The Empire Strikes Back

Robert, you are a nice knowledgable guy when it comes to Politics but don't talk when you don't know what you are talking about.

What you could say is the Red Sox do the best against MO, but by no chance do they ahve his number....Did they have his number last year when Mo made Manny and Ortiz look stupid throwing 3 fastballs by them to get the final out?

Lets look at the numbers

Games- 5
Wins- 2
Losses- 0
Saves- 3
Innings Pitched- 7.1
Hits- 4
Runs- 1
Homeruns- 0
Walks- 0
K's- 8
ERA- 1.23
WHIP- 0.55.
BA- .148

LMAO YEAH YOU SURE HAD HIS NUMBER....HE ABUSED YOU GUYS LAST YEAR.

Want me to compare him to Papelbum and show him how much of a better pitcher he is...I can do that too

Rivera struggled early in the second half, pitching worse in non-save situations, blowing his first save of the season, and giving up a game-tying or game-winning hit in three consecutive outings.

In the last week of the season, Rivera was examined for shoulder pain he had been suffering from for the entire season. Tests revealed inflammation and calcification of his throwing shoulder. Rivera decided to undergo minor arthroscopic surgery in the offseason

You're not going to compare him to Roger Clemens and say he gets better with age do you? Because we all know what happened there. :eusa_whistle:

Besides, many of those games were closer then the stats show.

You're not going to compare him to Roger Clemens and say he gets better with age do you? Because we all know what happened there. :eusa_whistle:

Besides, many of those games were closer then the stats show.

MINOR surgery...every year you sox fans say the same thing..Mo is getting old he won't be dominant again, and every year you are wrong....The guy has had under a 2 era the past half decade!

Also, I believe Clemens got 2 rings on the Yankees :eusa_whistle:

Also, the games weren't that close. MAriano pretty much owned the Sox last year.

Is that your basis fo rhim slowing down, he had 3-4 bad games in the secondhalf out of 70 that he pitched?

Thats a weak arguement, he still had the best era and almost a carreer year.

Also, it is a known fact that for some reason MO doesn't fare as well in Non Save situations, his ERA in Non Save situations is almost a full point higher around 2.32...Just want to point out his bad area in non save situations is almost the same era Papelbaum has in SAVE situations.

However, MO is the closer, he isn't meant to pitch in those type of scnearios, in games where he needs to close he is nearly perfect

Last edited:
MINOR surgery...every year you sox fans say the same thing..Mo is getting old he won't be dominant again, and every year you are wrong....The guy has had under a 2 era the past half decade!

Also, I believe Clemens got 2 rings on the Yankees :eusa_whistle:

Also, the games weren't that close. MAriano pretty much owned the Sox last year.

Is that your basis fo rhim slowing down, he had 3-4 bad games in the secondhalf out of 70 that he pitched?

Thats a weak arguement, he still had the best era and almost a carreer year.

Also, it is a known fact that for some reason MO doesn't fare as well in Non Save situations, his ERA in Non Save situations is almost a full point higher around 2.32...Just want to point out his bad area in non save situations is almost the same era Papelbaum has in SAVE situations.

However, MO is the closer, he isn't meant to pitch in those type of scnearios, in games where he needs to close he is nearly perfect

Yes, Clemens got 2 years for the yankees; while on steroids like half of the 2000 Yankees team. Did you not see the report where a great portion of Yankees were accused of taking roids?

I was simply pointing out that he isn't perfect and he did much better in the past. Hitters are less afraid of Mo then they would of been four years ago. Besides, do you forget 2004 like it was a bad dream?

I'm not comparing Mo to Papelbon because Paps will eventually end up having better stats then Mo. Besides, I'm merely pointing out what I said in bold means he isn't that dominate as you make him out to be. If he was, he'd do good in all situations, not just one.

You also tend to forget the 2001 World Series Game 7 also. These are parts of the Yankee history. You guys have had two chances in the WS since 2001 and failed. Boston has had two chances in the WS since 2001 and has won. They sweeped both times.

Yes, Clemens got 2 years for the yankees; while on steroids like half of the 2000 Yankees team. Did you not see the report where a great portion of Yankees were accused of taking roids?

I was simply pointing out that he isn't perfect and he did much better in the past. Hitters are less afraid of Mo then they would of been four years ago. Besides, do you forget 2004 like it was a bad dream?

I'm not comparing Mo to Papelbon because Paps will eventually end up having better stats then Mo. Besides, I'm merely pointing out what I said in bold means he isn't that dominate as you make him out to be. If he was, he'd do good in all situations, not just one.

You also tend to forget the 2001 World Series Game 7 also. These are parts of the Yankee history. You guys have had two chances in the WS since 2001 and failed. Boston has had two chances in the WS since 2001 and has won. They sweeped both times.

Ron, Just stop...are you really going to talk about post season performance?

Mariano Rivera has the best post season numbers out of any pitcher in the HISTORY of MLB.

And thats a pretty hefty prediction saying that Papelbaum is going to have better numbers then MO. You are fucking delusional..Mariano is better at 39 then Papelbaum is now in his prime.

Yes 2001 was awful and he blew the game...not like he got hit hard what killed him was the error throwing to second for the double play...he has 3 blown saves in post season play, 2001 against the dbacks, 1997 against the indians and 2004 against the red sox.

3 blown saves out of proobably 40 attempts.

He didn't do much better in the past, you don't know what you are talking about and letting your moronic red sox bias speak on your behalf. He has his 2nd best year last year! Obviously he is doing better now. Numbers don't lie.

And let hittes be less afraid then him, you can't name me one pitcher that is better then MO. Papel couldn't hold his fucking jock at the moment. Mo's numbers are much better then his.

Wow this really struck a nerve, huh? :lol:

YoY, yeah, Mo is the best.

He wasn't the best last season, though. No one was better than Lidge. In fact, when it comes to single-season, very few have been better.

Maybe it's just me, and I admit I don't see even a FRACTION of the amount of Yanks games you probably see, but his cutter doesn't seem to be as crisp. That's his bread and butter, he loses that, and he's middle relief.

You also better hope A-rod doesn't continue choking on cock in postseason play, or you ain't going ANYWHERE.

You can buy all the talent in the world. If you can't get them to play together as a team and manage the egos, you got NOTHING. Can Girardi manage the egos?

By the way, I clicked the link for the idiot test and nothing happened..??:cool:

Last edited:
Paul, you're wrong

Mo had better numbers then Lidge

Lidge
2008 STATS
ERA SV SO WHIP
1.95 41 92 1.23

Mo
2008 STATS
ERA SV SO WHIP
1.40 39 77 0.67

Lidge had a tremoundous year cause he was 41/41 100%, Mariano was 39/40 97.5%

but the overall numbers favor Mariano, there is no question...Mariano was 7 onbasemen away from having more saves then people on base allowed...that has never even come close to happening for a closer.

Lidge waled 35 batters last year

Mariano walked 6!!!

That is insane

His cutter was as fgood as ever in 2008, you need to watch him, and if you don't numbers don't lie.

I watch every game, along with others, I get the MLB package

Lidge's walks were probably his ONLY blemish all season. Only the games he walked guys, did he have trouble getting the S. He did better when guys got on with hits, then walks.

Believe me, I certainly don't dispute Rivera's legacy. He's the best ever, by far. Eck WISHES he could lick Rivera's balls, let's put it that way.

But I really think Rivera is going to fall off this year. It's a FEELING.

It's also a hope :D

And damn, I almost got the link to work too. I'll keep trying.

Tis no. I was talking about the ones before color TV was around obviously.

Yes, as opposed to all the red sox championships that were brought to you in HD TV right?

you have 2004, 2006 and then 1918...I am sure it was a greta game to listen to on the radio huddled around a fire

Lidge's walks were probably his ONLY blemish all season. Only the games he walked guys, did he have trouble getting the S. He did better when guys got on with hits, then walks.

Believe me, I certainly don't dispute Rivera's legacy. He's the best ever, by far. Eck WISHES he could lick Rivera's balls, let's put it that way.

But I really think Rivera is going to fall off this year. It's a FEELING.

It's also a hope :D

And damn, I almost got the link to work too. I'll keep trying.

lol it's a feeling :p

Did you have that feeling last year?

I doubt it...you don't go from a 1.34 ERA to sucking in one year. He will still post a under 2 era this year...

I will defend MO to the end cause he is my favorite player...nothing like being in Yankee Stadium and hearing Enter Sandman blasting in the 9th

you don't go from a 1.34 ERA to sucking in one year.

Some have.

Mark Wohlers comes to mind, and ironically, so does another Brave...Rocker.

Matter of fact, Lidge even went from great to shit in a year. He wasn't remotely the same after the Pujols homer in game 7.

Those guys had a pretty adverse situation that seemed to lead to the fall-off, though. Those are just the ones off the top of my head that I can think of, I'm sure there's others.

HERE IS the difference

Mo hasnt posted an era under 2 with the exception of 2007 since 2003....those other guys had a good year here bad year there

Mo has been stellar every year

He isnt going to go from stellar to shit

He's gotta fall off SOMETIME. It's inevitable, obviously.

Maybe it's a slow, progressive decline, or maybe it's overnight.

Being a Yankee hater, I hope it's overnight :D

Tis no. I was talking about the ones before color TV was around obviously.
Color TV came into widespread use about 1965.

NY has 6 World series titles and 10 Word series appearences.

Since then, the red sox have 2 titles.

Deep to left...!!!
bucky-dent_250.jpg

More and more reason I hate the Yanks and more and more reason I like football a hell of a lot better than baseball!

Forum List

Back