The Big Giant Tax Cut?

How much is your big giant tax cut?

• Total voters

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
The biggest ever...according to President Trump.

I've watched and listened to politicians all my life. I've known for years that politicians are not particularly trustworthy. They often fudge the truth, or they talk around the truth, or they avoid giving a direct answer to a simple question. Sometimes they can be 100% for (or against) some issue unless (or until) it becomes politically unpopular to do so, at which point they'll make a 180 degree change of opinion and claim that it's a change of heart and not an expedient decision. It's difficult to maintain any real respect for men and women who have no real values and core beliefs, especially when they tend to preach about values to the rest of us.

There's actually one person and event that stands out in my mind in this regard. It's Newt Gingrich. It happened a few years when he was already out of office and didn't have to concern himself with any more elections or public opinion polls regarding his leadership. I mean, he already had a pretty darn sleazy reputation when it came to his personal life and his time in office, but he was now a private citizen, and one could argue that he could now give his honest opinion on a wide variety of topics. That is, if he chose to do so. I guess it was simply too much to expect from a man who spent his life paving the road to hell with bad intentions.

At any rate, the event happened a few years ago as Libya was in a meltdown, and Muammar Gaddafi was threatening to lay waste to one of his own cities (Benghazi, as it turns out) because of protests related to the Arab Spring movement. Well, Gingrich goes on TV and criticizes Obama for not taking military action. Then, days later when Obama DID take military action (without involving U.S. ground troops, by the way), Gingrich went on TV and criticized Obama for putting Americans in harm,s way. What? Six years later, he still hasn't changed his stripes considering that months ago he praised Robert Mueller and his unimpeachable credentials, and he now calls him corrupt.

You get the picture, I'm sure. But, as the title of this thread suggests, this thread isn't about Gingrich; it's about the big giant tax cut.

I went to a website that allowed me to calculate my big giant tax cut savings. It's a whopping one half of one percent. That's .005! That means that for every $100.00 in taxes I currently pay, I'll get 50 cents back. When I can't even measure the savings in paper currency, I don't think "big" is an accurate operative word to describe the tax cut.

But this thread isn't just about the so-called tax cut. It's about President Trump. I have never heard a politician lie as much, or as often, or as BIG as Trump does. And it's so blatant, so obvious, and so mind-numbingly transparent, that I'm befuddled as to why otherwise reasonable and usually rational people are taken in by all these glaring falsehoods.

The only solace I feel at this point is that I know that eventually the vast majority of liars and flimflam men are discovered for what they truly are. Additionally, the more public they are in their lying, the sooner it usually happens. I just can't figure out why more people haven't caught on about Trump by now. But with Trump's approval rating currently hovering around 32% at the end of his first year in office, I expect the fatigue and disillusionment factor to start gaining more traction in the months to come. Perhaps that will start to pick up more steam when the working class people who helped put him in office see their big giant tax cut next year. If that doesn't do it, perhaps it will happen when estimates are put forward about how much money the entire Trump family will save in taxes yearly. Keep in mind that Trump said he would not benefit from the big middle class tax cut. See what I mean about the lying?

Last edited:
No you didn't, that calculator is based on the older House version of the bill. The calculator site states this clearly and warns you not to rely on the results. The bill has simplified calculating your taxes, just go read the bill and hand calculate them as I did. Trump saved me thousands of dollars, thanks president Trump :eusa_clap:

Near as I can figure I will pay more on less income?! But that won't be until 2018 taxes are filed. Thankfully there is a full year for the the laws to be fixed from this rethuglian screwing of America.

Near as I can figure I will pay more on less income?! But that won't be until 2018 taxes are filed. Thankfully there is a full year for the the laws to be fixed from this rethuglian screwing of America.

Are you in a blue state and hit the $10k cap on deductions for state income taxes and property taxes? There are going to be some losers in this tax reform bill. If your state has been raping you on income and property taxes look out.

No you didn't, that calculator is based on the older House version of the bill. The calculator site states this clearly and warns you not to rely on the results. The bill has simplified calculating your taxes, just go read the bill and hand calculate them as I did. Trump saved me thousands of dollars, thanks president Trump :eusa_clap:

Care to do the math?

Care to do the math?

From what I see the group of people most at risk of getting slammed with a big tax increase are single filers earning over $157k who live in high tax blue states who purchased expensive homes.

The deduction for state income and property taxes are capped at $10k total, combined. In some blue states the property taxes alone on a home will exceed that cap, meaning they will lose the deduction for property taxes over $10k plus the entire deduction for state income taxes.

That could be thousands of dollars. The standard deduction was increased to $12k for single filers but that won't help if they are paying $20k in state income and property taxes. Married couples have more hope of avoiding the pinch as they get a $24k standard deduction.

If Trump really cared about the middle-class worker, he would has established a federal $15.00/hr minimum wage and given businesses a tax credit to offset the additional wage. Of course predator companies such as Trump International wouldn't like that.

Looks like I'll be able to buy that new pair of underwear I've been wanting.

Seriously, trump is a tool and will sign what ever is put in front of him.

The Repubs have said that next year, they finish off the working class by trashing SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid.

If Trump really cared about the middle-class worker, he would has established a federal $15.00/hr minimum wage and given businesses a tax credit to offset the additional wage. Of course predator companies such as Trump International wouldn't like that.

$15 an hour is a middle class wage? Yeah back in 1980 :laugh:

Looks like I'll be able to buy that new pair of underwear I've been wanting.

Seriously, trump is a tool and will sign what ever is put in front of him.

The Repubs have said that next year, they finish off the working class by trashing SocSec, Medicare and Medicaid.

Link?

You really think burger flippers and such deserve a minimum wage that is more than what I will make working for my state with a degree required?

Care to do the math?

From what I see the group of people most at risk of getting slammed with a big tax increase are single filers earning over $157k who live in high tax blue states who purchased expensive homes.

The deduction for state income and property taxes are capped at $10k total, combined. In some blue states the property taxes alone on a home will exceed that cap, meaning they will lose the deduction for property taxes over $10k plus the entire deduction for state income taxes.

That could be thousands of dollars. The standard deduction was increased to $12k for single filers but that won't help if they are paying $20k in state income and property taxes. Married couples have more hope of avoiding the pinch as they get a $24k standard deduction.

You've managed to avoid the question.

First it was too much and then it was too little. It's just a freaking change in the tax structure. Why are lefties acting so freaking hysterical? Do they really thrive on economic stagnation?

Care to do the math?

You've managed to avoid the question.

Sure I can do that math.

I've watched and listened to politicians all my life. I've known for years that politicians are not particularly trustworthy. They often fudge the truth, or they talk around the truth, or they avoid giving a direct answer to a simple question. Sometimes they can be 100% for (or against) some issue unless (or until) it becomes politically unpopular to do so, at which point they'll make a 180 degree change of opinion and claim that it's a change of heart and not an expedient decision. It's difficult to maintain any real respect for men and women who have no real values and core beliefs, especially when they tend to preach about values to the rest of us.

There's actually one person and event that stands out in my mind in this regard. It's Newt Gingrich. It happened a few years when he was already out of office and didn't have to concern himself with any more elections or public opinion polls regarding his leadership. I mean, he already had a pretty darn sleazy reputation when it came to his personal life and his time in office, but he was now a private citizen, and one could argue that he could now give his honest opinion on a wide variety of topics. That is, if he chose to do so. I guess it was simply too much to expect from a man who spent his life paving the road to hell with bad intentions.

At any rate, the event happened a few years ago as Libya was in a meltdown, and Muammar Gaddafi was threatening to lay waste to one of his own cities (Benghazi, as it turns out) because of protests related to the Arab Spring movement. Well, Gingrich goes on TV and criticizes Obama for not taking military action. Then, days later when Obama DID take military action (without involving U.S. ground troops, by the way), Gingrich went on TV and criticized Obama for putting Americans in harm,s way. What? Six years later, he still hasn't changed his stripes considering that months ago he praised Robert Mueller and his unimpeachable credentials, and he now calls him corrupt.

You get the picture, I'm sure. But, as the title of this thread suggests, this thread isn't about Gingrich; it's about the big giant tax cut.

I went to a website that allowed me to calculate my big giant tax cut savings. It's a whopping one half of one percent. That's .005! That means that for every $100.00 in taxes I currently pay, I'll get 50 cents back. When I can't even measure the savings in paper currency, I don't think "big" is an accurate operative word to describe the tax cut.

But this thread isn't just about the so-called tax cut. It's about President Trump. I have never heard a politician lie as much, or as often, or as BIG as Trump does. And it's so blatant, so obvious, and so mind-numbingly transparent, that I'm befuddled as to why otherwise reasonable and usually rational people are taken in by all these glaring falsehoods.

The only solace I feel at this point is that I know that eventually the vast majority of liars and flimflam men are discovered for what they truly are. Additionally, the more public they are in their lying, the sooner it usually happens. I just can't figure out why more people haven't caught on about Trump by now. But with Trump's approval rating currently hovering around 32% at the end of his first year in office, I expect the fatigue and disillusionment factor to start gaining more traction in the months to come. Perhaps that will start to pick up more steam when the working class people who helped put him in office see their big giant tax cut next year. If that doesn't do it, perhaps it will happen when estimates are put forward about how much money the entire Trump family will save in taxes yearly. Keep in mind that Trump said he would not benefit from the big middle class tax cut. See what I mean about the lying?

I am going to pay way more since I will now be paying taxes on the money with which I pay my state and local taxes.

But as king as the trump dupes think they're getting a tax cut

In the course of my adult life, this will be the biggest ever reduction in the marginal tax rate I apply to my taxable income. The magnitude of the cut will be 19.6%. The thing is that of all the tax cuts I've received, this is the one I least need, and it's the one that will have the least impact on my lifestyle. Were the cut going to have more qualitative impact, I'd feel differently about it, I'd might even the thrilled about it. But that isn't the case for me, and given what I understand about the cut's details/structure, it won't be the case for anyone else situated roughly as I am. I doubt that it'll make a material difference for anyone except perhaps folks who shit from being employees to being principals and thereby see their tax rate drop from 30-something percent to twenty percent.

I have never heard a politician lie as much, or as often, or as BIG as Trump does.

Amen!

Not only does that man lie and palter about big things and in big ways, but also he does the same re: small things, things for which there is simply no reason to misrepresent the truth.

I have never heard a politician lie as much, or as often, or as BIG as Trump does. And it's so blatant, so obvious, and so mind-numbingly transparent, that I'm befuddled as to why otherwise reasonable and usually rational people are taken in by all these glaring falsehoods....I just can't figure out why more people haven't caught on about Trump by now.

By my reckoning, their rationality isn't the primary issue, though there's nonetheless clearly an egregiously manifold dearth of it. It's that their character is cut from the same reprobate cloth as is Trump's. That, IMO, is a malaise that's insidiously beset the U.S. citizenry over the course of the past twenty years or so. When I was developing into an adult, ways, means and ends mattered. These days, it's all or nearly all about ends.

I just can't figure out why more people haven't caught on about Trump by now. But with Trump's approval rating currently hovering around 32% at the end of his first year in office

(See above) It appears that about a third of the polity is cut from the cloth I mentioned above.

The only solace I feel

I'm glad you're able to find some....Count your blessings in that regard....

Care to do the math?

If he knew how to do the math, he wouldn't be a trump dupe

First it was too much and then it was too little. It's just a freaking change in the tax structure. Why are lefties acting so freaking hysterical? Do they really thrive on economic stagnation?

Dem's have convinced their base the solution is to confiscate most of the money the 'rich' earn.

Care to do the math?

If he knew how to do the math, he wouldn't be a trump dupe

Welcome to the ignore penalty box :itsok:

Forum List

Back