The case for free upper education.

CultureCitizen

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2013
There seems to be an increasing gap between the job offer and the labour supply.
"The US clearly has the jobs but not the people to fill them. Part of the reason is that a good proportion of those unemployed and marginally employed are not the people companies want. The skills gap continues to plague US labor markets."

Sober Look Labor supply demand imbalance in the United States

To me this looks as a market failure, and the government coupled with the companies should step in to make sure this gap is covered, providing free education.

From my point of view this is not an expenditure, but rather an investment, as employed people pay taxes whereas unemployed people receive benefits.

Share your thoughts on this topic.

Another interesting article

US Occupations Supply And Demand - Business Insider

Indeed, how can we expect to maintain world dominance if we treat education as an extra cost option?

This represents the people who are out there able to fill available jobs:

food-2.jpg

This represents the people who are out there able to fill available jobs:

The workforce is there, agreed. The problem is they lack the skills to fill the available positions.
The jump from construction worker to any of the available posts is rather tough.
But the new generations can be salvaged before this gap increases or is filled by immigrants ( which has allways been an option ).

the government coupled with the companies should step in to make sure this gap is covered, providing free education.

100% stupid of course. k-12 is now free, community colleges and state colleges are partially free. More welfare just encourages more sloth. Free goods are not valued, goods you pay for are!

I don't want to pay for your education I want to pay for my own. Do you get it??

the government coupled with the companies should step in to make sure this gap is covered, providing free education.

100% stupid of course. k-12 is now free, community colleges and state colleges are partially free. More welfare just encourages more sloth. Free goods are not valued, goods you pay for are!

I don't want to pay for your education I want to pay for my own. Do you get it??

Well, if it is not so how do you expect this guys to get a job, given their current situation ( e.g. unemployed ).
Do you think a bank will lend them the money?
If it is not through education and trainning how else do you suppose your fellow citizens will be able to get a job for which they lack the skills?
You should see it as an investment. Once trainned these guys will get a well paid job and have an income instead of living of wellfare programs or finding income sources in rather shady activities which can become a real burden for the whole society.

You fail to see the big picture.

"The relationship between organisations and their environments can be seen as the foremost source of complexity and interdependence. In most cases, the whole has properties that cannot be known from analysis of the constituent elements in isolation"

Where the jobs are The new blue collar

Don't wory Ed, I understand your absolute lack of historical perspective but I can help fixing that.
Luckily for America the founding fathers had a different oppinion on such matters.

University-of-Virginia-Founder-Thomas-Jefferson-Tombstone.jpg

I like this thread b/c it begs the question of paying for four years of college instead of two. I mean, why go half-ass, right? On the other hand, I'm not for paying people's junior college. I would be fine for eliminating all funds toward public education frankly.

I like this thread b/c it begs the question of paying for four years of college instead of two. I mean, why go half-ass, right? On the other hand, I'm not for paying people's junior college. I would be fine for eliminating all funds toward public education frankly.

its very simple, the liberal will always favor more welfare of every kind and the more it cripples the more he will think more welfare is needed to solve the problem of crippled people. Case closed!! This is how Bush introduced the first $2 trillion dollar budget and the first $3 trillion budget and how Barry introduced the first $ 4trillon budget.

Simple really but way over the IQ of a liberal.

Don't wory Ed, I understand your absolute lack of historical perspective but I can help fixing that.
Luckily for America the founding fathers had a different oppinion on such matters.

University-of-Virginia-Founder-Thomas-Jefferson-Tombstone.jpg

Most importantly Jefferson, with Madison, founded the Republican party in 1793.

The topic of this thread is upper education. My argument is that given the shift in job demand, there should be a certain amount of free education. Jefferson knew how important it was for the country to make public education available for Americans.

A notable republican truly,as well as Lincoln. I really miss old fashioned republicans.

The topic of this thread is upper education. My argument is that given the shift in job demand, there should be a certain amount of free education. Jefferson knew how important it was for the country to make public education for America.
A notable republican as well as Lincoln. I truly miss those republicans.

too stupid!! you're a liberal who wants to make everything free because you lack IQ . The more we have moved in that direction the more we need to move in the direction! Welfare is destroying people not helping them! Now we have 100 times more welfare than the liberal dreamed about 50 years ago but guess what? TH eliberal always wants more

The topic of this thread is upper education. My argument is that given the shift in job demand, there should be a certain amount of free education. Jefferson knew how important it was for the country to make public education for America.
A notable republican as well as Lincoln. I truly miss those republicans.

too stupid!! you're a liberal who wants to make everything free because you lack IQ . The more we have moved in that direction the more we need to move in the direction! Welfare is destroying people not helping them! Now we have 100 times more welfare than the liberal dreamed about 50 years ago but guess what? TH eliberal always wants more

Its a simple concept but not for someone with a liberal IQ

Ok Baiamonte, I did make you a simple straight question, which you were unable to answer ?
How exactly do you plan that the 6+ million unemployed that worked in the manufacturing industry get a job without propper trainning ?

Well, if it is not so how do you expect this guys to get a job,

it hard when liberals drove 40 million jobs off shore with their unions, taxes and deficits and invited in 20 million illegals to take the remaining jobs.

people could get jobs if we made Democrats illegal.

it hard when liberals drove 40 million jobs off shore with their unions, taxes and deficits and invited in 20 million illegals to take the remaining jobs.

Unions have nothing to do with that

Wow, Pol Pot , Stallin and Hitler would be so proud of your policy making. What a bright idea ! We then only get one party to vote for.

Unions have nothing to do with that

Wow, Pol Pot , Stallin and Hitler would be so proud of your policy making. What a bright idea ! We then only get one party to vote for.

too 100% stupid as always!!! we might have 2 or more parties but they be would be parties based in intelligence rather than pure liberal ignorance. We might have the conservative party and libertarian party for example.

Last edited:
Well, considering that many returning soldiers from WWII were offered free college under the GI Bill after coming home, and they took the government up on their offer, resulting in many getting a higher education, I think it would be good for the job market if we invested in our younger people by giving them 2 years of free college tuition.

The result would be a better educated society that is able to come up with innovation and make this country stronger like it was in the 50's and 60's.

Me personally? I think that giving a 2 year degree to whoever wants it and is willing to work for it (remember.........to keep the free tuition, students must maintain a C plus average or better) would only help with labor and manufacturing.

Lots of jobs today require an education that goes above the 12th grade due to innovations in manufacturing and computers.

Well, considering that many returning soldiers from WWII were offered free college under the GI Bill after coming home, and they took the government up on their offer, resulting in many getting a higher education, I think it would be good for the job market if we invested in our younger people by giving them 2 years of free college tuition.

The result would be a better educated society that is able to come up with innovation and make this country stronger like it was in the 50's and 60's.

Me personally? I think that giving a 2 year degree to whoever wants it and is willing to work for it (remember.........to keep the free tuition, students must maintain a C plus average or better) would only help with labor and manufacturing.

Lots of jobs today require an education that goes above the 12th grade due to innovations in manufacturing and computers.

too stupid!! the entire liberal program is to always offer more and more welfare of every kind! If the idiot liberals thinks education is a necessity imagine what he thinks of the essentials like food clothing shelter transportaion health care primary education etc etc This is how we got $20 trillion in debt and in more need of welfare than ever.

Simple really but just not for a low IQ liberal.

Forum List

Back