The fantasy of taxing the rich.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
It won't ever be a reality. People who want to tax the rich try it in two ways: Higher corporate taxes, and higher taxes on upper income brackets.

Higher corporate taxes will most often be simply passed on the consumers. In the rare event that they are not, they simply reduce the retirement savings of the millions of Americans who invest their retirement savings in stocks.

The idea that the Chairman of the Board and the CEO are going to look at a new tax increase on corporations and say, "now, we'll have to sell out yachts and private jets, just to get by! DAMN those Dems!" is pure fantasy.

The higher taxes on the upper brackets is also fantastic. People in upper brackets are way smarter than the government leeches who try to take their money. In theory, they can outsmart lotto winners, but some of them are smart enough to hire lawyers to outwit the IRS.

Just grow up, tax and spenders, and realize there is no free lunch, and surely no free lunch provided by the wealthy. You can provide benefits to the under-class at the expense of the working class and middle class, but be honest about that.

I agree with you on corporates taxes, and your take on the rich just highlights why we need to simply the tax code and remove all tax expenditures.

Right now we have two parties....one is "tax and spend" and the other is just "spend". You talk about no free lunch and then ignore the almost 31 trillion dollars in debt we have.

It won't ever be a reality. People who want to tax the rich try it in two ways: Higher corporate taxes, and higher taxes on upper income brackets.

Higher corporate taxes will most often be simply passed on the consumers. In the rare event that they are not, they simply reduce the retirement savings of the millions of Americans who invest their retirement savings in stocks.

The idea that the Chairman of the Board and the CEO are going to look at a new tax increase on corporations and say, "now, we'll have to sell out yachts and private jets, just to get by! DAMN those Dems!" is pure fantasy.

The higher taxes on the upper brackets is also fantastic. People in upper brackets are way smarter than the government leeches who try to take their money. In theory, they can outsmart lotto winners, but some of them are smart enough to hire lawyers to outwit the IRS.

Just grow up, tax and spenders, and realize there is no free lunch, and surely no free lunch provided by the wealthy. You can provide benefits to the under-class at the expense of the working class and middle class, but be honest about that.

Just tax the stock transfers. Can't pass it on to the little guy when you cash out your golden parachute to buy a beach house.

I agree with you on corporates taxes, and your take on the rich just highlights why we need to simply the tax code and remove all tax expenditures.

Right now we have two parties....one is "tax and spend" and the other is just "spend". You talk about no free lunch and then ignore the almost 31 trillion dollars in debt we have.

I dunno GG, democrat spending is a helluva lot more than republican spending. They always overestimate the revenue from raising taxes and underestimate the actual spending of their policies/programs. I ain't going to say it's equal, the GOP is guilty of spending too much too, but look at this latest Inflation Reduction Act that the democrats want to pass via reconciliation. What a laugh, that legislation is not going to reduce inflation one little bit, if not make it worse by spending an additional $800 billion or whatever it is. You don't reduce inflation by spending more money, and this bill is not going to help improve economic growth either.

I agree.
Right now we have two parties....one is "tax and spend" and the other is just "spend".
I agree with that. I didn't say anything in the OP about it being only about one party. Democrats do tend to spend like drunken sailors doing tequila shooters and chasing them with beer, while the Reps spend like drunken sailors just doing tequila shots. But they both want to spend, spend, spend, like their ain't no end.

There is.

The spending actually is taxing. The lesser taxing done by the GOP is actually a form of spending, spending money on taxpayers by not making them pay for the spending. If that makes any sense.
You talk about no free lunch and then ignore the almost 31 trillion dollars in debt we have.
That's what I meant by the above. By not taxing to pay down that debt, and not taxing to pay for current spending, we are trying to have an endless free brunch buffet. With Dom Peringon mimosas.

We need honest politicians who are going to tell us the truth: We will have to raise taxes to pay for all this "free" shit, and the raise will have to be on the middle class. One politician, Walter Mondale, was honest about that once.

I think his big mistake was in saying it as an applause line. It was an applause line in that hall full of Democratic activists. But not with the American people, who handed him his electoral ass.

The Dems are no more honest than the Reps when the Dems tell their constituents they won't have to pay more taxes because the rich will pay it, than the Reps are when they tell theirs they won't allow tax increases while watching the growing debt tax our yet unborn grandchildren.

Heck, maybe that's when the Dems might finally have some use for the unborn. When they realize how much money the unborn owe.

If DC has its way anyone making over 30 grand a year will be bent over....yes further

I dunno GG, democrat spending is a helluva lot more than republican spending.

Nope, it sure is not. Each president spends more than the one before them, matters not which party they belong to. Trump, the Repub, submitted the 4 largest budget request in the history of the country till Biden came along and topped those.

Nope, it sure is not. Each president spends more than the one before them, matters not which party they belong to. Trump, the Repub, submitted the 4 largest budget request in the history of the country till Biden came along and topped those.

Dude, presidents don't appropriate money to spend, Congress does that. The prez lays out a budget and Congress pretty much ignores it and passes whatever they want to.
Every single time a spending bill is debated in Congress, the democrats ALWAYS want to spend way more than the GOP does. Every time. You are dead wrong on this one, while repubs ought to be more fiscally responsible it is the democrats who are bat-shit crazy when it comes to spending more money on their political priorities.

Go look at Obama's 1st 4 years in office, his deficits were all in excess of a trillion dollars, while Trump's 1st 3 years were much less. It wasn't until the pandemic hit in 2020 that Trump's deficits got out of whack in 2020, largely due to the costs of fighting the Coronavirus and passing huge relief checks to everybody. Which BTW were not as much as what the democrats wanted and more than the GOP wanted but passed anyway to get something done.

Go look at Obama's 1st 4 years in office, his deficits were all in excess of a trillion dollars, while Trump's 1st 3 years were much less

Obama took over in the middle of a recession. Why not compare his last 4 years with Trump's 4 years.

Before COVID even started the deficit under Trump went from 585 billion to 984. That is a 68% increase in 3 years.

But I know, now you will blame it on Congress even though the GOP controled it for 2 of those 3 years.

Which BTW were not as much as what the democrats wanted and more than the GOP wanted but passed anyway to get something done.

Trump fought for bigger checks, but I know, it is always the Dems the poor Repubs have no fault at all in this.

Trump said he wants Congress to increase the amount in the stimulus checks to $2,000 for individuals or $4,000 for couples, instead of the “ridiculously low” $600 for individuals that is in the bill.

Last edited:
But I know, now you will blame it on Congree.

Whereas you will left Congress off scotfree.

Trump fought for bigger checks, but I know, it is always the Dems the poor Repubs have no fault at all in this.

Yes he, did and he didn't get as much as he wanted, did he? Trump isn't representative of the entire Republican Party you know, in a lot of ways he's a democrat masquerading as a conservative. Nobody is going to refer to him as a fiscal conservative, no matter what he says. How about a little credit for the GOP holding the line on more spending that Trump and the democrats wanted?

It was the REPUBLICANS who have always fought for a lower amount of spending than what the democrats wanted, which you conveniently ignore. There is no question that the GOP is not blameless in all this ridiculous spending, and I never suggested otherwise. Witness the recent CHIPS Bill that was once just $52 billion before Schumer raised it by a couple hundred billion more. The GOP should have told him he wasn't getting more than the original $52 bil and stuck by their guns, but they didn't have the balls and here we are now with inflation rising and the government spending more money that they get. None of which will help grow the economy or reduce inflation. But to suggest there is no difference between the 2 parties when it comes to spending is absolutely ridiculous.

I dunno GG, democrat spending is a helluva lot more than republican spending. They always overestimate the revenue from raising taxes and underestimate the actual spending of their policies/programs. I ain't going to say it's equal, the GOP is guilty of spending too much too, but look at this latest Inflation Reduction Act that the democrats want to pass via reconciliation. What a laugh, that legislation is not going to reduce inflation one little bit, if not make it worse by spending an additional $800 billion or whatever it is. You don't reduce inflation by spending more money, and this bill is not going to help improve economic growth either.

Isn't it cute that Golfing Gator believes that companies can just pay you more for more education and then tax the benefit away. I know I got two masters degrees so I could point to my pre-tax paystub! Oh, wait, I care about after tax pay, like EVERYONE ELSE.

What that means is that when you raise taxes on the higher educated or experienced, you have to pay them even more to cover the tax rate differences. You're right, it's a scam. And as always, Golfing missed the bus, he's an idiot

Isn't it cute that Golfing Gator believes that companies can just pay you more for more education and then tax the benefit away. I know I got two masters degrees so I could point to my pre-tax paystub! Oh, wait, I care about after tax pay, like EVERYONE ELSE.

What that means is that when you raise taxes on the higher educated or experienced, you have to pay them even more to cover the tax rate differences. You're right, it's a scam. And as always, Golfing missed the bus, he's an idiot

what the fuck does any of that have to do with runway spending?

Did you just feel the need to insult me so you ignored everything I posted so you could scratch that itch?

what the fuck does any of that have to do with runway spending?

Did you just feel the need to insult me so you ignored everything I posted so you could scratch that itch?

You're so stupid, you didn't notice the thread title, now that's funny. Try again, moron

You're so stupid, you didn't notice the thread title, now that's funny. Try again, moron

Yes, I did notice the title of the thread, we have moved on from that title into a discussion about spending.

Do you need a 3rd grader to explain to you how to follow the flow of a thread on an on-line forum?

The only difference is what they want to spend the money on.

So you don't see the difference in the amount of money the democrats spend vs repubs? You know about the BBB bill that the democrats wanted to spend $3.5 tril on, right? Which some people say woulda been $5.5 tril by some estimates. You think the democrats wouldn't have passed that BBB if Manchin hadn't put a stop to it? You think the GOP would do that, even if Trump was the prez? You know about the $94 Tril Green New Deal, right? You think the GOP would pass that kind of spending?

But you don't see a difference. OK.

Yes, I did notice the title of the thread, we have moved on from that title into a discussion about spending.

Do you need a 3rd grader to explain to you how to follow the flow of a thread on an on-line forum?

The thread title is about tax the rich and you're asking me if I need a third grader to explain that you weren't talking about that and demanding to know why my post was on ... taxing the rich. Wow, when I called you an idiot, I understated it, didn't I, idiot?

So you don't see the difference in the amount of money the democrats spend vs repubs? You know about the BBB bill that the democrats wanted to spend $3.5 tril on, right? Which some people say woulda been $5.5 tril by some estimates. You think the democrats wouldn't have passed that BBB if Manchin hadn't put a stop to it? You think the GOP would do that, even if Trump was the prez? You know about the $94 Tril Green New Deal, right? You think the GOP would pass that kind of spending?

But you don't see a difference. OK.

What's funny is that while morons like Golfing Gator, dblack, and g5000 who claim they aren't even Democrats hear any criticism of the Democrat party, they are constantly still the first to jump in to defend them every time despite the constant screw up of Captain Fuck Up as President

The thread title is about tax the rich and you're asking me if I need a third grader to explain that you weren't talking about that and demanding to know why my post was on ... taxing the rich. Wow, when I called you an idiot, I understated it, didn't I, idiot?

Yes, I did. You pretend like threads never go off the original topic, when in fact it happens in 99% of all threads.

I gave the answer to the tax problem in most number 2.

What's funny is that while morons like Golfing Gator, dblack, and g5000 who claim they aren't even Democrats hear any criticism of the Democrat party, they are constantly still the first to jump in to defend them every time despite the constant screw up of Captain Fuck Up as President

Link to me defending the Dems.

I will be happy to wait.

Forum List

Back