The Biggest Loser of the Debate was Conservatism

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Interesting op-ed by conservative John Ziegler who I think nailed it...

Some key quotes from the article...

In about one hundred minutes of discussion, I can recall only one principle that was fairly well outlined and which also resembled anything close to traditional conservative political theory.

Trump has continually claimed, in addition to being a border hawk on immigration and supposedly being “pro-life”, that he is a great defender of the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. And yet, on two major occasions during the debate, Trump actually staked out positions which, if Hillary alone had voiced them, would have had the NRA and the “conservative” media up in “arms.”

I believe that a legitimate conservative with no real baggage like Marco Rubio would have crushed Hillary in that debate and would be headed to the White House with the goal of preserving Antonin Scalia’s Supreme Court seat. Possibly just as sad as that reality is that, these principles will now go at least eight years between opportunities to educate the non-political public about them, on a grand stage, with little filtering by the mostly liberal news media.

The only question now is whether conservatism, assuming it isn’t already dead, would die sooner if Trump loses, or if he somehow wins. It is my belief that it is far more likely be the latter.

This is exactly why I made a thread called Here's Why Liberals Win This Election No Matter Who Takes The Presidency, because Amnesty Don is simply not a conservative.

Your thoughts...?

I see and speak with younger Conservatives in real life. They are not found reading books or editorials in newspapers. They are digging for online sources that address them in the modern world. We have done a poor job of communicating with them.

Much the same can be said for folks living in poverty areas. They are tired of being policed as livestock. Being dehumanized as allowed them, nay emboldened them to view anyone outside their world as threats to be removed.

The middle class has been eroded and is disconnected from both rich and poor, though they fear being poor more than see opportunity for wealth.

I see and speak with younger Conservatives in real life. They are not found reading books or editorials in newspapers. They are digging for online sources that address them in the modern world. We have done a poor job of communicating with them.

Much the same can be said for folks living in poverty areas. They are tired of being policed as livestock. Being dehumanized as allowed them, nay emboldened them to view anyone outside their world as threats to be removed.

The middle class has been eroded and is disconnected from both rich and poor, though they fear being poor more than see opportunity for wealth.
How does your statement relate to conservatism?

The message is getting lost, to the point someone like yourself wonders how my post relates.

In about one hundred minutes of discussion, I can recall only one principle that was fairly well outlined and which also resembled anything close to traditional conservative political theory.

Trump has continually claimed, in addition to being a border hawk on immigration and supposedly being “pro-life”, that he is a great defender of the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. And yet, on two major occasions during the debate, Trump actually staked out positions which, if Hillary alone had voiced them, would have had the NRA and the “conservative” media up in “arms.”

I believe that a legitimate conservative with no real baggage like Marco Rubio would have crushed Hillary in that debate and would be headed to the White House with the goal of preserving Antonin Scalia’s Supreme Court seat. Possibly just as sad as that reality is that, these principles will now go at least eight years between opportunities to educate the non-political public about them, on a grand stage, with little filtering by the mostly liberal news media.

The only question now is whether conservatism, assuming it isn’t already dead, would die sooner if Trump loses, or if he somehow wins. It is my belief that it is far more likely be the latter.

This is exactly why I made a thread called Here's Why Liberals Win This Election No Matter Who Takes The Presidency, because Amnesty Don is simply not a conservative.

Your thoughts...?

Shrug. Neither am I.

The message is getting lost, to the point someone like yourself wonders how my post relates.
Are you suggesting that they are simply a modern conservative that's different from previous conservatives?

I'm seriously trying to understand.

Are you suggesting that they are simply a modern conservative that's different from previous conservatives?

Sorry, I did mean to imply you were not serious.

I think they are the same as far as wanting limited government, a Supreme Court that rules according to the Constitution without interpreting it, a balanced budget and the like. What they see Conservatives actually doing is something entirely different. So they conclude long standing leaders have been corrupted. This leads to considering outsiders as needed to correct the improper direction we are headed.

Sorry, I did mean to imply you were not serious.

I think they are the same as far as wanting limited government, a Supreme Court that rules according to the Constitution without interpreting it, a balanced budget and the like. What they see Conservatives actually doing is something entirely different. So they conclude long standing leaders have been corrupted. This leads to considering outsiders as needed to correct the improper direction we are headed.
Using a total non-conservative, to ultimately get to your conservative values...

Interesting strategy.

Your thoughts...?
My thoughts are that it's a bit bizarre to make a wild claim and then not even attempt to back it up. What specifically did Trump say that should have the ire of NRA?

He has their endorsement, last I heard. Very pro 2nd.
What's to FINALLY do something about our porous border.
Enforce immigration laws.
Close sanctuary cities.
Kill obamacare.
Kill common Core.
Reduce taxes across the board.
Clean house on business regulations.
Make better trade deals.
Go after ISIS moreso.

I don't see any lack of conservativism in that. People are free to disagree but when they have to rely on smears, lies and allegations it says a lot about their own hollow views.

Forum List

Back