The Government Forcing Morality?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Coloradomtnman, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    On another thread I read the following:

With your permission Avatar4321.

I don't see how Prop. 8 isn't doing exactly that (beside legitimizing).

And yours, asterism.

Using the government to force moral issues IS conservative, in my opinion. Look at abortion. If the word conservative hadn't appeared in asterism's quote, one would think it was a liberal's posting they were reading.

I don't see how this is the government forcing anything on anyone. It seems more like the government staying out of it. The government didn't defend Prop. 8. Proponents of Prop. 8 legislation defended it in court.

The people of California said they don't want official same-sex marriage allowed in their state. It was challenged. It's in court. I believe eventually it will go to the SCOTUS. If they strike down Prop. 8 as unconstitutional, then the same-sex marriage will be allowed to happen and not forced on anyone. It the SCOTUS upholds Prop. 8 then the government will force homosexuals to not get married. So, on whom is the government forcing anything? Proponents whose marriages will not be affected or homosexuals whose marriages will be so affected as to become non-existant and impossible? Something tells me that it will be found unconstitutional. Something about that "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" thing. If it is, then the government simply steps out of the picture. People of the same sex can get married. No government interference. Anyone who doesn't want to isn't forced to marry someone of the same sex, just like, currently, anyone who doesn't want to isn't forced to marry at all.

Conservatives talk often of wanting "smaller government" but then want to outlaw abortions, same-sex marriage, marijuana (at least keep it illegal depdending on where you live), and other social issues.

I don't get it.

Conservatives want small government except when it comes to our personal lives?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Well that, and lucrative defense contracts.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    IMHO

Having something against the law or not giving special treatment to a group, is not the same as supporting big government...

Smaller government would more correctly match the notion of ridding ourselves of the 'oh so necessary' agencies like Administration for Native Americans, Agency for International Development, Arctic Research Commission, Housing and Urban Development Department (HUD), Merit Systems Protection Board, Multifamily Housing Office, Social Security Administration (SSA), Susquehanna River Basin Commission, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, etc

4. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    The reason I oppose legal abortions is because I think all humans have Constitutional rights. Morality has nothing to do with it. If we allow the government to decide and enforce moral issues we then cede control of morality to it.

5. Coloradomtnman

Coloradomtnman Rational and proud of it.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    But wouldn't opposition to theft, murder, fraud, etc. fall under the government forcing morality onto us? Or do you think the government enforces its laws because of our Consitutional rights?

6. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
    The latter.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,380
    All Prop 8 does is show the Government has preference of some relationships over others

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    there is now over 50% of Rs who support gay marriage.

You dweebs can now shitcan this false outrage over people marrying who they love no matter what parts they have.

Its a dead duck and every day that passes more ancient voters pass into the next world who were trained from childhood to hate "the gay".

You will need to find another trumped up issue to beat to death.

9. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,759
    I am a Democrat because I believe that we should take our noses out of other people's bedrooms. I say we move the noses to their banks and storage sheds and scout troops, and so forth.

10. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    You are in the minority even in the R party if you hate "the Gay".

Keep beating your head against the wall for all the good it does you.