The 50 Best Colleges in America

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by Jennifer Polland

best-colleges-in-america.jpg

Best Colleges in America

When it comes to assessing the value of a college, only one thing matters: how much that school will help you succeed in life. And with college tuition at record highs and staggering unemployment rates, it's more important than ever to select a school wisely.

Where is yours on the list? Find out @ The 50 Best Colleges in America - Business Insider

by Jennifer Polland

Best Colleges in America

When it comes to assessing the value of a college, only one thing matters: how much that school will help you succeed in life. And with college tuition at record highs and staggering unemployment rates, it's more important than ever to select a school wisely.

Where is yours on the list? Find out @ The 50 Best Colleges in America - Business Insider

interesting list but I think that it has a flaw -- to me, it seems that a school that is best for one student is not best for another. What helps me succeed is not what helps you. Trying to make a list of schools which have high percentages of employment placement or which people in certain fields think produce people they would hire does not speak to the need of the student. I'd be happy to send my child to a school not on that list if it was cheaper and helped her get into the grad program that got her hired. I went from college into grad school (and then into another grad school) so my undergrad "hireability" would not have been a meaningful statistic.

by Jennifer Polland

Best Colleges in America

interesting list but I think that it has a flaw -- to me, it seems that a school that is best for one student is not best for another. What helps me succeed is not what helps you. Trying to make a list of schools which have high percentages of employment placement or which people in certain fields think produce people they would hire does not speak to the need of the student. I'd be happy to send my child to a school not on that list if it was cheaper and helped her get into the grad program that got her hired. I went from college into grad school (and then into another grad school) so my undergrad "hireability" would not have been a meaningful statistic.

the list isn't based on a particular individual's sensibilities. it's a more general assessment based on a set of criteria.

us news is usually the list people look at. it's ordered a bit differently than the above.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

not that any of the schools would be bad choices.

by Jennifer Polland

Best Colleges in America

the list isn't based on a particular individual's sensibilities. it's a more general assessment based on a set of criteria.

us news is usually the list people look at. it's ordered a bit differently than the above.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

not that any of the schools would be bad choices.

the list from Business Insider says "we asked real professionals in a variety of industries—most of whom have hiring experience—what they consider to be the best colleges in America."

I was hired out of my second grad school, not college, so this would count against my college (which ranks higher than the grad school on the US news list.)

I honestly doubt I would hire anyone based on their educational experience unless it was somehow directly relevant to the job; Which means I probably would not hire anyone without PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

Therefore, unless I'm hiring to fill a position in education, then the quality of the university or college is almost irrelevant.

Universities charge for dorm rooms, naturally. If your child can easily commute to the nearest college and live at home, that's tens of thousands of dollars saved. Now I'm in northeast Ohio, we have lots of schools here, so it's easier for us, maybe not so much for those in more remote areas.

I honestly doubt I would hire anyone based on their educational experience unless it was somehow directly relevant to the job; Which means I probably would not hire anyone without PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE.

Therefore, unless I'm hiring to fill a position in education, then the quality of the university or college is almost irrelevant.

And yet the Catch 22 is that you can't get the experience unless someone hires you first. This is the conundrum that employers have created.

Forum List

Back