The Gospel of Unbelief

dmp said:
Not true - All sects of Christianity MUST believe the Bible. Without that baseline of belief, they are NOT christians.
My point was, the decision whether or not to excommunicate someone from the church or not is subjective among the different sects.

The ClayTaurus said:
My point was, the decision whether or not to excommunicate someone from the church or not is subjective among the different sects.

...but it's not subjective among Christians. Christians have guidelines (soft rules/suggestions) on when it's best to cut-bait.

'Other churches' create their own criteria.

dmp said:
...but it's not subjective among Christians. Christians have guidelines (soft rules/suggestions) on when it's best to cut-bait.

'Other churches' create their own criteria.
Exactly. Soft rules/suggestions. It's not a fine line. It's a blurry one. Quit being so unagreeable :)

jillian said:
Yes. But how literally the Bible is accepted depends upon the sect.

Not true...not really. How literally the bible is accepted is based mostly upon Common Sense among Christians. Like other people, there are Christians with NO common sense.

They Literally cut their hands off if they 'sin' with their hands - nevermind the CLEAR illustration of that point; they only read the words written w/o regard to context.

Like The ClayTaurus.

;)

The criteria to remove a member (hehe, I said 'member') from a group is based on the guidelines we were given in the Bible. THOSE GUIDELINES are not up for debate; God has given us measuring tools (hehe, I said "Clay") allowing us to figure out the heart of an offender before removing them, lest they destroy the group and junk and stuff.

dmp said:
The criteria to remove a member (hehe, I said 'member') from a group is based on the guidelines we were given in the Bible. THOSE GUIDELINES are not up for debate; God has given us measuring tools (hehe, I said "Clay") allowing us to figure out the heart of an offender before removing them, lest they destroy the group and junk and stuff.

Indeed. And the first part of that process is to confront a member with their sin, so that they can choose to repent. If they repent, then the process is over, and the person is in a right relationship with God. :) If not, then you get into bringing in witnesses, asking people to leave a church congregation, etc. Really sad stuff. :(

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
dmp said:
Not true...not really. How literally the bible is accepted is based mostly upon Common Sense among Christians. Like other people, there are Christians with NO common sense.

They Literally cut their hands off if they 'sin' with their hands - nevermind the CLEAR illustration of that point; they only read the words written w/o regard to context.

Like The ClayTaurus.

;)

Most sects don't construe the bible literally because they aren't fundamentalists. I've always kind of wondered about any group that thinks they are the only ones who know the path to heaven.

jillian said:
Most sects don't construe the bible literally because they aren't fundamentalists. I've always kind of wondered about any group that thinks they are the only ones who know the path to heaven.

Which sects are against gayness? Or condemn homos, or however you want to phrase it?

jillian said:

Why don't they convert to christianity then. It's just be easier for everyone involved wouldn't it?

jillian said:

Any faith worth having claims to be the true path. (shrug).

Christ is the SINGLE way to God. To Heaven. The Bible lays out the one-true-way to Heaven. There are NO exceptions. Unless a man believe in Christ, and the words Christ spoke, and the actions Christ took, he will NOT see God. There is NO room in my faith for allowing my faith could be wrong.

Would YOU believe in something you knew or figured or suspected may not be true?

dmp said:
Any faith worth having claims to be the true path. (shrug).

Christ is the SINGLE way to God. To Heaven. The Bible lays out the one-true-way to Heaven. There are NO exceptions. Unless a man believe in Christ, and the words Christ spoke, and the actions Christ took, he will NOT see God. There is NO room in my faith for allowing my faith could be wrong.

Would YOU believe in something you knew or figured or suspected may not be true?

I would figure it's true for ME, but I also realize that everyone thinks their beliefs are the true ones. I figure I'll find out when I get to heaven. :D

Really have to run now. Interesting conversation.

Laterz!

jillian said:
I would figure it's true for ME, but I also realize that everyone thinks their beliefs are the true ones. I figure I'll find out when I get to heaven. :D

Laterz!

"true for ME" -- The beginning of the end of communication and civilization

jillian said:

Actually, most denominations (not sects) of Christianity do interpret the Bible literally, not because they are fundementalist, but because orthodox Christianity has always taken the Bible to be the inspired word of God. It has not been until recently that liberal theologians have decided to say that the Bible contains the Word of God (instead of the orthodox teaching that the Bible is the Word of God), allowing them to say that parts of the Bible shouldn't be taken for what they say.

jillian said:

Laterz!

The "true for me" thing, also known as moral relativism, is a house built upon the sand. You're not really going to stick to that, are you? :)

gop_jeff said:
The "true for me" thing, also known as moral relativism, is a house built upon the sand. You're not really going to stick to that, are you? :)

It's their way of shaming everyone else off their beliefs so they can institute the new world order.

gop_jeff said:

You do realize that the 72-virgin nutters also think they're right, don't you? And they use the same unwavering belief in their rightness to justify atrocities.

People should just stay out of each others' beliefs if those beliefs don't hurt anyone, IMO.

So...yeah...EVERYONE thinks they are right or they wouldn't hold to their belief systems. The only thing that makes anyone feel they are more correct than anyone else is .... FAITH!

Now...faith in and of itself is a wonderful thing. Faith used for bad stuff isn't. (Though everyone who does terrible things because of faith will tell you that they are doing so to "save" everyone else.)

rtwngAvngr said:
It's their way of shaming everyone else off their beliefs so they can institute the new world order.

Well, why should you have any say over anyone else's beliefs? Seems like you're the one who wants the "new world order"...just so long as it's your order. :clap:

gop_jeff said:
Actually, most denominations (not sects) of Christianity do interpret the Bible literally, not because they are fundementalist, but because orthodox Christianity has always taken the Bible to be the inspired word of God. It has not been until recently that liberal theologians have decided to say that the Bible contains the Word of God (instead of the orthodox teaching that the Bible is the Word of God), allowing them to say that parts of the Bible shouldn't be taken for what they say.

How does the above statement marry with this one:

Originally Posted by gop_jeff
Indeed it does say that. However, if you read through the entire Bible, you'll see that much of the Old Testament law dealing with sanitation, animal sacrifices, clothing laws, etc., was overridden and replaced with the covenant of grace through Christ.

Forum List

Back