The Asian American Journalist Association Demands Apology From Fox News

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Asian American Journalists Association 8211 AAJA Seeks Apology From Fox News for Irresponsible Comments About Islam

"The killing of photojournalist James Foley was disturbing, appalling, monstrous. We understand the visceral reaction to the horror.

What we at the Asian American Journalists Association don’t understand is how the barbaric act of a terrorist group could be used to condemn and to smear an entire faith.

Yet that’s precisely what Fox News host Andrea Tantaros did when she suggested in an “Outnumbered” segment that aired Aug. 20 that all Muslims are like ISIS, the group purportedly behind the execution of Foley. “They’ve been doing this for hundreds and hundreds of years if you study the history of Islam,” she said.

More alarmingly, Tantaros goes so far as to advocate violence.

“You can’t solve it with a dialogue. You can’t solve it with a summit,” she said. “You solve it with a bullet to the head. It’s the only thing these people understand.”

AAJA calls for Tantaros and Fox News to apologize for the irresponsible, inflammatory statements. We also call on Fox News to discourage its journalists from making blanket comments that serve to perpetuate hate and Islamophobia.

Muslims and Islam are not interchangeable terms with terrorists or ISIS. We in the media know better and must be vigilant in our choice of words.

Fox News representatives did not respond to multiple AAJA inquiries about Tantaros’ statements.

Sincerely
AAJA MediaWatch Committee
Paul Cheung, AAJA National President"

Fox News: Fraudulent and Bigotted.

Outnumbered is an interesting show. By interesting, I of course mean it’s a generally a fever swamp of fear, xenophobia, hyperbole, innuendo, ignorance, and poorly or dubiously sourced news stories. It takes a lot of energy and closed bubbled focus to remain that fearfully and angrily committed day after day. It’s kind of perversely admirable in a rather twisted way.

The cycle is mind-numbingly predicable.

When Andrea Tantaros or whomever is called out by an outside agency for saying something dumb, offensive, or even flirting with the outer environs of the conspiratorial and the outright lunatic on Fox, you can reliably count upon nothing at all being done about it in response by the parent agency.

At best, Fox will simply hunker down and wait for whatever the purported issue is to blow over; as it inevitably will due to the twenty-four hour news cycle in combination with far too many media outlets seeking content to fill all of that time. At worst, they’ll simply double down upon the same offensive or outrageous statements that begat the complaints as such things are the very reason they exist in the first place. It’s just customized blather for the base of the GOP.

Refuting the innumerable ignorant, inflammatory, or blatantly and provably untrue assertions the various talking heads on Fox News regular burble through your local cable provider would require vast amounts of time and energy. Far more so than they deserve. Yes, Andrea’s completely dim. So?

As I remind friends from time to time, Fox News is a closed loop. They’re convincing no-one of anything that is not already ideologically receptive to their message. At the risk of being overly simplistic, Fox News is really only talking to Fox News viewers. So none of it actually matters a great deal. I find viewing them for what they are rather than what they would hope to be mistaken for is generally the correct and most emotionally healthy response. Which is to say, clowns of no real import rather than sophisticates with policy influence.

While I dislike such things as much as the next rational and well informed individual, it’s probably not worth the bother, Paul Cheung of AAJA Media Watch Committee.

I realize there's a counter argument to be made: By not attempting to correct the record, right a wrong, address the misinformation, educate, etc. we give tacit approval to such actions and therefore embolden it's continuation. It's a valid point. I suppose I defer to my first reaction out of a pragmatic, if somewhat depressing, acceptance that the people like Andrea, media like Fox News, and their credulous followers have no interest at all in having their opinions swayed by factual information that runs counter to their comfortable emotional bias. It's all a bit pointless.

Just pointing and giving Andrea & Fox News a Nelson laugh from The Simpsons is probably the way to go.

Muslims are what they're.

A religion that has used violence to get their way throughout history...

Why are asians the same? Most asians aren't muslim.

It isn't about Asians, it's about standards of journalism. And it's about painting with too broad a brush, which you are doing in the post I am quoting.

The Asian Americans Journalist Association can go screw themselves. Ideologies can be evil. Simply because an ideology takes the cloak of religions doesn't wash away the evil embedded within the ideology. Damn, even today, EVERY SCHOOL of Islamic Jurisprudence still mandates a punishment of death for male apostates. Every one.

Tantaros statement is logically defensible. If one believes in an evil ideology then one must be held accountable for the beliefs even if one hasn't actually committed an evil act. We don't give communists and nazis a pass because they personally didn't commit mass murder.

Outnumbered is an interesting show. By interesting, I of course mean it’s a generally a fever swamp of fear, xenophobia, hyperbole, innuendo, ignorance, and poorly or dubiously sourced news stories. It takes a lot of energy and closed bubbled focus to remain that fearfully and angrily committed day after day. It’s kind of perversely admirable in a rather twisted way.

The cycle is mind-numbingly predicable.

When Andrea Tantaros or whomever is called out by an outside agency for saying something dumb, offensive, or even flirting with the outer environs of the conspiratorial and the outright lunatic on Fox, you can reliably count upon nothing at all being done about it in response by the parent agency.

At best, Fox will simply hunker down and wait for whatever the purported issue is to blow over; as it inevitably will due to the twenty-four hour news cycle in combination with far too many media outlets seeking content to fill all of that time. At worst, they’ll simply double down upon the same offensive or outrageous statements that begat the complaints as such things are the very reason they exist in the first place. It’s just customized blather for the base of the GOP.

Refuting the innumerable ignorant, inflammatory, or blatantly and provably untrue assertions the various talking heads on Fox News regular burble through your local cable provider would require vast amounts of time and energy. Far more so than they deserve. Yes, Andrea’s completely dim. So?

As I remind friends from time to time, Fox News is a closed loop. They’re convincing no-one of anything that is not already ideologically receptive to their message. At the risk of being overly simplistic, Fox News is really only talking to Fox News viewers. So none of it actually matters a great deal. I find viewing them for what they are rather than what they would hope to be mistaken for is generally the correct and most emotionally healthy response. Which is to say, clowns of no real import rather than sophisticates with policy influence.

While I dislike such things as much as the next rational and well informed individual, it’s probably not worth the bother, Paul Cheung of AAJA Media Watch Committee.

I realize there's a counter argument to be made: By not attempting to correct the record, right a wrong, address the misinformation, educate, etc. we give tacit approval to such actions and therefore embolden it's continuation. It's a valid point. I suppose I defer to my first reaction out of a pragmatic, if somewhat depressing, acceptance that the people like Andrea, media like Fox News, and their credulous followers have no interest at all in having their opinions swayed by factual information that runs counter to their comfortable emotional bias. It's all a bit pointless.

Just pointing and giving Andrea & Fox News a Nelson laugh from The Simpsons is probably the way to go.

Very impressive read. Welcome to USMB.
toth.gif

Fox Noise's M.O. is to stir the shit, whip their waiting drones into a frenzy and as soon as they're sitting ducks, sell 'em an expensive commercial. Basically the same intellectual fast food as Dr. Phucking Phil or Maury Povich. They should just drop the word "news" from the logo and start being honest about it.

yeah ok, when they condemn Msnbc for spreding lies and hate, or CNN, ABC or NBC for being biased lapdogs for the DNC then people might take them serious. but this is just petty and shallow and they should be the ones ashamed for using this mans death for their own agenda, which is just attacking Fox news

yeah ok, when they condemn Msnbc for spreding lies and hate, or CNN, ABC or NBC for being biased lapdogs for the DNC then people might take them serious. but this is just petty and shallow and they should be the ones ashamed for using this mans death for their own agenda, which is just attacking Fox news

Tell ya what Steph -
If I declared to the world "everybody named Stephanie is a terrorist who eats babies"... and Joe Blow jumped up to denounce me for saying it, would your read be that "Joe Blow's 'agenda' is to attack Pogo"?

Because that's basically what you did there.
toth.gif

:lol:

look up all the terror groups out there and let me know how many aren't muslims

then try to tell me again that islam isn't violent and that you can reason with them

This again??

OK, then this again: All Terrorists are Muslims -- except the 94% that Aren't

Non-Muslims Carried Out 90% of All Terrorist Attacks on U.S. Soil

There's a whole world outside Da Bubble! Who knew.

Hey, thanks for the link. I know it's off topic here but the next time I read someone writing about Right-Wing violence, this chart from your link will come in mighty handy. Latino terrorists are the biggest threat we face and Democrats are in bed with the Hispanic community. Yeah multiculturalism. Then Communists and Left wingers make up another 29%. Muslims and Jews, both supporters of Democrats make up another 13%.

Where the hell are the Right Wing groups, they can't even do enough violence to beat the Jewish terrorists and get their own category. Priceless.

piechart2.jpg

Latino terrorists are the biggest threat we face and Democrats are in bed with the Hispanic community.
. Muslims and Jews, both supporters of Democrats

Yeah, you go with that specious reasoning, Sparky. Please let me watch when you do.
You must be some kind of masochist.

Where the hell are the Right Wing groups, they can't even do enough violence to beat the Jewish terrorists and get their own category. Priceless.

Ironically right next to your pie chart the page runs this pic:
BwCCfDbIUAAz1sO.jpg:small

Ain't it grand how we find what we're looking for and then suddenly go blind? "All lies and jest, still a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest"

And the second link, in analyzing the first, notes the same labeling flaw you did:
The chart is misleading in several ways. For example, it labels “Extreme Left Wing Groups” and “Communists”, but not “Extreme Right Wing Groups” or “Fascists”. It should have either discarded all partisan labels, or included labels for both ends of the spectrum. In addition, “Latinos” is misleading, as Loonwatch is actually referring to Puerto Rican separatist groups, Cuban exile groups and the like.​

But hey, if you're concerned the Eric Rudolphs and Tim McVeighs aren't getting enough face time, call David Duke. I hear he knows some people who know how to uh, "get under the hood" so to speak.

None of this was the point of course. The point was the religion mythological stereotype the previous poster proffered. As link 2 concludes:

Based on our review of the approximately 2,400 terrorist attacks on U.S. soil contained within the START database, we determined that approximately 60 were carried out by Muslims.

In other words, approximately 2.5% of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.* This is a tiny proportion of all attacks.
-- so that myth dies its ignominious death.

-- so that myth dies its ignominious death.

That's not the way to debunk the myth. Counting incidents without paying attention to the severity of incidents completely distorts the understanding. Secondly, we also need to account for thwarted incidents - Times Square bomber, Shoe Bomber, and then we have to correct for politically mislabeled terrorist incidents - Hassan shooting up Ft. Hood and yelling "Allahu Ackbar" being classed as workplace violence. Do you honestly believe that the Ft. Hood shooting was workplace violence?

Muslims are what they're.

A religion that has used violence to get their way throughout history...

Why are asians the same? Most asians aren't muslim.

It isn't about Asians, it's about standards of journalism. And it's about painting with too broad a brush, which you are doing in the post I am quoting.

And then there are those who don't know their history or what the ontological justification for Islam is. These are the folks lacking 20/20 vision who can't paint at all because their brushes never touch the canvas. Islam is theocratic fascism. That is its nature. That is its practice. That is its end. Those who don't grasp that are blind.

Quite obviously any given system of thought can and more often than not is monolithically something or another. Just how stupid is the following statement: "What we at the Asian American Journalists Association don't understand is how the barbaric act of a terrorist group could be used to condemn and to smear an entire faith."

Well, it's pretty stupid, but not just that, it's an instance of intellectually dishonest leftist yahoos painting . . . . with too broad a bush. But I imagine that readily obvious fact flies right over your head.

Those of us who are not blind do not imagine that an isolated, "barbaric act of a terrorist group" proves that "an entire faith" is evil because the group responsible for that "barbaric act" claims that faith as its own. Duh. We know the entire faith of Islam is evil due to its ontological justification and its nature. The logical end of its ontology and ethics is self-evident. Consequently, it is not surprising that its practice at both the micro and macro levels is oppressively evil, and the fact that the Islamic world is almost entirely a world of totalitarian regimes spouting hatred as they fund mayhem around the world is not surprising either. Duh.

And it's not those of us who have eyes that can see spouting stupid straw men like the following: "Muslims and Islam are not interchangeable terms with terrorists. . . ."

Well, now, who did spout this straw man?

Answer: the members of the Asian American Journalists Association, that's who.

Therefore, who are the demagogues in this instance?

Answer: the members of the Asian American Journalists Association, that's who.

What are those who have eyes that can see actually saying: the barbaric acts of Islamofascism routinely perpetrated all around the world are, of course, committed by Muslims. They're not committed by the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Duh.

Forum List

Back