The Destruction of Personal Responsibility (and the culprits behind it)

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Why I was evicted from a Miami hotel
September 28, 2004

I was in Miami Beach, Florida, this past weekend.

And I got evicted from my hotel.

Yes, the Trump International Hotel notified me and its other guests that we all had to leave the hotel because Hurricane Jeanne was headed to the South Florida coast.

This struck me as odd on two accounts.

First, it was clear even from the hyper television news coverage of Jeanne that Miami was at the outer edge of the hurricane, with, at worst, 40 miles per hour winds in store for it. It seemed to me that if my well-being were endangered by such winds inside a modern high-rise hotel, Donald Trump may wish to rethink whom he employs as architects and engineers.

Second, I was entirely prepared to assume all risk to myself and absolve the hotel from any responsibility for what might happen to me. And I told them this -- that I will sign away any right to sue the hotel should anything bad happen to me because of the hurricane. I said this because the hotel was honest enough to announce that it was evacuating its guests for reasons of liability.

Of course, I knew they would refuse my offer. Threats of lawsuits now determine much of how Americans and their institutions behave. It is close to impossible to overstate the damage trial lawyers and litigious Americans have done to this country -- not only in terms of the money lost, but even worse, in terms of the moral character lost.

The Gang of Four -- trial lawyers, handpicked jurors, fortune-seeking litigants and like-minded judges (themselves often former trial lawyers) -- have created an environment of mistrust that blankets our society.

One small step backward for America, another giant step forward for the profession of the Democratic nominee for vice president of the United States. Just imagine what the profession and its allies will be able to achieve if he wins.

Neither Donald Trump nor the holiest day in the Jewish calendar can withstand such power. The truth is hurricanes are mere sneezes compared to the force of trial lawyers and their allies.

Full article.

Excelent article by Prager......I like him as much as Kristol, Thomas, and Coulter.

I think this has been a problem for quite some time, and one that is so entrenched in our society that it will be a hard one to undo even in small measures. I have been waiting for the Bush campaign to capitalize on this more, but maybe the statistics tell them it's not going to get any traction.

The epidemic of lawsuits in this country would end if the standards for civil lawsuits were raised to those for criminal cases.

1. Change the standard for deciding civil cases from "preponderance of evidence" to "beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt".

2. Insted of 9 out of 12 jurors deciding whether you are negligent, all 12 jurors would have to agree.

3. Sentencing should be standardized. Imagine if the criminal system worked the same way as the civil court system. People accused of minor crimes would be brought to trial by their victims' lawyers who would then seek the death penalty in almost every case.

Forum List

Back