The Conservative Line on Race

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
"That a successful middle-class black man in this country cannot buy or sell a home, raise and educate his children, or pursue his life's work without having constantly, and in innumerable ways, to deal with the stigma of race surely has something to do with the survival in that man's mind of a fealty to "his people." If you want him to abandon the figment of the pigment, why not lend a hand at dispelling the enigma of the stigma?"

A few people here do not like the fact I mention race when I discuss election issues. Well folks I'm sorry to have to say this, but those who ignore race in America live in fantasyland. This piece, while long, dissects the major conservative talking points.

The Conservative Line on Race by Glenn C. Loury

by Glenn C. Loury

"The case made in this book for racelessness is abstract, divorced from the texture of social life in this country, made mainly in the service of a color-blind policy argument, and, ironically, ahistorical. The authors like Colin Powell - and so do I. He is, for them, the black-who-doesn't-harp-on-being-black presidential candidate, whose promising electoral prospects in 1995 showed that the country was ready to move beyond race. Yet if one reads Powell's autobiography and his revealing interview in The New Yorker, or if one spends time talking to him, as I have done, one discovers that consciousness of race is at the very core of his being. He knows, and freely says, that but for being black he would never have risen to his position, and having so risen, would never have commanded the political interest that he did. That he is not a race-monger is to his credit, I believe. But his life story is no brief for racelessness -- quite the contrary. Indeed, just about every effective strategy of which I am aware that is being carried out in poor black communities to combat the scourges of violence, low academic achievement, and family instability builds positively on the kind of ethnic consciousness that Powell's biography exemplifies. There is remarkably little in America in Black and White about such positive race consciousness."

"White children, in the main, and whether they are rich or poor, grow up with a grasp of reality so feeble that they can very accurately be described as deluded--about themselves and the world they live in. White people have managed to get through their entire lifetimes in this euphoric state, but black people have not been so lucky: a black man who sees the world the way John Wayne, for example, sees it would not be an eccentric patriot, but a raving maniac." James Baldwin

Of course conservatives see race, we just don't see it as a handicap like you Liberals do. And we don't feel bad about things we can't control and history that we had nothing to do with.
In my Speech class in college, a girl got up and gave a speech about a friend she's had for a long time. She concluded the speech by saying that she had forgotten her friend was black and because of that, she wasn't a racist.
All the other students applauded her and hugs were exchanged.
All I could think was; "That's proof that she's a racist. She used her friends skin color to show that she doesn't look at skin color." Some "friend" she is huh?
Your post, and Liberals who post crap like this, remind me of her.

Um ... liberals aren't the problem either ... why do extremists like to white wash it?

It's not a black and white issue, it's not even a race issue, it's people finding an excuse on both sides to make an issue.

Of course conservatives see race, we just don't see it as a handicap like you Liberals do. And we don't feel bad about things we can't control and history that we had nothing to do with.
In my Speech class in college, a girl got up and gave a speech about a friend she's had for a long time. She concluded the speech by saying that she had forgotten her friend was black and because of that, she wasn't a racist.
All the other students applauded her and hugs were exchanged.
All I could think was; "That's proof that she's a racist. She used her friends skin color to show that she doesn't look at skin color." Some "friend" she is huh?

Exactly. White people make it a priority to have minority friends so they can brag that they have minority friends. If they tell you that "I don't see race," it's a fat fucking lie. That's pretty much the first thing they see. Whites get big credit from other whites for dragging around a black gay friend.

Tip: unless a white person is admitting they're a racist, they're probably lying. But you should be careful: point this out, and you might make them cry. It's a white-person rule: Unless we're on the Internet or don't care about losing friends/getting fired, we always, always, always deny we're racists.

Take it from someone who went through a long and painful process of admitting that yes, whites DO see race, and they don't actually love black people. Actually, really skeezy-ass blacks, whites are AFRAID of. The thought running through their heads is, "Jesus, look at that ******. It's a barely-evolved, lazy, dangerous animal that stinks and looks ugly. Better get out of the way." But the words that come out of their mouths are, "You know, I'm a really big fan of Mos Def."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back