The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Proposition 8 unconstitutional.

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
I just checked my email and I just received the following (I will highlight some key parts) :

Human Rights Campaign

BREAKING NEWS:

A federal appeals court has declared Prop. 8 unconstitutional!

The two loving couples who were plaintiffs in this case deserve our thanks.

Send them a note right now.

Dear Steven,

My heart is pounding in my chest.

In a monumental decision today, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Proposition 8 unconstitutional.

Their move upholds a lower court's decision that anti-gay bigotry was behind Prop. 8, the hateful law that denied gay and lesbian Californians the freedom to marry.

This fight is about people like Kristin and Sandy and Jeff and Paul – the two courageous plaintiff couples in this suit who have sacrificed so much to help bring about this victory.

I can't think of anything more fitting at this moment than to show them our gratitude.

Will you take a moment to send Paul, Jeff, Kristin, and Sandy a quick thank-you note? Thank them for their inspiration, and ask them to keep fighting for all of us.

Prop. 8 does nothing to strengthen or protect any marriage. Instead, it singles out thousands of loving California families for different treatment, simply because they are gay and lesbian couples. The Ninth Circuit ruled on the right side of history by recognizing that our Constitution cannot tolerate such egregious discrimination.

Here's what the Court said in its decision: Prop. 8 "served no purpose, and had no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationship and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples."

The path ahead may still be long, but this case has helped propel the fight for marriage equality forward. And as the struggle continues in courtrooms and statehouses, we'll all know the power behind it is driven by devoted supporters like you.

Send a note to the plaintiff couples now. Tell them how much their courage means to you.

This monumental decision affirms what we all know to be true – our Constitution exists to protect the basic civil rights of all Americans – gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.

The fight goes on, and I can't thank you enough for being a part of this extraordinary movement.

I'm sending my note now,

Joe Solmonese

Joe Solmonese
President

In your face, religious scumbags. :D

If you don't like this news and you are religious, this is for you:
scumbag-steve-hat-template.png

(It's a scumbag steve hat)

Forum List

Back