The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement needs to be stopped

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by The Jackal, May 27, 2010.

1. The Jackal

The Jackal Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those who haven't heard of this go here eff.org/issues/acta or here publicknowledge.org/issues/acta .

What disturbs me the most is the fact that this act seems to be trying to impose a control and censorship over the internet, the epicenter of our ideals of free speech. Furthermore, this act appears to me to be extremely communistic and no matter how small the areas of control are now, once the government is able to control and monitor our internet who knows how quickly or to what extent that control could increase and spread.

If you feel the same way please go to secure.eff.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=383 and send a message to your senator voicing your opinion.

2. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,913
    Your main concern seems to be with one portion of the treaty, the warrantless searches of IP's for suspected pirates.

I agree with the criticism over all the secrecy, but protection of intellectual property is a serious concern. I do agree that warrantless forcing of IP's is wrong, and in the US, unconstitutional.

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,860
    Peru leads the world in counterfeiting U.S. currency...
    :eek:
    Peru the global leader in dollar counterfeiting
    Sep 5,`13 -- The police colonel was stunned by the skill of the 13-year-old arrested during a raid on counterfeiters in Lima's gritty outskirts, how he deftly slid the shiny plastic security strip through a bogus $100 banknote emblazoned with Benjamin Franklin's face.