The bitter stench of hypocrisy...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1><font color=red>Can you say "Hypocrite"...?</font></h1></center>

<blockquote>House Majority Whip Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) told evangelical Christians last week that only Christianity offers a reasonable answer to basic questions about the purpose of life. - <a href=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A18077-2002Apr19&notFound=true><i>The Washington Post</i></a></blockquote>

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but Tom DeLay shrouding himself in the mantle of Christian virtue is rather like dressing a pig in velvet and brocade. It makes the pig uncomfortable and the velvet and brocade gets soiled and tattered. But Tom has much to be uncomfortable about as it is...not the least of which are his questionable ethics and being a hairs breadth away from an indictment in Texas. I And by his actions, he soils the good name of Christianity. By past standards he would be branded a blasphemer and stoned to death.

Then there's that little thing about Christianity "...being the only reasonable answer..." to life's challenges. Well, I've got news for him...a goodly majority of the world's population has gotten along just fine without his particular brand of Christianity, thank you very much.

And of course, there was his little speech before The Family Research Council in which he promised that Republican leaders would work to implement the political agenda of the religious right wing-nuts. But golly, can you overlook those ethics charges and possible indictments? For the whole written transcript and audio tape, the <a href=http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=press_audio>Americans United for Separation of Church and State</a> is the website to go to. They've got all the sordid details on Tom's groveling and whining.

It should be obvious by now, to anyone capable of rational thought, that the Republicans are using religion to further their own political power while, in actuality, they do nothing more than pay lip-service to Christian virtue.

<blockquote>5: Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

6: Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. - Matthew 7, 5-6</blockquote>

Citations:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...ode=&contentId=A18077-2002Apr19&notFound=true

http://www.au.org/site/PageServer?pagename=press_audio

Bullypulpit said:
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but Tom DeLay shrouding himself in the mantle of Christian virtue is rather like dressing a pig in velvet and brocade. It makes the pig uncomfortable and the velvet and brocade gets soiled and tattered. But Tom has much to be uncomfortable about as it is...not the least of which are his questionable ethics and being a hairs breadth away from an indictment in Texas. I And by his actions, he soils the good name of Christianity. By past standards he would be branded a blasphemer and stoned to death.

You've got the man tried, convicted, and hanged already. Let's give him his day in court, shall we?

Bullypulpit said:
Then there's that little thing about Christianity "...being the only reasonable answer..." to life's challenges. Well, I've got news for him...a goodly majority of the world's population has gotten along just fine without his particular brand of Christianity, thank you very much. ]

Funny how a nation founded on Christian principle has served as a beacon of hope for a world that has always gotten - and is getting - along so well. Take America out of the equation of the last 229 years. Wouldn't the world be a peachy place?

Bully, I was not aware that Tom DeLay had been found guilty of anything. I was only aware that he was under investigation and may be indicted.

And regardless, Tom's personal behavior does not negate the truth of Christianity, any more than Peter or Paul's sinful behavior negated that truth.

gop_jeff said:
Bully, I was not aware that Tom DeLay had been found guilty of anything. I was only aware that he was under investigation and may be indicted.

And regardless, Tom's personal behavior does not negate the truth of Christianity, any more than Peter or Paul's sinful behavior negated that truth.

While Tommy's behavior doesn't negate the value of Christianity, it does tarnish it. And by wearing the garb of Christian piety and virtue, he soils it terribly.

musicman said:
You've got the man tried, convicted, and hanged already. Let's give him his day in court, shall we?

Funny how a nation founded on Christian principle has served as a beacon of hope for a world that has always gotten - and is getting - along so well. Take America out of the equation of the last 229 years. Wouldn't the world be a peachy place?

I don't already have him convicted, but unless Republican law-makers in Texas and Washington change the rules again, he soon will be.

If you call the current state of affairs, "getting along so well", then I suggest you put your rose-colored galsses back on and go back to sleep.

Bullypulpit said:
I don't already have him convicted, but unless Republican law-makers in Texas and Washington change the rules again, he soon will be.

Thank you, Oliver Wendell Bullypulpit. Or should I say, Miss Cleo?

Bullypulpit said:
If you call the current state of affairs, "getting along so well", then I suggest you put your rose-colored galsses back on and go back to sleep.

Ummm...you missed my point. They look to us for hope because they're NOT doing all that....ahhh, heck with it.

Sir Evil said:
Now Bully, I would think the same could be said about you and your religion seeing as the only reason that you make these post is so you can take your cheap shot at republicans?

I Bully, by the name of Buddhism reject everything about republicans!
buddha.gif

Nah, that doesn't sit to well does it? your to obvious to be taken serious Bully! :D

Sorry, my opinions are my own. And, I don't need to take cheap shots at Republicans...They do quite well at shooting themselves in the ass with no help from anyone else.

Bullypulpit said:
Why don't you enumerate them for me...Hmmm?

"Happy is the person who finds fault with himself instead of finding fault with others." - 'Dhammapada 252-53'

This isn't a commandment or anything, just advice right?

Bullypulpit said:
While Tommy's behavior doesn't negate the value of Christianity, it does tarnish it. And by wearing the garb of Christian piety and virtue, he soils it terribly.

Lets not judge a Christian since we are not one and know very little about it. Why don't you stick to the heathen Buddhists, the Chicomms.

Serious question here.....

Why do you bother replying to Bully's idiotic, immature and ignorant posts? Have any of you ever once had Bully say to you, "you know, I agree with you for once"? No. He is not here to converse, learn, discuss, whatever. He is only here to ridicule, troll, and raise the hair on your heads.

Why waste time?

freeandfun1 said:

Why do you bother replying to Bully's idiotic, immature and ignorant posts? Have any of you ever once had Bully say to you, "you know, I agree with you for once"? No. He is not here to converse, learn, discuss, whatever. He is only here to ridicule, troll, and raise the hair on your heads.

Why waste time?

Truthfully (and sadly), I look forward to the Bully v. USMB threads. The really 'serious' threads get boring after a while.

freeandfun1 said:

Why waste time?

Free I know, i've tried to appeal to his sense of pride, honour anything to get him to act serious now and then but to no avail. I've told myself time after time not to respond to this piece of shit but like a cleverly worded and brightly neoned sign outside of a strip joint I get drawn in every time only to find its full of 40 something housewives and crack addicts.

I guess I just like to meet the Constitution's enemies head on.

Sir Evil said:
Bully is definitely a good board commodity, without him there would be very little to pick on except the real trolls! :D

Evil, you and I disagree on this one. I think Bully is like a piece of dogshit that you forget was there from an accident the dog had in the house. It gets all moldy and crap and starts to wreak, you discover it scoop it up and promptly throw it in the trash.

All this should be done to Bully.

I'm like Gunny Sargeant Hartman in Full Metal Jacket when he says to Cowboy" I'll be watching you!", I scan every one of Bully's posts with a magnifying glass.

freeandfun1 said:

Why waste time?

Actually, I have agreed with Bully ona couple of occasions.

And this would be a very boring board if we always agreed about everything.

gop_jeff said:
Actually, I have agreed with Bully ona couple of occasions.

And this would be a very boring board if we always agreed about everything.
I've agreed with him rarely but mostly I like to watch him get picked to pieces. He's good practice for some folks ! :teeth:

I agree with SE and Jeff, Bully is fun to have around and occasionally I even agree with him. :thewave:

My point is that we are always adult enough to admit that maybe he is right on one or two occassions whilst he NEVER admits any of us that do not agree with his initial view might be right. That means that unlike many on this board, he it totally intellectually dishonest. That was my point.

Forum List

Back