The coming Minimum-wage increase

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Saw a cartoon a while back (don't you love those solid legal references?) where a fast-food manager is talking to five or six of his crew. He says:

"I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, a new Federal law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

:eusa_doh:

Saw a cartoon a while back (don't you love those solid legal references?) where a fast-food manager is talking to five or six of his crew. He says:

"I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, a new Federal law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

:eusa_doh:

Honestly! I heard a news announcer actually say, "These minimum wage workers have not had an increase in salary for more than 10 years." Who would keep a job with no increases? LOL!

You know there are a lot of people and I'm speaking of adults who have no real ambition and work these dull jobs. They don't have the stress the rest of us have and the are happy. Far be it from me to judge but I wouldn't want to be on the clock with no raise or ability to get ahead. When I reference dull jobs I know this guy who works at a hardware store and maybe makes 10-12 bucks an hour. He walks to work because he's gotten so many dui's he's the poster boy for not driving drunk. His wife works for the county so insurance is taken care of. He doesn't want any responsibility and he's happy doing nothing.

Thank you for demonstrating why minorities will be hit hardest...

The President says he will veto unless they provide tax breaks for businesses.

• Thanks
Reactions: 90K
Honestly! I heard a news announcer actually say, "These minimum wage workers have not had an increase in salary for more than 10 years." Who would keep a job with no increases? LOL!

Who stays in a minimum-wage job for ten years, even if the Min Wage does go up?

These hysterical pundits are imagining people who don't exist. Nearly everyone who takes a minimum-wage job, either gets raises or moves on to another job, as his experience and value to the employer increases.

Many companies with minimum-wage jobs, actually count on such mobility. When your first job is scooping ice cream at Baskin-Robbins, you almost always start at min wage. The manager likes to see people who try hard and who learn - they make fewer mistakes and make better impressions on the customer. After a year they usually either move on, or get promoted to crew chief or swing manager etc. The ones unable to get better jobs or deserve promotions, are the ones who get moved onto floor-sweeping and trashcan-emptying duty - jobs that have little customer contact. These are the dead-end jobs. Very few people stay in such jobs for ten years.

When the hysterics whine about min-wage workers who haven't had a raise in ten years, I wish their co-newsreader would as them to name one. I'll bet they could scour the countryside, visit every fast-food, Walmart, and farm in their county, and not come up with even ONE person who fits their description.

What they're doing is basically misrepresenting the news... again.

How much more will these people actually take home after taxes? If libs really cared about people working for minimum wage why not make them tax exempt from payroll taxes for a few months out of the year?

Of course Dems would never approve of a tax CUT - tax INCREASES yes - but never tax CUTS

You know there are a lot of people and I'm speaking of adults who have no real ambition and work these dull jobs. They don't have the stress the rest of us have and the are happy. Far be it from me to judge but I wouldn't want to be on the clock with no raise or ability to get ahead. When I reference dull jobs I know this guy who works at a hardware store and maybe makes 10-12 bucks an hour. He walks to work because he's gotten so many dui's he's the poster boy for not driving drunk. His wife works for the county so insurance is taken care of. He doesn't want any responsibility and he's happy doing nothing.

Yep, Joe "six pack".

But, each to their own I always say.....:cool:

How much more will these people actually take home after taxes? If libs really cared about people working for minimum wage why not make them tax exempt from payroll taxes for a few months out of the year?

Of course Dems would never approve of a tax CUT - tax INCREASES yes - but never tax CUTS

My understanding is that a head of household earning minimum wage would not only pay no taxes, but would get money back from the guv'mint because of our current tax laws.

I think the real reason the Dems are planning this, is that it will cause negative job growth in Bush's last year, then they will turn around and blame him, and use it against the GOP in the 2008 campaign. Look for some interesting triangulation by Hillary.

My understanding is that a head of household earning minimum wage would not only pay no taxes,
They still pay Social Security, Medicare etc. taxes, amounting to more than 15% of their wages, counting the part the employer has to pay to the government for the privilege of employing them.

but would get money back from the guv'mint because of our current tax laws.
They get a partial rfund on April 15, because of the "Earned Income Tax Credit" (aka Closet Welfare). It's less than the total taxes they paid in.

I think the real reason the Dems are planning this, is that it will cause negative job growth in Bush's last year, then they will turn around and blame him, and use it against the GOP in the 2008 campaign. Look for some interesting triangulation by Hillary.
Not that complex. They're just buying votes, like GWB did with his new Medicare entitlement.

Well, yeah, they're shoring up their base, the miminum wage is a classicly liberal issue, a rare one, since it's popular with most Americans (except for small-business owners).

Yes, and it will cause a recession within two years, but Bush has given all the signals that'll he'll sign the hike and get absolutely nothing in return. How "bi-partisan" of the President.

Actually, Charles Rangel may be the one to save the day on Pelosi's desire to raise taxes in a more direct way than this thing:

January 12, 2007 -- WASHINGTON - Powerhouse New York Rep. Charles Rangel is butting heads with fellow Democrat Nancy Pelosi just a week into the new Congress controlled by their party, The Post has learned.

Rangel yesterday swatted down a tax hike that Pelosi has floated, and he made an end run around her decision to bypass House committees in a rush to bring bills to a vote.

"There's a lot of tension there," one Democratic lawmaker said of the relationship between Rangel and Pelosi.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0112200...lnews_geoff_earle______post_correspondent.htm

Heh, and the "Earned Income Tax Credit" is a misnomer, it can be paid when there's no tax liability to be offset, it's just a negative income tax that isn't even included in the official poverty rate.

Forum List

Back