The GM Dog & Pony Show

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
A little quick math here: Seven million vehicles, and 13 deaths possibly attributable to the malfunctioning of the ignition switch. The probability of a catastrophic failure of the switch is about 1.8 times 10 to the minus six. And considering the number of miles driven by these SEVEN MILLION CARS(!) the incidences of fatal failure per driven mile is barely calculable. It is bascially a decimal point, a large bunch of zeros, followed by a one.

For all practical purposes, it is NOT A DEFECT! It's a component that could be better and in fact GM made it better after the number of incidents was large enough to show up on its radar screen. But the product was good enough in the first place.

In fact, if our product liability legal environment were not such a cluster-fuck-windfall for plaintiffs and plaintiff lawyers, GM could make a very credible argument that the part is NOT DEFECTIVE, given the statistically insignificant number of failures, and the unusual circumstances that VERY OCCASIONALLY cause it to fail. Thus, they would have to pay normal damages in each case where the accident can clearly be attributed to the failure of the switch, and be done with it.

One of the worst aspects of our worthless Congress is seeing how these assholes - most of whom have never had a real job in their lives - posture for the cameras when they get their tiny little brains around something like this, where they can point to a few unfortunates and pretend to be defending Americans from evil corporations.

It makes me want to vomit.

GM thought it was cheaper to fight the claims than to fix the problem

Question: how many "bad" switches were fine until damaged by four pounds of crap hanging from the key chain? I've known for decades that weight kills switches!

As I understand it, it's not a 57c part. 57c is a WAG of the increased cost of making the switch a little bit more robust.

Cars are miraculous machines that have evolved to be about as safe as possible given (a) the speeds that we insist on traveling, and (b) the laws of physics. Cars could be made dramatically safer if they had governors that limited their maximum speed to 40mph. This simple change would save tens of thousands of lives every year. For a relatively small amount, car manufacturers could, for example select tires that are more "hydrophilic" and save many lives of people who die in hydroplaning accidents. They could use "run flat" tires, which would save people who are killed every year because of tire blow-outs.

The government could prohibit casual auto trips (on vacation, to a movie theater or a ballgame) and limit auto travel to that which is required for work and acquiring the necessities of life. It would save many lives. Every mile you are riding in a car you are putting your life in danger.

The view that 13 people out of three hundred million dying in accidents caused by an auto component that COULD HAVE BEEN MADE SAFER requires Congressional action is absurd.

I don't know the details but it's a faulty design if the key can fall out and lock up the steering wheel. It sounds like that's the problem.

I don't know the details but it's a faulty design if the key can fall out and lock up the steering wheel. It sounds like that's the problem.

Link no.3 by jarlaxle is the reason much more so than a faulty design,heavy hanging key rings loosen the switch over time.

Forum List

Back