the ban on semi-automatic assualt rifles was lifted in 2004

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tresbigdog, Dec 19, 2012.

1. tresbigdog

tresbigdog Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    the 10 years that it was in effect, 1994 - 2004, there was 1 (ONE) mass shooting, and that, as we all know was Columbine. Since the ban was lifted, 8 years ago? We have had 8

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  2. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Only 8? Damn.

3. tresbigdog

tresbigdog Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    compared to 1 in 10 years

4. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    And what you are some how concluding from this is that inanimate objects cause increases in mass shootings?

5. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    One mass shooting between 1994 and 2004, eh?

Lie much? Here's a few you may have missed:

1999 - Mark Barton, Atlanta, Georgia, 25 causalities
    1999 - Harris/Klebold, Littleton, Colorado, 34 causalities
    1998 - Kipland Kinkle, Springfield, Oregon, 29 causalities
    1994 - Dean Mellburg, Fairchild, Washington, 28 causalities
    1999 - Larry Ashbrook, Fort Worth, Texas, 15 causalities
    1999 - Silvio Leyva, Tampa, Florida, 8 causalities
    2000 - Michael McDermott, Wakefield, Mass, 7 causalities
    2004 - Gale Nathan, Columbus, Ohio, 12 causalities

I stopped at 8...though there are plenty more during the period. Do you always lie like this? How sad.

Of course, we won't mention that mass killings have been on the decline for some time, with the peak being 1929. No, no...that doesn't fit your agenda.

Anyway, let's look at what else occurred after the ban ended. In the first year after the ban was lifted, murders declined 3.6%, and violent crime 1.7%. Geez, that doesn't support your argument.

Ah well, perhaps things improved DURING the ban? Nope:

Only 1.4% of recovered crime weapons where models covered under the 1994 “assault weapons” ban. Even the government agrees. According to a National Institute of Justice study:
    “The weapons banned by the legislation were used only rarely in gun crimes”
    “We cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence.”
    “The ban has failed to reduce the average number of victims per gun murder incident or multiple gunshot wound victims.”
    “The public safety benefits of the 1994 ban have not yet been demonstrated.”

So, I'd agree with you, but you're wrong.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  6. eflatminor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    No snappy comebacks? How sad...:lol:

7. JKVegas

JKVegas Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Why do you NEED the guns?

1) To protect yourself from crime?

How many times have you been a victim? Unless you are a courier of valuables, or incredibly oblivious to your surroundings, it's not very likely you will be the victim of ANY crime. If you're a regular middle-class guy like me, you probably don't own much of anything anyone would want to steal, and if you don't go around hassling others, I doubt anyone would want to assault you.

Everyone in the Old West was armed, and crime occured anyway. So did murders.

2) I need protection from the tyranical government

I can name many examples of people who were armed and ended up losing large in a confrontation with the government.

The Confederate States of America had ARMIES. They LOST.

This evil, tyranical government you speak of never bothers me. I haven't even talked to an on-duty cop for 25 years, except to wait on them where I work. What are you DOING that I'm not which requires them to pester you so much?

If 4 Federal agents came to your house because you did something illegal, it's more than likely you'd be carried out in handcuffs. If you turned firearms on them, you'd leave in a body bag. I guess you have the satisfaction, tho, of threatening THEIR lives.

The only people who feel they NEED guns are the ones who wish to use them out of some ridiculous fetish that it makes them more manly, or they live in some fantasy world that having one would make any diference.

Now, where's the cursing little dimwit who will call me some profane name, because he thinks it makes him Internet Tough Guy World Champion?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

There are many many many factors which effect various crime rates in different periods of time. Do you have stats on which weapons were used in the mass murder events you listed in that time period? Pity there was a grandfather clause which kept some of those guns out there. Then there are the gun manufacturers and sellers who played semantic games with gun features to weasel around the rules so they could keep their cash flow going. Also a pity there was a sunset provision which allowed the ban to expire unless acted upon by Congress and pity our leaders did nothing at that time to keep the ban in place. At that time, the Nancy Lanzas of the world ran to buy one "just in case". So, when people claim "the ban didn't work" I just shake my head...

9. eflatminor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    So...you've got NOTHING to refute the overwhelming statistics that support the idea that the so called "assault weapons" ban was a complete and utter failure. Not a thing...other than a "head shake". Well that's just pathetic.

But please, now that you've decided you know what's best for everyone else, please, tell us exactly what gun control measure will keep crazy motherfuckers and dumb criminal thugs from using firearms in the commission of a crime?

The floor is yours...

10. tresbigdog

tresbigdog Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    sorry, I was at this place I go to every day...its called WORK