The Cost of War - $752 Billion

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Toro, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,106
    http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?p=64

2. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    It's sheer knee-slapping comedy when Bush voters complain about federal spending.

3. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Let's see here....Are you telling me now that you don't support the war in Afgan?
    I know for a fact you don't support the war in Iraq.

But with that being said....War in Iraq and Afgan. since 2001=762 billion 7 years
    Cost of Social programs in 2007(not counting Social Security)=680 billion in one year

Don't get me wrong I think we should get out of Iraq too but not to our nation's detriment by leaving a mess.

4. Warner

Warner Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the issue is: Can we afford to continue this "War on Terrorism" at this level of spending?

If we bankrupt ourselves Bin-Ladin will truly have won.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Not really. I can think of plenty of things I don't want my money spent on, war or no.

What's comedy is the tax dollars you leftwingnuts want to throw at issues instead of addressing the root of those issues and correcting them and all the name-calling and accusations anyone has to endure at your hands for disagreeing with you.

By the by ... to date ... what is the total of Clinton's little Eurpoean war you never hear about cost us in tax dollars? You know, the one that hasn't ended yet?

6. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

I think the United States and its allies should create a special force consisting of soldiers from non Islamic countries specially to combat terror in every part of the planet. I know we have NATO & ISAF etc but what the world needs right now is its very own anti-terror army. Countries like U.K , U.S , Australia ,Germany, Israel ,& India can contribute towards the budget and manpower of this army.We have enough terrorism in Kashmir where there is a bloodbath almost everyday.

This will reduce U.S military spending.Personally , I think this would work. Because we have so many countries who are a part of this force terrorism can be curbed in almost every continent.

7. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,377
    Let's not forget about the 845 billion that Obama has proposed to subsidize global poverty through the UN at taxpayers expense.

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    I see the point you are making on expenditures, BOTH of which I believe need to be much lower, but as for the last thing you said...

When exactly do you think it will ever NOT be a mess in Iraq?

I mean, even if it somehow made a miraculous turnaround and violence became almost non-existent...that would obviously be our cue to leave...what if the warring sects in that country decided to start their shit again after we left, now that the US military isn't there to strong-arm them anymore?

I mean, the violence in that country may NEVER go away now that we probably irreversibly distrupted the veritable "harmony" they once had there.

Short of dividing that country up into 3 parts, I think we completely ruined the political stability within there.

At some point, you just gotta let it go and move on. What better time then RIGHT NOW, when we're teetering on the brink of bankruptcy in this country. A mistake is a mistake. We simply cannot afford it financially, militarily, politically, or any other "ly" you can think of, anymore.

9. JeffWartman

JeffWartman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It's this type of failed thinking that cause terrorism in general. What you're talking about is the problem, not the solution.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Blowback-Second-Consequences-American-Empire/dp/0805075593/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203542376&sr=8-2"]Educate yourself[/ame]

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    You can't combat a tactic. Terrorism is a tactic. It can be such a microcosm, that it's impossible to rid the world of it. It can exist in the tiniest of houses, in the most remote locations in the world, and from there it can spread like a virus, even if you've eradicated the largest portions of it.

It mainly exists because it's the only tactic many politically disgruntled people around the world can use to take on countries with large militaries.

The more we keep pissing these people off by intervening on their holy land, and strong-arming them and their families, the more terrorism is going to spread, and be used.

It'll never be beaten. It's been used for millenia. All you can really do is cut back on the intervention, and secure your OWN country.