The 'God Gap' Between Republicans and Democrats

R

rdean

The 'God Gap' Between Republicans and Democrats Closed: Values Voters on the Left

christianity-not-crime.gif

Conservatives are focused on two main issues -- abortion and same-sex marriage -- while liberals spread their concerns more widely and focus on pocketbook issues like poverty and health care and jobs.

Given a list of eight issues, 83 percent of conservatives listed abortion as a priority and 65 percent said same-sex marriage. Immigration (26 percent) and poverty (23 percent) were well down the list, with health care (10 percent) and the environment (6 percent) barely making the cut. Eight in 10 conservatives also want to have marriage legally defined as between one man and one woman, while six in 10 progressives want marriage defined as the union of two people of either gender.

For liberals, poverty (74 percent), health care (67 percent), the environment (56 percent), jobs/economy (48 percent) and the Iraq war (45 percent) dominate their attention. Same-sex marriage (8 percent) and abortion (7 percent) were almost afterthoughts, showing the religious divide between social justice and personal morality appears wider than ever.

In fact, more than nine in 10 conservatives (92 percent) say the chief cause of America's problems is "moral decay," while just 4 percent cite poverty and discrimination.

Hmm, seems to me that the conservatives are concerned with the size, weight, and intrusiveness of government. Oh yea, also at which level of government certain issues belong in our federal system. Concern about taxes, a government that is working hard at destroying the jobs left.

Seems the Democrats want to grow the debt and power of the Federal government. They want to make as many people as possible dependent on the government, not themselves.

Abortion and same sex marriage aren't even on the map. Thank you Rdean and Axelrod.

Rdean's talking points: Axelrod: Abortion Will 'Certainly Be An Issue' In The Election

Hmm, seems to me that the conservatives are concerned with the size, weight, and intrusiveness of government. Oh yea, also at which level of government certain issues belong in our federal system. Concern about taxes, a government that is working hard at destroying the jobs left.

Seems the Democrats want to grow the debt and power of the Federal government. They want to make as many people as possible dependent on the government, not themselves.

Abortion and same sex marriage aren't even on the map. Thank you Rdean and Axelrod.

Rdean's talking points: Axelrod: Abortion Will 'Certainly Be An Issue' In The Election

I don't think there is a state Republican platform without an anti gay clause. Insisting gays can't share the benefits of marriage IS anti gay.

I don't think
there is a state Republican platform without an anti gay clause. Insisting gays can't share the benefits of marriage IS anti gay.

no, you don't. kudos on taking the first step in recovery. :clap2:

2010 Platform | Massachusetts GOP

I don't think
there is a state Republican platform without an anti gay clause. Insisting gays can't share the benefits of marriage IS anti gay.

How many did you have to look through to find the Republican Party platform for one small northern state that wasn't anti gay? In Texas, they want to make gay marriage a "felony". I suspect more Republicans share the views of Texas.

I would have been surprised if ALL Republicans state platforms were against the gays. Or not.

It's amusing to see an athiest try to explain why his party is closer to God.

People who know God stand for the freedom and liberty of the world and the right of individuals to worship as they choose and to rise or fail on their own actions.

I don't think

How many did you have to look through to find the Republican Party platform for one small northern state that wasn't anti gay? In Texas, they want to make gay marriage a "felony". I suspect more Republicans share the views of Texas.

I would have been surprised if ALL Republicans state platforms were against the gays. Or not.

Closest I've come to negging for a post written in honesty. Damn. You are such a tool, rdean.

Closest I've come to negging for a post written in honesty. Damn. You are such a tool, rdean.

I looked through a dozen state Republican Platforms and every single one had something anti gay. From making gays criminal to banning gay adoption to making gay marriage a felony. Just singling gays out specifically to deny them what others can easily gat is "discrimination", there is no other way around it.

The ones I read were also anti women's rights. Massachusetts was the first one I saw that wasn't anti women's rights.

I never said they were all anti gay or all anti women's rights, but from the dozen or so I read and the single one that someone pointed out, wouldn't you say there was definitely a "trend"?????

Republicans can't possibly, even remotely suggest that the majority of their political party isn't anti gay or anti women's rights. It would be like saying that very close to 90% of the Republican Party isn't white and mostly Christian. It just wouldn't be true.

And that is about as honest as you can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 'God Gap' Between Republicans and Democrats Closed: Values Voters on the Left

christianity-not-crime.gif

Conservatives are focused on two main issues -- abortion and same-sex marriage -- while liberals spread their concerns more widely and focus on pocketbook issues like poverty and health care and jobs.

Given a list of eight issues, 83 percent of conservatives listed abortion as a priority and 65 percent said same-sex marriage. Immigration (26 percent) and poverty (23 percent) were well down the list, with health care (10 percent) and the environment (6 percent) barely making the cut. Eight in 10 conservatives also want to have marriage legally defined as between one man and one woman, while six in 10 progressives want marriage defined as the union of two people of either gender.

For liberals, poverty (74 percent), health care (67 percent), the environment (56 percent), jobs/economy (48 percent) and the Iraq war (45 percent) dominate their attention. Same-sex marriage (8 percent) and abortion (7 percent) were almost afterthoughts, showing the religious divide between social justice and personal morality appears wider than ever.

In fact, more than nine in 10 conservatives (92 percent) say the chief cause of America's problems is "moral decay," while just 4 percent cite poverty and discrimination.

That's because "moral decay" is the problem while poverty and discrimination are the symptoms.

That's because "moral decay" is the problem while poverty and discrimination are the symptoms.

You honestly think someone who is corrupt is going to understand that?

Rdean and those like him will always be "fighting for a cause" regardless of whether their solution actually fixes anything. Because he has no intention of actually fixing the problem. If he did, he would be fixing himself, as would any honest person trying to reform the world.

You want to fix the poverty problem? Apply the principles that will actually fix them: Honesty, Integrity, charity, Industry, Thrift. etc

Do that and poverty will evaporate overnight. Restore individual responsibility and their rights will follow.

Unfortunately, Rdean doesn't understand this. He lives in a fantasy world where simply passing a law will make everything right. The President speaks and he is instantly obeyed.

These type of people never want to fix the real problems. Because that would mean admitting their weaknesses and insignificance.

You honestly think someone who is corrupt is going to understand that?

Rdean and those like him will always be "fighting for a cause" regardless of whether their solution actually fixes anything. Because he has no intention of actually fixing the problem. If he did, he would be fixing himself, as would any honest person trying to reform the world.

You want to fix the poverty problem? Apply the principles that will actually fix them: Honesty, Integrity, charity, Industry, Thrift. etc

Do that and poverty will evaporate overnight. Restore individual responsibility and their rights will follow.

Unfortunately, Rdean doesn't understand this. He lives in a fantasy world where simply passing a law will make everything right. The President speaks and he is instantly obeyed.

These type of people never want to fix the real problems. Because that would mean admitting their weaknesses and insignificance.

There has always been poverty, there always will be. Even those who are "moral" according to the principles you list can and do become ill, injured, bereft of a wage earner, have just plain bad luck, and so on. It happens.

I have a problem with things like food stamps paying for bubble gum, but not a problem with a certain level of safety net to make sure those who would otherwise be in horrendous situations like those of our history - the poorhouses, orphanages, contract servitude, child labor and the like - can have at minimum shelter and food security with some level of independence and most important hope to get back on track. To me, that is simply moral and humane.

Neither religion nor morality are left and right issues. The left and right simply seem to look at them, morality in particular, in different ways and place different values on different "moral" actions. I also don't believe morals necessarily spring from religion. A person can be an atheist and have a very strong moral and ethical code. There's nothing wrong with having that debate.

But I do get tired of certain nameless posters braying about how the left has no morals, no values, and are all gawdless heatherns who worship the State. Yawn.

Forum List

Back