The dangers of texting and driving

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I got detoured around this accident on Tuesday, and had to stop and take a photo.

2vttg8h.jpg

Here's a video link that pans across all six vehicles, since my photo only shows the first three:

Six-vehicle pileup on New Haven Avenue | Video Library | FLORIDA TODAY

The guy in the pickup ran into that PT Cruiser (which was stopped at the light) going 45 MPH because he was texting. Witnesses say he never hit the brakes. He claims he was messed up on prescription medicine, but I don't know if the cops are buying it.

Fortunately no one died.

Here's the story:

Texting, medication led to pileup on U.S. 192, police say | FLORIDA TODAY | floridatoday.com

Last edited:
Thats horrible. I don't know why people still think it is perfectly fine to text while driving. I remember I was driving a few weeks ago and this guy was texting and was starting to drift in my lane and was about to run right into me. But thankfully I had room to speed up so I could pass him.

People are stupit. And some say we do not need laws and govt watching over us.

Pass a law allowing those texting while driving to be shot legally.

I'm guilty of TWD, but it's just 3 keystrokes to send the Mrs. a "k" acknowledging her text.

It's actually safer than not responding and risking a lenghty phone call wondering where I am, what I'm doing, why didin't I answer her text, can you stop and get some milk on the way home, by the way honey I had a bad day at work and I don't feel like cooking dinner so could you maybe pick up a few sandwiches while you're at it and when you gonna mow the yard and clean the gutters like you promised last weekend blah blah blah SCREEEEEEEEEECH BAM!

I'm guilty of TWD, but it's just 3 keystrokes to send the Mrs. a "k" acknowledging her text.

It's actually safer than not responding and risking a lenghty phone call wondering where I am, what I'm doing, why didin't I answer her text, can you stop and get some milk on the way home, by the way honey I had a bad day at work and I don't feel like cooking dinner so could you maybe pick up a few sandwiches while you're at it and when you gonna mow the yard and clean the gutters like you promised last weekend blah blah blah SCREEEEEEEEEECH BAM!

I assume you read the message she sent you while driving? So, no, it wasn't just 3 keystrokes.... and it's not the number of keystrokes, it's the lack of attention to driving.

And... no, it isn't safer. The safe thing to do is turn your fucking phone off if you are not capable of ignoring the fucking thing.

Don't make excuses for your behavior. Live with it... and hope you don't kill someone. Idiot.

I assume you read the message she sent you while driving? So, no, it wasn't just 3 keystrokes.... and it's not the number of keystrokes, it's the lack of attention to driving.

And... no, it isn't safer. The safe thing to do is turn your fucking phone off if you are not capable of ignoring the fucking thing.

Don't make excuses for your behavior. Live with it... and hope you don't kill someone. Idiot.

k

You act like texting is the only stupid thing people do while driving.

I used to see people with a newspaper draped over the steering wheel so they could read while driving. I've seen women applying make up at 65 mph and men shaving at 70 mph.

I was hit twice by idiot drivers: once by a guy looking for his lighter and once by a kid trying to change a CD.

I used to see people with a newspaper draped over the steering wheel so they could read while driving. I've seen women applying make up at 65 mph and men shaving at 70 mph.

I was hit twice by idiot drivers: once by a guy looking for his lighter and once by a kid trying to change a CD.

Don't forget all the munching on Big Macs.

If it's as dangerous as drunk driving, then it needs to be punished like drunk driving...

small fines are not a deterrent...

It seems big ones aren't either considering that the drinkers just keep sliding behind the wheel after each trip to court.

Drunk driving still happens, but the statistics show that it's much less since the laws were toughened...

The chronic alcoholic will still get behind the wheel, but the casual drinker will think twice...

This is a true story and one of my "soap box issues". On June 29th, 2007, my wife was a hospice nurse. She was enroute to a patient's house because the patient was dying and needed her assistance. Enroute to the persons house she was involved in a terrible automobile accident. An 18 ear old boy was driving 74 miles per hour and texting on his cell phone and ran into her car head on. The boy was instantly killed and my wife was nearly killed. She received massive injuries and was flown by helo to a nearby trauma hospital. She was in the hospital for 31 days and had 5 ortho surgeries. She then has to spend 2 1/2 months in a nursing home mending up and for physical therapy. As a result of the accident she was no longer able to work as a hospice nurse and she now walks with a very noticeable limp and is in pain nearly every day. Her life was changed forever and it was because somebody was doing something very stupid - texting while driving. Please, please, please don't text and drive. It could cost you your life or the life of someone else.

I got detoured around this accident on Tuesday, and had to stop and take a photo.

2vttg8h.jpg

Here's a video link that pans across all six vehicles, since my photo only shows the first three:

Six-vehicle pileup on New Haven Avenue | Video Library | FLORIDA TODAY

The guy in the pickup ran into that PT Cruiser (which was stopped at the light) going 45 MPH because he was texting. Witnesses say he never hit the brakes. He claims he was messed up on prescription medicine, but I don't know if the cops are buying it.

Fortunately no one died.

Here's the story:

Texting, medication led to pileup on U.S. 192, police say | FLORIDA TODAY | floridatoday.com

Mexican air bags:​

m268_p3.jpg

Last edited:

Best one I've seen so far was a women in a older bronco who was fully animated with a coffee cup in the left hand a smoke and a cell in the right driving down I-5 this broad was in full animation arms waving jumping up and down.

I watched the cell phone fly our of her right hand and shoot across into the passenger area. What do you think she did?? Ya went for the phone the bronco leaves the far left lane cross's all four lanes of I-5 and nails a divider. I slowed enough to make sure nobody else got creamed and kept going. pretty sure the bronco was totaled.

Have to laugh WA state implemented a 100 fine for using a cell phone think its stopped anyone from using it...hell its just the cost of doing business its not a deterrent.

If it's as dangerous as drunk driving, then it needs to be punished like drunk driving...

Actually, law enforcement claims it is more dangerous than drunk driving. They say that there is at least some amount of predictability with drunks, i.e. drifting to one side or the other, weaving, driving too fast or too slow. With texting, there is none of that.

Actually, law enforcement claims it is more dangerous than drunk driving. They say that there is at least some amount of predictability with drunks, i.e. drifting to one side or the other, weaving, driving too fast or too slow. With texting, there is none of that.

I've noticed that people on the phone (without hands free) or texting tend to slow down a lot and weave as well...

It's a running joke when we see someone on the interstate going about 10 mph below the limit that they're on the phone... Most times that's what is going on...

I've noticed that people on the phone (without hands free) or texting tend to slow down a lot and weave as well...

It's a running joke when we see someone on the interstate going about 10 mph below the limit that they're on the phone... Most times that's what is going on...
At least on the Interstate you can pass them. I hate getting behind their slow asses when on a winding, no-pass two lane. Because it sometimes makes me do stupid things like pass them anyway.

Forum List

Back