The great caliber debate...

Depends on the expected use but in general .45 ACP in a pistol and .357mag. or .44mag in a revolver.

Interesting and informative. Perhaps I like that it confirms my preference for my Ruger .357.

Revolvers; don't take two hands to cock, never jam.
If you keep a bullet in the chamber, you don't have to cock (load) it. If you use the right size ammunition, and keep it clean, gun won't jam. Semiautomatics reload faster.

It is a fascinating video. I think it should effectively end the debate on many of the handgun calibers. I have long maintained that the shooter is far more important than the gun. If you pick your defensive handgun based on how the gun fits your hand and how well it points (for you), you will be better off than going with the "latest & greatest" according to the internet gurus.

I love my M1911 .45ACP. It fits my hand better than any double stack semi auto I have ever held. I like shooting it. That means I shoot it more. Which means I am better with it.

The .357 Mag is another great round for self defense. Easily handled by most shooters and just as deadly. I am a big fan of revolvers. We have 3 revolvers in the house for self defense. One of the pluses of revolvers is the ability to shoot specialty ammo. All 3 of our revolvers have .38 Special shotshells chambered for the first shot. Not lethal unless you are close enough to leave powder burns. But certainly a huge distraction for the criminal. Pop that round off from across the living room or down the hall, and they are not shooting back for a second or two, at least. The 5 rounds of quality .357 Mag that follow will solve the problem.

For preppers, as 9th said, range and accuracy were not discussed. I love my .45 and .357 for close range or in home defense. But I would hate to rely on it at ranges typically encountered outdoors. Yes, I have seen the videos that show people hitting targets way out there with 9mms. But that is not practical.

The claims that revolvers are outdated or obsolete are simply nonsense. Revolvers are typically more accurate and they allow for the use of specialty ammo. Jamming is so rare as to be a non-factor. If the ammo fails in a semi-auto, there are actions to be taken. But they involve both hands and you must take the gun down so you are not sighting down the barrel. With a revolver, you simply pull the trigger again. At most you cock the hammer and pull the trigger again.

Also, with semi autos there is some debate on the safety of having a round in the chamber. A loaded revolver is ready to go. No manual safety involved. And modern revolvers, like Ruger, are safer to carry due to their transfer bar system. Drop it on the hammer and the gun still won't fire.

If you keep a bullet in the chamber, you don't have to cock (load) it. If you use the right size ammunition, and keep it clean, gun won't jam. Semiautomatics reload faster.

Jams are less common now than they once were. But they are still far more likely than with a revolver.

45 vs 9.jpeg

I found this interesting...

What do you think?

I think it’s like fishing lures. Every fisherman will tell you which one is best, others will tell you which they are more confidant in.

Look at famous gun fighters. Bill Hickock was probably pretty bad ass. It’s likely he used .36 cal revolvers powered by black powder. Pretty puny stuff, but he was as deadly as the plague with them.

So for me 9mm is the one. Sure, a .357 mag is way more powerful, but I shoot the 9 faster and more accurate. .357 is my number 2 in a revolver. Both can be had in carbines as well. I like either 124gr FMJ+P and 147gr bonded hollow point.

...Semiautomatics reload faster.

Tell that to Jerry Michelik

Not everyone is Jerry...in fact almost nobody is.

No they are not. But, with practice, anyone can get proficient enough with speedloaders to be within 1 or 2 seconds of semi auto reload speed.

Plus, reloading is a vastly over-rated part of gun fights. The number of times someone reloaded is miniscule. The last article I read (I'll try to find it) was a 5 year study of both police and civilian gun fights and had (I believe) only 2 reloads. Most of the time there were only 2 shots or less fired. When there were more than 2 the shooter typically emptied their gun.

Forum List

Back