The 2019 Harley Davidson Road King.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Crixus, Aug 15, 2019.

1. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,787
    Get a Sportster. I had one that was an 883 that I had bored out to a 1200, and kept the 883 piston arms (for more torque). Then, I put a decent cam kit in it, and had the engine outfitted with adjustable push rods.

For the styling of the bike, I got rid of the standard controls and put in forward controls, put on an extended rear fender, 21 inch chrome spoke on the front, and dropped the shocks from 13 inches to 11. Got rid of the small fuel tank and got a conversion kit so I could put on big twin tanks. Drag bars, a good seat and mini sissy bar finished it out, and it only weighed in at around 425 lbs.

And, not only did people have trouble telling it apart from a big twin Harley (they had to look at the engine to figure it out), but it also ran like a scalded cat. One time a friend of mine tried to drop me while we were riding. He had a big twin, and I was on my Sporty with a passenger on the back (110 lbs). Well, we ended up going down the highway at around 110 mph for 10 miles, and when we got to where we were going, he looked at me and said he didn't know what in the hell I was riding, but he damn sure didn't think it was a Sportster.

Matter of fact, had the engine so well tuned that I rode from Amarillo TX, over all the various passes in CO for a week, ending with a ride to the top of Pike's Peak and then back to Amarillo. My friend kept looking at me funny all week, and when we got to the top of Pike's Peak, he said in an amazed voice, that my bike hadn't sputtered once on the trip. I said so what? Yours didn't either. He then told me that yeah, his didn't, but that was because he had fuel injection. Apparently, carburated engines aren't supposed to do that.

2. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,847
    I have a Sportster...though I'll say what you did to yours makes me want to cry.

3. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,787
    Why? Because not only was it the best looking Sportster in Amarillo TX at the time, but it was also the fastest. Had it on a dyno once to find out the top speed, and it was around 130 mph.

And, to tell you the truth, doing all that custom work to it wasn't that expensive. I think I sank a grand total of around 5,000 in engine work, parts and paint to get it that way.

4. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,847
    Forward controls, skinny front tire, and lowered the back, making the already-poor rear suspension awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,290
    That bike is fucking sick!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,787
    Actually, part of what made the bike work so well was the Corbin seat that I had on it. Matter of fact, I have ridden from Ft. Collins CO to Amarillo TX in one day, and I was still able to walk after I got off the bike. And, drag bars with forward controls make for a very comfortable ride IMHO. I didn't like the way the stock controls made me perch on the bike, and I didn't like the ride height with the 13 inch shocks.

7. Crixus

Crixus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,493

I found out a sportster is to small for me. It's rideable, but in just to long. The mid controls on my superglide are fine. But on the sportster it just feels weird. Mine is 2005 1200 sportster. My son hits it better so he rides it now and will likely own it. I ride around town and sometimes to New Orleans or some other place in Texas. May ride out to palo duro canyon on vacation and the super glide is fine for that. If I rode to sturgis every year or something like that then the superglide just won't do. It would kick my ass I think. If I rode state to state allot I would have a road King.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,847
    Try the Tallboy seat. Huge difference on my Sporty.

9. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,787
    Well, I'm not that big of a dude, only 5'7" and around 135 lbs soaking wet, so lowering the shocks didn't really mess with me much, matter of fact, it actually made the bike more rideable for me. And, the bonus was, that with the conversion kit and the big twin tanks, if you didn't look at the engine first, you would think it actually was a big twin.

And, when I first started out, it was severely underpowered for what I wanted, because people were making fun of me for not being able to keep up. It was after I did the engine work that people started to look at me different and wonder what in the hell I was riding, because Sportys weren't supposed to be able to beat big twins (according to them).

10. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44,483
    My first street bike.....
    FZ750 Genesis.
    What an eye opener after riding dirt bikes all my life.
    I can't imagine what the new gen sport bikes of today are like,this one scared the living shit out of me the first time I opened it up!

[​IMG]