"The greatest thing in history"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Quatermass, May 15, 2009.

1. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The Japanese valiant attack on slumbering Pearl Harbour will go down in history as a bold and brave military manoeuvre, with virtually no civilian losses, and certainly more killed as a result of U.S. 'friendly fire'.

The American sneak dropping of Atomic bombs on hundreds of thousands of civilians on the other hand will go down in history as one of the most cowardly endeavours known to Man. A chapter which adequately characterises the modern American nation, and its political leadership.

Unable to face the Japanese in conventional direct warfare. Instead turning on the Japanese soldier's women and children at home, behind the war lines. Vaporising hundreds of thousands of innocents as they make their way to school and as they journey out, shopping.

Continuing the theme, still active and precipitated by Yukon: http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/75083-the-greatest-war-crime.html I again raise the spectre of the Terroristic countenance modern American Imperialism represents (See also: http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-m...ions-of-afghanistan-and-iraq.html#post1156878 ) in order to determine the views of those torchbearers of ethical rectitude that frequent U.S.Messageboard's religious pages.

[​IMG]
    Ace Japanese fighter/bomber pilots skilfully engage military targets in the daringly orchestrated attack on Pearl Harbour.

The following is an excerpt from: "Hiroshima was no longer a city"
    By Mikki Smith ( full article: ISR issue 13 | "Hiroshima was no longer a city" )On August 6, 1945, a single uranium bomb, nicknamed "Little Boy," was dropped on the city of Hiroshima. Three days later--and despite the likelihood of an immediate surrender by Japan--a plutonium bomb, "Fat Man," was dropped on the city of Nagasaki. Now the whole world--in particular, Russia, the other main contender for postwar dominance--could see the devastating power of these new kinds of weapons. The United States had demonstrated beyond the shadow of a doubt that it would not hesitate to annihilate countless civilian men, women, and children in order to accomplish its aims. The U.S. hoped that such "atomic diplomacy" would secure its position as world superpower in the postwar period.

"The greatest thing in history"
    As President Harry S. Truman ate lunch on the Augusta, returning home from his meeting at Potsdam with British Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill and USSR Premier Joseph Stalin, he was given the news of the bombing of Hiroshima. Elated, he told the group of sailors around him, "This is the greatest thing in history."(2) The cause for his celebration was the incineration of Hiroshima's infrastructure and tens of thousands of its inhabitants.

Note.
    2. Quoted in Richard Rhodes, The Making of the Atomic Bomb (New York: Simon & Schuster, 1986), p. 734.

[​IMG]

Infanticide victim 4 year old Shinichi Tetsutani's partially melted tricycle remains a poignant icon for the illegal and amoral, unbridled barbarity of U.S. Imperialist aggression.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    What a dumbass. :lol:

I'm ethically opposed to what we did at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but to act as if the Japanese actions at Pearl Harbor were praiseworthy is completely ridiculous. If you truly cared about "imperialist aggression," you'd oppose the attacks at Pearl Harbor. The entire purpose behind the attacks was to cripple America's Pacific fleet so that Japan could continue its imperialistic conquest of eastern and southeastern Asia unhindered. To pretend that the Japanese were morally superior to the European colonizers whose Asian holdings they wanted for themselves, or to the United States, makes no sense whatsoever.

That you've ignored Japan's own war crime, which exceeded America's war crime in severity by far, attests to your hopeless ignorance.

Educate yourself: Nanking Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    O.M.G. :eek:

4. Quatermass

Quatermass Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    As per usual Kalam you fail to grasp the point at issue. Could this be a persistent character flaw, in your desperate attempts to court acceptance and favour as a Muslim in the U.S. ?

So where do I voice a support for Japan’s war crimes Kalam ? All my contributions are relentlessly critical of crimes against civilians during periods of war. Where do I take a supporting stance for 1940s Japan’s empire building ambitions in Asia in my post Kalam ? I merely remarked on the contrast between the forthright and bold strike Japan’s navy fleet delivered as opposed to the shameful and impious disregard for all fundamental war conventions displayed in the US response at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

In your subjective, patriotic reaction to this event you make foolish assumptions about issues I haven’t raised and fail to recognize the superiority of Japan’s forces in this instance, which only betrays bias.

Their actions at Pearl Harbour serve as a blueprint for military precision, (take note American / Israeli service personnel), for proper conduct during International conflict (take note Abu Ghraib prison guards and Vietnam vet’s) and for a level of personal self sacrifice which surpasses the culture of friendly-fire-now ask questions later that is so redolent in every U.S. manoeuvre.

I don’t suppose you’ll appreciate that an old enemy can teach the World’s bully a thing or two;

But there it is.

[​IMG]
    Young teenaged girl lies in the agonies of atomic trauma, courtesy of U.S.A.F. heroes.

5. TofuDog

TofuDog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    quatermass, I'm a little hungry, go make me some eggrolls and a #4.

6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    the us showed mercy in warning them....they were warned...do you no innocents died at pearl harbor...no women...no children....

7. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I thought it was sliced bread.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Yes, the Attack on Pearl Harbor was a magnificent military attack.

But your outrage about how badly the USA treated them by dropping TWO ATOMIC weapons, needs to be put into the light of the times, too.

And what were those times? Were they valiant brilliant military actions on the part of the Japanese?

Or were they also a litany of Japanese war crimes against civilians during that time?

We were facing MONSTERS who'd taken over the Japanese culture and turned it from something foreign but understandable, to something truly horrid.

In light of the TIMES, the US response to Japanese aggression was not, repeat, NOT inhumane.

In retrospect, we can and should question whether or not the atomic bombs were absolutely necessary, of course.

But given the following, Japan is just god damned lucky that cooler heads prevailed after Japan surrendered.

What do you suppose the CHINESE would have done to the Japanese had they had the hammer in 1945.

Do you think a single Japanese person would have survived a CHINESE takeover?

Quatermass, you need to read the following to understand the times and the enemy we were facing.

source

If you STILL think that he Americans were war criminals because we ended the war using atoimic weapons, then I honestly do NOT think you're an honest player, here.

I believe that, given the above, if you still think America was the greatest war criminal of the century, then your anti-American prejudices are blinding such that you cannot honestly evaluate American history.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    The rape of Nanking was a nice move.

10. TofuDog

TofuDog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Quatermass, you all better be good little zipperheads or the US will have to nuke your bony asses again.