The economy: slowing or stalling or regional?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I have had a HUGE drop in calls/demand. It is even substantially slower than it was this time last year. Usually I'm booked out at least 8 weeks this time of year. Right now I'm lucky to get a contract before the one we're currently on is finished.

I've inquired around and most in my industry here are experiencing the same thing.

Our friends here from the left say the stock market is up thanks to Obama.
So that means the economy is in fine shape...

I disagree....big time.

Big Government and its Cronies are slowing choking the rest of the economy.

We've been in a period of stagnation for a few years now. Anyone who thinks this is a good economy is either ignorant or a partisan hack.

I have had a HUGE drop in calls/demand. It is even substantially slower than it was this time last year. Usually I'm booked out at least 8 weeks this time of year. Right now I'm lucky to get a contract before the one we're currently on is finished.

I've inquired around and most in my industry here are experiencing the same thing.

Unemployment is dropping in most states, but where it isn't, it is still fairly high. A mixed bag depending on many things. Probably depends on what your industry is, but best of luck to you. Hope your orders pick up soon.

--sam

New York is doing great.

The city itself has a 4 billion dollar surplus.

And real estate? Off the charts. My Upper East Side Apartment is rounding the half million mark.

And it's a small one bedroom!

Trades focused on repairs are doing OK. New construction peaked about 2 months ago and now is pretty well shut down. Seeing some projects put on "hold" incomplete. Existing housing selling OK but prices are not yet back to where they were before The Great Obamacession.

New York is doing great.

And real estate? Off the charts. My Upper East Side Apartment is rounding the half million mark.

New York, Booming right along at a 6.7% unemployment rate. Down to it's lowest level in five years! Well, not because there's jobs people just quit looking for one. But why look when welfare will pay 38k per year in subsidies not to work. 7th highest paying welfare benefits in the country.

Yeah you people are just kicking ass out there!

New York is doing great.

New York, Booming right along at a 6.7% unemployment rate. Down to it's lowest level in five years! Well, not because there's jobs people just quit looking for one. But why look when welfare will pay 38k per year in subsidies not to work. 7th highest paying welfare benefits in the country.

We are..actually.

Have a visit.

Economic activity is over the top. You can't drive anywhere around Manhattan without bumping into a construction project. Stores and restaurants are packed. The labor day weekend was the best for Broadway in history. There are tourists..everywhere. And the traffic jams during rush hour are nuts.

New York is doing great.

We are..actually.

Have a visit.

Economic activity is over the top. You can't drive anywhere around Manhattan without bumping into a construction project. Stores and restaurants are packed. The labor day weekend was the best for Broadway in history. There are tourists..everywhere. And the traffic jams during rush hour are nuts.

Manhattan=/=the rest of America

How bout ending the total obstruction and no compromise of the GOP, a gd jobs act, a training/education bill, taxing the bloated rich their fair share, and giving the poor workers a living wage....could it be any more obvious? Legalize and tax it!

The economy: slowing or stalling or regional?
None of the above.

Momentum is picking up this spring. Disposable income adjusted for inflation grew a strong 3.8% in January through March. Consumer confidence is bouncing back, climbing above the level it held before the government shutdown and winter weather took a toll. Motor vehicle sales are strong. And an index of manufacturing purchasing managers’ activity points to strongly expanding output. What’s more, new unemployment claims are running at a very low rate and retail sales have rebounded. The pickup in these March and April indicators supports the belief that winter weather was responsible for most of the depressed economic numbers for January and February.

Economic Outlook, Indicators, Forecasts - Your Business-Kiplinger

So much for the conservative misery offensive.

Our friends here from the left say the stock market is up thanks to Obama.
So that means the economy is in fine shape...

I disagree....big time.

It is, but no trickle down; trickle down is a myth. The economy remains in the dumpster.

I'm retired for 27 years...made 10k sitting on my ass in the living room this week...phot stock finally came back to life.. And SIRI surged...(got lots of phot and lots of SIRI...)

New York is doing great.

I wish my business was in a bubble.

What are you griping about buddy.

It's all about choices, right?

:D

You're absolutely right. I've made the CHOICE to suddenly not make my phone ring....:cuckoo:

I think it's a combination of sluggish and regional only the most partisan think this economy is on the fast track and it seems to me some regions of the country have clearly recovered and done better than other's.

Forum List

Back