The Death of Facebook | How Social Media Ripped Apart a Generation

Facebook is nothing but a place for Zuckerberg to sell advertising yet all you people seem to think it's something more

Very interesting.

Sounds more like death of humanity than death of Facebook.

Frigid, I'm such a dinosaur. I don't have Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat...heck, I don't even have a cell phone. I do have Email and a land line and even use snail mail for paying bills because I don't want my bank account number online. As for Facebook, I still can't balance out whether it does more harm than good or not.

In spite of all my precautions, the whole world probably knows my blood type and shoe size and all other vitals.

Very interesting.

And the left wants to blame the increased incidence of mass shootings on guns.

I'll bet all these mass shooters were not only on some sort of psychoactive drug, but also addicted to their device. They completely lacked empathy and were out of touch with humanity.

Society is disintegrating. . .

That's a good watch, thanks!

I knew there was something weird about that Facebook.

The same kinda could be said about USMB with the Dopamine triggers. :eek: :tomato:

That's a good watch, thanks!

I knew there was something weird about that Facebook.

The same kinda could be said about USMB with the Dopamine triggers. :eek: :tomato:
Best to limit one's time on here to a few minutes a day. . . . .

Well, it's all about presentation. Gotta sell it. Know what I mean?
`
I'm not against well thought out, articulate and logical constitutional arguments but seriously, when have you seen them here in this forum? 99% of what I see is opinion, most of which has no logical or evidentiary basis. Take the hotly contested 2nd amendment. Most statements can be boiled down to this: "I read the second amendment, ergo, I am an expert on it." It is at that point, discussion becomes useless, at least to me.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place.
`
`

`
I'm not against well thought out, articulate and logical constitutional arguments but seriously, when have you seen them here in this forum? 99% of what I see is opinion, most of which has no logical or evidentiary basis. Take the hotly contested 2nd amendment. Most statements can be boiled down to this: "I read the second amendment, ergo, I am an expert on it." It is at that point, discussion becomes useless, at least to me.

`
`

Yearning for more of an echo chamber?

The Bubble

`

`
`

A lot of friends haven't read the original document. Nor The Federalist. And this is to their credit, actually. It's a legit reason for being wrong, or for consequently misrepresenting the document.

Here's a good read, I'll snippit a few lines for you and link it if you wanna know why the Federalist is important when trying to understand the meaning ofcontent of the Constitution .

"The Federalist"--A Rich Source of Sound Knowledge

In the above-noted resolution of the University of Virginia Board, The Federalist was lauded as "being an authority to which appeal is habitually made by all, and rarely declined or denied by any as evidence of the general opinion of those who framed, and of those who accepted the Constitution of the U.S. on questions as to its genuine meaning." This referred to the Federal (framing) Convention of 1787 and to the State Ratifying Conventions of 1787-1788 which ratified, or adopted, the Constitution and thereby made it the fundamental law of the people.

As Madison wrote Jefferson on February 8, 1825:

"The 'Federalist' may fairly enough be regarded as the most authentic exposition of the text of the federal Constitution, as understood by the Body which prepared & the Authority which accepted it."

He here referred to the Federal (framing) Convention "which prepared"--and the State Ratifying Conventions "which accepted"--the Constitution.

Continued - "The Federalist"--A Rich Source of Sound Knowledge

Here, too, the original Constitution - The Constitution

And the Declaration of Independence

Last edited:

Very interesting.

Sounds more like death of humanity than death of Facebook.

Frigid, I'm such a dinosaur. I don't have Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat...heck, I don't even have a cell phone. I do have Email and a land line and even use snail mail for paying bills because I don't want my bank account number online. As for Facebook, I still can't balance out whether it does more harm than good or not.

In spite of all my precautions, the whole world probably knows my blood type and shoe size and all other vitals.

Oh, Facebook can be a really bad thing. I use it, mostly for groups where I can see what people with the same interests as me are doing, it helps me keep in contact with a few people I actually know for mundane things, and gives me some slight connection with people I used to know but don't bother keeping in touch with any more.

But for some people that kind of stuff takes over their world. The Zombies on their phones with no idea what's happening around them. The parents who miss their children growing up because they're on their phones, all that nonsense.

While I'm thinking of it, a really good book to read if you really wanna have a good basic understanding of the Constitution is a book called "Elementary Catechism on the Constitution of the United States For The Use of Schools" by Arthur J. Stansbury, 1828. I'd go for the hard cover, personally, I have it, it's nice and sturdy so your great great grandchildren can read it, assuming it doesn't ever get lost, you know how that goes.

From the description...

this book was the standard textbook for learning the Constitution in American classrooms.* Written as a "catechism" in question and answer format, this new larger edition is complete with notes and excerpts from Madison's Notes on the Constitutional Convention.

The Catechism was first used in the early 1800's for school children but should be required reading in every school today. It is an excellent way to re-acquaint yourself with the nature and benefit of strict constitutional government. Those who are discovering their true heritage for the first time have asked for such material to begin their own studies.

And, really, you have to go to Noah Websters' dictionary to look up catechism. May as well pick up the Webster Dictionary, it's pretty much the mandatory dictionary if you wanna know what the words meant back then. Noah was a teacher and a Founder. He is responsible for the first texbooks and dictionary in America, but that's just cliff notes, there's a lot to say about him.

Matter of fact, I might as well link the Noah Webster dictionary, because you're gonna need it, definitely.

Link: American Dictionary of the English Language 1828

Description...

Noah Webster owns the unique distinction of having single-handedly rescued the English Language from the corrupting political and social influences of the European Nations of his day. He preserved the language with a pure connection to the original roots in other languages, and provided a necessary tool for our new nation (and all later generations) to understand the writings of the Founders and Framers of the Constitution.

The majority of the general public is unaware that Dictionaries today follow the practice of "description" as opposed to "prescription," -- the idea that the popular (mis)use of language should be allowed to alter the established meanings of words, to suit the wants and habits of each successive generation. The danger of this practice is the removal of vast bodies of knowledge and wisdom from public access.

Noah Webster understood the connection between physical liberty and liberty of thought. He further understood that the meanings of words played a key role in a person's ability to develop a sound system of knowledge and principles based on unchanging absolutes. He also recognized the necessity of preserving the connection to our heritage of Liberty, as well as the failures of former systems of government and philosophy before the founding of our Constitutional Republic.

While I'm thinkng of Noah, he also wrote the American King James Version of the Christian Bible. He understood Hebrew and Greek, too.

He's a major dude, Zuckerberg couldn't even carry his pencil case.

Here's a minor snip about him...

Brief Biography, from the The Noah Webster House, Museum of West Hartford History:

Noah graduated in 1778. He wanted to study law, but his parents could not afford to give him more money for school. So, in order to earn a living, Noah taught school in Glastonbury, Hartford and West Hartford. Later he studied law. [Additional fact: in 1784 Connecticut started the first law school in America, which graduated Noah Webster]

Noah did not like American schools. Sometimes 70 children of all ages were crammed into one-room
schoolhouses with no desks, poor books, and untrained teachers. Their books came from England. Noah thought that Americans should learn from American books, so in 1783, Noah wrote his own textbook: A Grammatical Institute of the English Language. [Additional fact: In 1783 Noah also produced what is considered to be the first dictionary created in the US] Most people called it the "Blue-backed Speller" because of its blue cover.

For 100 years, Noah's book taught children how to read, spell, and pronounce words. It was the most popular American book of its time. Ben Franklin used Noah's book to teach his granddaughter to read.

[Additional fact: Dec. 9, 1793 Noah Webster founded New York's first daily newspaper.]

When Noah was 43, he started writing the first American dictionary. He did this because Americans in different parts of the country spelled, pronounced and used words differently. He thought that all Americans should speak the same way. He also thought that Americans should not speak and spell just like the English.

Noah used American spellings like "color" instead of the English "colour" and "music" instead " of "musick". He also added American words that weren't in English dictionaries like "skunk" and "squash". It took him over 27 years to write his book. When finished in 1828, at the age of 70, Noah's dictionary had 70,000 words in it.

Noah did many things in his life. He worked for copyright laws, wrote textbooks, Americanized the English language, and edited magazines. When Noah Webster died in 1843 he was considered an American hero.

Here's one of his speeches Speech on the Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, 1802

One of his better quotes...

"When you become entitled to exercise the right of voting for public officers, let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers, "just men who will rule in the fear of God." The preservation of [our] government depends on the faithful discharge of this Duty; if the citizens neglect their Duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made, not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the Laws; the public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of the citizen will be violated or disregarded. If [our] government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine Commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the Laws." -History of United States by Noah Webster.

Last edited:
Anyway. Whatever. I don't use facebook for anything anymore. And I even closed down my entire Google acount.

Forum List

Back