The Birfer State Law Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Conspiracy Theories' started by Toro, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,081
    The birfers seem to be pretty confident that at least one state will pass a law requiring Presidential candidates to produce their long-form birth certificates. This thread is to keep track of the bills in those states. Post all info, pro and con, about the state bills here.

A n00b recently told us that there are such bills currently before 11 state legislatures across the country. Those states are

Oklahoma
    Tennessee
    Missouri
    Arizona
    Hawaii
    Texas
    Indiana
    Montana
    Connecticut
    Nebraska
    Maine

Wikipedia has the first 10.

Barack Obama citizenship conspiracy theories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sheldon supplied Maine.

HP0027, LD 34, item 1, An Act To Require Candidates for Public Office To Provide Proof of Citizenship

Sheldon ponders if xotoxi is behind it. I think that merits investigation.

Anyways, we can strike Arizona from that list. It appears that the bill died in the Senate committee, with two Republicans voting with three Democrats to kill the bill.

Presidential candidates won't need to show birth certificate for Arizona ballot - East Valley Tribune: Arizona

Driggs and McComish are Republicans on the Arizona Senate Judiciary Committee.

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/50leg/1R/comm_min/Senate/021411JUD.DOC.htm

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,081
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,081
  4. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    :lol: Good call on the thread.

I want to do Missouri. It's just a great example of how birfer politics operates.

In 2009, some Republicans in their legislature introduced HRJ 34, a proposed state constitutional amendment, and what they called "the voters' bill of rights". Here's the relevant part:

After the jump, if you click on the link to the bill's text, you see it's been withdrawn. Why? Because the authors of the bill realized that Missouri ONLY issues COLBs. That bill would have excluded any Missourian from being on their own state's ballot for President! There's not enough bandwidth for the number of lol's I want to post because of that.

So there's a new bill that's been introduced.
    Missouri House of Representatives

HTML text:http://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills111/biltxt/intro/HB0283I.htm

The relevant sentences are bolded. What's different? This one, which has yet to be heard, makes no distinction about an "official birth cerfiticate" and a COLB, like the debacle above. All that's listed is "proof of identity and proof of United States citizenship for each candidate", which means Obama's COLB and, say, driver's license would be good enough.

Birfers, the gifts that keep on giving.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,081
    :lol:

Thanks Silky. I owe you rep for that.

So I guess we can scratch Missouri off that list, eh?

6. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    As far as Oklahoma is concerned, I can't find any bill in this legislative session addressing proof of citizenship for being on the Presidential ballot. Nearest I can find is a bill that attempts to redefine state citizenship by closing the "anchor baby loophole" in the 14th. Imo that brings up some pretty major Constitutional issues, but that's for another thread, and doesn't directly address Presidential eligibility.

eta-- http://www.scribd.com/doc/47903325/OK-SB384-2011-Shortey , http://www.scribd.com/doc/47903322/OK-SB91-2011-Brinkley , http://www.scribd.com/doc/48030753/OK-SB540-2011-Sykes

But I also wonder about the Constitutionality of some of these bills, how they would work within the Full Faith & Credit clause. Can, for example, xotoxi's bill in Maine reject vetted, official documents from the state of Hawaii and declare that person to not be an American citizen? :eusa_think:

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,370
    Does that mean that Truman was not qualified to be President?

8. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330

Yeah I think so. I'm not a lawyer or anything like that, but the bill is pretty short and straight-forward. His COLB will be good enough, as it should be, and I suspect these other bills will end-up having their teeth yanked out too, if not through the legislative process then through the courts.

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,081
    It seems that the sponsor of the bill in Maine is attempting to distance himself from the birfers.

Secretary of state backs bill requiring proof of citizenship to run for state office | State

This is what the bill says.

HP0027, LD 34, item 1, An Act To Require Candidates for Public Office To Provide Proof of Citizenship

What am I missing here? It appears that the bill does ask for the long-form birth certificate, or am I wrong?

10. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    as maine goes, so goes vermont.

just sayin

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1