The Dark Elf Trilogy

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I've never been much into D&D books. Like Star Wars and Star Trek, there's a lot of books and more of them suck than don't, but I was given a few multibook volumes, all by R.A. Salvatore recently as a present from the groom at a wedding where I was a groomsman. I just finished the first book of the Dark Elf Trilogy, and I must say, it's quite awesome. For those who don't know, the Dark Elf Trilogy takes place in the world of Faerun, the D&D setting known as forgotten realms. The books are about a dark elf (drow) who, despite his evil surroundings, maintains a good and moral heart. Despite the pressurings of his peers and family, he does not give in to the subtle assassination plots that mark drow society. Instead, he remains moral and honorable, all the while fighting off assassins sent by the remainer of the noble house his family destroyed the night he was born. In fact, being the thirdborn male, he was to be sacrificed to Lolth, the drow patron, but was spared since, just before the ceremony, his oldest brother was killed by the second, bumping young Drizzt Do'Urden to the postion of second male child. Eventually, as he grows up, he learns the full and true nature of the society he lives in. He has a kindred spirit in the Do'Urden weaponmaster, Zaknafein, who first taught him to wield his weapons of choice, a pair of scimitars. However, Zaknafein has simply accepted that life and only takes solice in knowing that his job is to kill off his evil, twisted kin. At the end of the first book, Drizzt confronts his mother and sisters (the society is matriarchal), curses their wicked ways and the evil deity Lolth, the Spider Queen, and then makes his escape, leading to the rest of the Dark Elf Trilogy and the sequels, the Icewind Dale Trilogy and the Legacy of the Drow series.

R. A. Salvatore is an excellent author. He brings the world of the drow to life with vivid descriptions of their magic, fighting style, and the intricacies of their ability to see infared. I enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest.

Forum List

Back