The Fall of Journalism

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
The Fall of Journalism​

By Theodore Dawes

A few notes on journalistic ethics (don't laugh!)

In the past 30-plus years I've interviewed dozens of candidates for jobs in journalism. Among the questions I always posed is this one: Why are newspapers published?

To date, no journalism school graduate has known the answer, which is, of course, to make money for the publisher.

Read more:
Articles: The Fall of Journalism

Response: Psychological Context

I liked this article. I wrote for a college newspaper-journal at Dartmouth College (Hanover, New Hampshire), and I like posting on the Internet (perhaps the modern 'newspaper').

One idea to mention is that the word journalism could be considered a reorientation of a 'journal.'

In Mary Shelley's seminal civilization-devastation novel "Frankenstein" (1818), the narrator relays the science tragedy tale of unnatural biological tampering in his personal journal, and we learn of the shocking story of the complexity of human curiosity through first-hand narrative.

Journalism is not science, but it is exploratory like science and even famous yellow journalists such as William Randolph Hearst may agree that journalism offers a window into the interest to discuss social views.

Why does Hollywood (USA) make experience-omen movies such as "Dark City" (1998)? Are we fascinated by tragedy? Are we curious about shock so much that we want to advertise this curiosity?

It's a funny fact that the desire to advertise hysteria is almost evidence that we need to talk about hysteria in public.

Modern age civilization activity has introduced humanity to a new species ill: manmade ecosystem pollution (i.e., acid rain, global warming, etc.). Many scholars of journalism would agree that environmental activism comprises the brunt of modern journalistic activity, since, arguably, the management of World War II and AIDS has effectively brought satisfaction levels to debates about conflict and healthcare.

I think a good approach to answering your questions about journalism today (ethics, demand principles, profit-motives, etc.) is to explore journalistic activity involving environmental activism. I would recommend relevant contextual culture reading too (i.e., Edward Abbey).

Good luck!

:eusa_boohoo:

Poison Ivy (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poison_Ivy_(Movie_Poster).jpg

Forum List

Back