blood
Soon I will face the gods
Strangers cry for me
I wish they'd let me be

Show no sympathy
Shed no tears for me
I know who I am
I am an evil man

I know who I am
I am an evil man

I've seen them twice. Great show. I always felt they were better live than in studio

Many former and current soldiers can probably identify with the message this song conveys.
I know who I am
I am an evil man​

Yeah, probably not.

Dont be intentionally dense. The man in the song is full of self loathing for what he's done, doesnt feel that he is worthy of sympathy. He's called a hero, but doesnt feel like one. Its a song about a tormented soul.

Many former and current soldiers can probably identify with the message this song conveys.
I know who I am
I am an evil man​

Yeah, probably not.

Dont be intentionally dense. The man in the song is full of self loathing for what he's done, doesnt feel that he is worthy of sympathy. He's called a hero, but doesnt feel like one. Its a song about a tormented soul.
I don't know any soldiers like that. Do you?

Yeah, probably not.

I don't know any soldiers like that. Do you?

I knew that this thread was going to attract at least one person of your ilk. You are on the hunt for someone who disagrees with your narrow mindset, trying to goad me into admitting that I think soldiers are evil men.

I do not believe that. Nor do I believe that soldiers are beyond reproach.

A soldier does not lose his humanity simply by virtue of his "soldierhood". They are not superhuman comic book heroes who never question themselves, because their fight is unquestionably justified. This song is not an accusation towards all fighting men, its a story of a man who has killed so many, he feels convinced he must be evil, and is appalled at the sympathy he receives whilst he lie dying, sympathy he feels he does not deserve.

Yes, I do know a former soldier and when I shared this song with him, the meaning of it was not lost on him. I told him that I wont pretend to understand what he has went through, but I thought the lyrics might have a special meaning to him. And they did. He did not take offense, but was incredibly appreciative of someone who at least attempts to understand the horrors of war, the nightmarish existence he experienced and still struggles with to this day. No corny lyrics about noble sacrifices and the good ol' stars n' stripes, but a brutal tale of a man who is consumed by inner demons.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back