The Coming Food Crisis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Modbert, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    The Coming Food Crisis - By John D. Podesta and Jake Caldwell | Foreign Policy

Thoughts USMB?

2. johnrocks

johnrocks Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +279
    My opinion is, we never will have a strategy nor a solution to ending global hunger. As long as people depend on others, drop out of school,do drugs, drink in excess, live in deserts or a host of other things, hunger ,health problems and other forms of "crisis" will be with us.

3. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,998
    Something like this happening 100 years ago would have been far worse. The global distribution system we have now for trade makes it easier to offset local crises such as these.

The problem is often a problem of local distribution and control. For Somalia the lack of a strong goverment makes restoring the agricultural base impossible. Why farm when some guys with AK's can just stop by and take your whole crop.

Even with the loss of production in Russia and Pakistan, there is enough food, the issue becomes getting it to the people who need it.

4. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,125
    The world is over populated. This may surprise some but I'm going to say this anyway. I think people should be required to apply for a license to have kids. I think they should first be required to prove they can afford the kid, and are fully prepared for this child. This should be implemented world wide. All those starving people in Africa are directly attributable to the men hut hoping after the sun goes down breeding women like rabbits. The effect is millions, possibly billions of unplanned children to mothers who can't take care of them. It's not that bad here in America, but we have our share of unwanted pregnancies here to, to mothers who are in no shape, way or form either ready or able to care for these kids. It's a problem. One I think could be solved.

OK... now beat me up for my opinion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,100
    if you're not growing all or some of your own food, you're an idiot.

For all the government regulation and control of our food supply from paying farmers not to grow some things and subsidizing others and all the so called quality controls, our food supply is no more abundant nor safer than home grown foods.

We have no idea where our foods come from, what's been done to them along the way, or even if so called organic food is actually organic.

So start a small garden, save some money and eat healthier than you ever have.

Grow $700 of Food in 100 Square Feet!

Even if you live in an apartment, you can mange to grow some of your own food.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Yukon.

Yukon. Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54
    A reduction in food will do America good. You people are the laziest and fattest conglomerate in the world. Pathetic............

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,723
    Jesus said "The poor will always be with us." So why is a food shortage a big surprise?

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,826

We are the only major civilization in history that has a government subsidized policy of burning FOOD for Fuel.

There have always been weather patterns which cause periods of famine, which is why storing surpluses and cultivating hardy strains (yes, this includes GMO) makes sense. The people who will be the hardest hit by this are THE POOR. So yet again, the leftwing do gooders and government do nothings have colluded on inane policy which will cause millions of people to die needlessly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Scientists do offer some suggestions though, if those suggestions made their way into policy they might be helpful:

I gave myself permission to post in its entirety. The footnotes won't format here, but my references are below.

References
    Allen, T. and Hoekstra, T. (1992) Toward A Unified Ecology Columbia University Press, NY
    Bhagwat, S., Willis, K., Birks, J., and Whittaker, R. (2008) Elsevier, “Agroforestry: a refuge for tropical biodiversity?” Opinion retrieved July 5, 2009, from http://tiny.cc/P6GIn
    Daly, H. and Farley, J. (2004) Ecological Economics: Principles and Applications Island Press, Washington DC, US
    Mainka, S., McNealy, J., Jackson, W. (2008) Environment “Depending on Nature Ecosystems for Human Livelihoods” retrieved July 9, 2009 from Tiny URL - create a shorter link
    Marchione, T. (8 February, 2008) Hunger Notes The right to food 1998-2008: a casualty of the war on terror “Increased vulnerability through globalization” retrieved July 9, 2009 from World Hunger Notes -- The right to food 1998-2008: a casualty of the war on terror by Thomas J. Marchione
    Scherr, S., McNealy, J. (May, 2001) Common Ground, Common Future; How Ecoagriculture Can Help Feed the World and Save Wild Biodiversity retrieved July 11, 2009 from http://www.ecoagriculture.org/documents/files/doc_10.pdf
    Scherr, S., McNealy, J. (2007) The Royal Society, “Biodiversity conservation and agricultural sustainability: towards a new paradigm of ‘ecoagriculture’ landscapes” retrieved July 9, 2009 from Empire State College - Login
    USAID (July, 2004) U.S. Agency for International Development Linking Producers to Markets retrieved July 8, 2009 from http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/agriculture/ag_strategy_9_04_508.pdf

10. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Food insecurity isn't a national, regional, or cultural problem, it is global.