The Avengers

I saw it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed the film.

The action was good and there was a lot of it. The humor was spot on. it was a lot of fun.

Ist histhe 60s TVs series starring Patric McNee and Diana Rigg or some crappy remake?

Neither, but I'd rather watch McNee and Rigg.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmgrnsaE1U]The Avengers TV intro (1965) - YouTube[/ame]

Great show!

What boy that can remember the show didn't have the hots for Emma Peel?

tumblr_l0z8q88feF1qa0wj4o1_500.jpg

To this day I love a girl in leather.

The movie version of the TV Avengers could have been good if they had a decent script.

I LOVED Iron Man!

I thought the first Iron Man was a good popcorn flick. It wasn't as good as X-Men 1 or 2, and not nearly as good as The Dark Knight.

That still put it well above the rest of the Avengers lead up movies. :eusa_shhh:

I thought the first Iron Man movie was good, the second one was okay, Captain America was kind of mediocre, and I really like the Thor movie. The Hulk movie, meh, it was alright.

That aside, since these other movies have already established the characters, we don't have to go through long boring scenes with their backstories. We already know who Thor is or Captain America is, so we can get right to the meat of the plot, which they did very well.

I doubt they could get all the actors to find the time for another Firefly movie. Nathan Fillion, at the least, is busy with Castle. If the others also have obligations (and Summer Glau seems to have little trouble finding work in tv) conflicting schedules could make it impossible.

Even with the Avengers success, getting backing for such a movie could be hard, too.

My daughter said it'd be a prequel, because Wash (?) needs to be there.

I doubt they could get all the actors to find the time for another Firefly movie. Nathan Fillion, at the least, is busy with Castle. If the others also have obligations (and Summer Glau seems to have little trouble finding work in tv) conflicting schedules could make it impossible.

Even with the Avengers success, getting backing for such a movie could be hard, too.

My daughter said it'd be a prequel, because Wash (?) needs to be there.

As much as I loved Firefly and Serenity, I just can't see how you would squeaze in a prequel that would be after the series and before the movie, and then have the additional problem of all the actors being 10 years older and fatter.

I mean, it's science fiction, they could write Wash back in if they really wanted to.

Yeah buddy!!!!!

'The Avengers' unleashes fury with second-biggest single day ever at box-office - NY Daily News

The haul puts the Disney-distributed "Avengers" on course to gross more than $150 million through Sunday and gives it a chance to overtake "The Dark Knight," the 2008 Batman epic that netted $158.4 million its opening weekend.

The well-reviewed "The Avengers" looks to continue its Hulk-like strength. The movie received a rare "A+" grade from American audiences, according to CinemaScore, a market research firm. On Friday, Fandango, the online ticket seller, was selling 19 tickets a second to the movie, spokesman Harry Medved told TheWrap, a movie industry news website.

To go off on a tangent, does anyone else ever get a bit annoyed at the record breaking movie sales that don't take ticket prices into account? Sure, Avengers may end up making the most money.....but it's probably not going to be anywhere in the ballpark of most tickets sold!

Here's a couple of links to sites that have attempted to take the disparity in ticket sales into account.

First, here's all time sales adjusted for inflation :
All Time Box Office Adjusted for Ticket Price Inflation

Here's an attempt to estimate total numbers of tickets sold for movies :
Movies: Top 229 by U.S. Theatre Attendance (All-Time) at MROB

Considering the rise of alternate media sources, and specifically alternate ways to access movies outside of theaters, I'd guess Gone With The Wind will remain the all-time leader.

I think Joss Whedon has shown a great ability to write/direct well for ensemble casts, which is why I think the movie worked. (Unlike some of the X-Men movies, where they just threw a bunch of characters at you, and you only knew who was who by your level of personal geekdom.)

I think Joss Whedon has shown a great ability to write/direct well for ensemble casts, which is why I think the movie worked. (Unlike some of the X-Men movies, where they just threw a bunch of characters at you, and you only knew who was who by your level of personal geekdom.)

Somehow, you landed in the wrong thread with this post.

Somehow, you landed in the wrong thread with this post.

Yes, I did... OOOOPS! I guess I'll have to make cracks about WheretheSunDon'tshine in the Avengers thread just to even it out....

I think the reason why this movie worked really well is because Joss Whedon is excellent at writing for and directing ensemble casts. The characters fit together well and everyone gets just a bit of story time for their persona.

He did this very well on Firefly and I've heard that Buffy he did this as well (although I didn't watch Buffy that often.)

I think compared to the X-Men movies, where they throw a bunch of characters up on the screen and you have to guess which one is which based on how much of a Comic Book Geek you are because sometimes they don't even tell you the characters name.

Again, though, it helped that almost all the characters were established in the five movies building up to this.

Forum List

Back