Debate Now The 2016 Campaign, Election and Aftermath

Who are you currently leaning toward to be President?

• Hillary Clinton

• Ted Cruz

• John Kasich

• Marco Rubio

• Bernie Sanders

• Donald Trump

• Other and I'll specify in my post

• I don't have a preference yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
And whether a body leans left, right, Democrat, Republican, or something else, IMO this is why Trump has done so well:

upload_2016-5-9_12-36-43.png

Among all the various trivia of silly season, I receive and at least scan a lot of politically based newsletters, some sent out by the candidates themselves, and others from politically oriented groups. One of the more obscure ones is titled "ReaganReports" and is owned by Scot harris of Newsmax Media. It usually offers pretty routine propaganda and unexciting pundit stuff.

Today though, I was perusing it while having lunch and I thought this rather interesting. If accurate, obviously Carly was not Cruz's first choice for VP and makes me wonder how many turned him down before somebody said yes?

And I have said all along that Cruz and Rubio would be a bad match up not because they're both of Cuban heritage. Who the heck cares? But the idea of two first term Senators, both of whom have been in politics their entire lives, is a huge red flag to me.

But anyhow, this was interesting:

Cruz Campaign Blames Rubio for Failure to Stop Trump

If Sen. Marco Rubio had agreed to become Sen. Ted Cruz's running mate, the duo could have stopped Donald Trump from becoming the Republican nominee for president, Cruz officials told CNN.

In the aftermath of Trump being left as the only remaining Republican candidate in the primaries this week, several officials in the Cruz campaign said the Texas senator offered Rubio the vice presidential spot in early March after their internal polls showed such a combined ticket would easily defeat the real estate mogul in several states which at that point had not yet voted.

But those officials told CNN that Rubio was not interested in the idea. Officials in the Florida senator's campaign said there was never such a concrete offer. They added that in any case Rubio would have rejected it because such a ticket would be ineffective in defeating Trump, given that both candidates are of Cuban heritage and as senators would have been viewed as being two insiders ganging up on an outsider, which would have played into Trump's storyline.

The Red State blog criticized the Cruz campaign for trying to deflect blame, pointing out that the Texas senator had insisted all along that he could challenge Trump if Rubio bowed out of the race, and so it was not fair now to start pointing figures when Cruz couldn't make good on his promise to beat Trump in such a scenario.

However, Hot Air, another conservative blog, said that such a combination would have at the very least prevented Trump from getting the delegates necessary to avoid a contested convention and a Cruz/Rubio combination would have stood a good chance of winning on a second ballot in Cleveland.

But, the blog added, it was unrealistic for Cruz to have expected Rubio to give up his presidential bid at that stage of the race.​

Again this was in my e-mail so I can't link it. But everybody can go to the website ReaganReports.com.

Just a quick update. Hillary edged Bernie out in Nebraska and it has been cited by the media as a big win. Bernie blew Hillary out in West Virginia, but that was just a win.

Trump earned over 61% of the vote in Nebraska and a whopping 77% in West Virginia and the media is reporting that as a problem for Trump because so many refused to vote for him.

We'll see.

And now the #nevertrump people are going to have to make some hard decisions. Do they support Hillary? Or somebody else other than Hillary or Trump or just not vote which would deny Trump their vote and therefore help Hillary? I have been in that position--refuse to vote for John McCain for instance--I really REALLY had to hold my nose to vote for Mccain--but I knew that would help Barack Obama. So in the end I voted for McCain. As it turned out, it didn't matter.

Will it matter this time? All will have to search their consciences and decide that for themselves. But I hope and pray we get it right this time.

trump-cartoon-branco.jpg

And this one was too good not to share :)

Nov. 9, 2016, ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. — President-elect Donald Trump announced his first cabinet selections last night, minutes after the major networks projected him as the winner in Tuesday’s election. . .

. . .Trump has promised to fill his Cabinet with “winners,” so perhaps his selection of former Minnesota Gov. Jesse “The Body” Ventura as secretary of State was not so remarkable.

“Let’s see how Putin or those Mexicans react when they have to sit across the table from Jesse,” laughed Trump, adding that Ventura, who won multiple professional wrestling championships, has agreed to wear wrestling trunks and a boa during all negotiations with foreign diplomats. “We’ll scare the crap out of them,” The Donald said. . .

. . .Trump’s selection of Carlos Irwin Estevez as secretary of Health and Human Services was widely seen as a peace offering to Hispanics. The selection of Estevez, better known by his stage name, Charlie Sheen (#winning, #tigerblood), was immediately criticized by members of both political parties. Trump defended the selection by noting Sheen had the personal experiences to qualify him for the job. “Look, you meatheads, Charlie is a winner, an upstanding guy who knows a hell of a lot about substance abuse, divorce, family issues and weirding people out,” The Donald said. “We’ve tried putting politicians into these high positions, and look where it got us. - . . .

. . .Trump and his vice-president-elect, Kim Kardashian, announced they would immediately begin a major national tour to thank voters for their support and rally the country around his agenda, which includes “telling it like it is” and acting tough. The trip will include stops at all of Trump’s hotel and resort properties around the world. Tickets will be available through Ticketmaster and are expected to go on sale before the weekend. Trump’s press secretary, Ted Cruz, indicated there would be various pricing levels for the events. - . . .

- See more at: President-Elect Donald Trump Announces First Cabinet Picks

Fox I am in need of a cooler head. At what point can we cease to suffer under this egomaniac. Just like the lib posters here, the president of the u tied states calls us all ignorant, at a college commencement speech no less. Now the lib posters are fine, after a while it is just like background elevator music, but the president of the United States. Is there no one with the balls to stand up to this conceited bigot. Where is the conservative outrage? Where is the media reporting? Where is the " this is not who we are" people. Where are those that call for civil political discourse? Give me a little literary Xanax, cause I definitely have my panties in a wad about this one.

Fox I am in need of a cooler head. At what point can we cease to suffer under this egomaniac. Just like the lib posters here, the president of the u tied states calls us all ignorant, at a college commencement speech no less. Now the lib posters are fine, after a while it is just like background elevator music, but the president of the United States. Is there no one with the balls to stand up to this conceited bigot. Where is the conservative outrage? Where is the media reporting? Where is the " this is not who we are" people. Where are those that call for civil political discourse? Give me a little literary Xanax, cause I definitely have my panties in a wad about this one.

You just did Shrimp. But let's just hope the President keeps making people furious. I think he gains Trump voters every time he says something prejudicial and stupid like that. And for those of us who see Donald Trump as far superior to what the Democrats are offering us, that's a very good thing.

Some interesting poll results posted today at Rasmussen:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that only four percent (4%) of Likely U.S. Voters believe it is more important for women to vote for a woman candidate because she is a woman. Ninety-one percent (91%) disagree and place more importance on where the woman candidate stands on the issues.
Should Women Vote First for Women? - Rasmussen Reports™

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just six percent (6%) of Likely U.S. Voters believe a man running against a woman for political office should campaign differently than he would against another man. An overwhelming 90% think the man should treat the woman candidate just the same way he would treat another man.
Should Women Candidates Be Treated Differently? - Rasmussen Reports™

And this current RCP projection map is also interesting.

It ranges from dark blue for strong Clinton to dark red for Strong Trump. And the current count between blue and red Clinton 227 to Trump 143. But the gray 'undecided states' will provide 168 EC votes.

And the barely Clinton states outnumber the barely Trump states. I am not convinced CA is so dark blue either and I don't believe TX is only barely Trump. No way TX will vote Hillary.

rcp-map.png

NEWS FLASH!!!! Megyn Kelly will air her one on one interview with Donald Trump this past week. We all know about the food fight between Megyn and the Donald. But for some amazing insights into how that interview will go, plus some other thoughts Megyn has on the subject, watch this:

Megyn Kelly Previews Prime-time Special Interview with Donald Trump

Did anybody catch Megyn Kelly's (short) interview with Donald Trump last night? It was on the Fox network, not the Fox News channel.

While I appreciate Megyn reaching out to make amends with the Donald after their long running feud--and they seem to have reached an accord--I was completely underwhelmed, even bored by that interview. Not enough time. Not enough substance. And while she should have devoted the whole hour to him, it was just a short segment and then she went on to other topics.

IMO it really was a move along folks, nothing to see here kind of thing.

While Megyn has been hugely successful in her Fox News slot--her ratings did slip a bit, not seriously, over a lot of disapproval over her debate moderation that many saw as inappropriate and personally vindictive--I think she will need a lot more practice before she will achieve the status of a Barbara Walters or Diane Sawyer doing that kind of show.

I am tiring of Megan's incessant self promotion. She'll say it is not about me but then spend the rest of the segment talking about herself. Tonight she was reviewing the reviews. I am all for women asserting themselves and being strong and proud, but I think Megan is getting a little too full of herself.

I'm hoping she just hit a bad patch and will figure it out. She really has a lot of potential and when she is on, she is very competent. But this wasn't her finest hour for sure.

For those who have about 15 minutes to watch a brilliant (and funny) Oliver video, and who get the sense that this whole primary process is more or less strangely out of kilter, watch this. Honestly, you'll be glad you did:

Quick update:

TRUMP CLINCHES GOP NOMINATION

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president Thursday, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and set the stage for a bitter fall campaign.​

Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the national convention in July. Among them is Oklahoma GOP chairwoman Pam Pollard.

"I think he has touched a part of our electorate that doesn't like where our country is," Pollard said. "I have no problem supporting Mr. Trump."

It takes 1,237 delegates to win the Republican nomination. Trump has reached 1,238. With 303 delegates at stake in five state primaries on June 7, Trump will easily pad his total, avoiding a contested convention in Cleveland. . . .

Associated Press

It is insignificant but still interesting that against 16 other candidates he was able to clinch his party's nomination while Hillary has not technically yet clinched hers.

Quick update:

TRUMP CLINCHES GOP NOMINATION

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump reached the number of delegates needed to clinch the Republican nomination for president Thursday, completing an unlikely rise that has upended the political landscape and set the stage for a bitter fall campaign.

Trump was put over the top in the Associated Press delegate count by a small number of the party's unbound delegates who told the AP they would support him at the national convention in July. Among them is Oklahoma GOP chairwoman Pam Pollard.

"I think he has touched a part of our electorate that doesn't like where our country is," Pollard said. "I have no problem supporting Mr. Trump."

It takes 1,237 delegates to win the Republican nomination. Trump has reached 1,238. With 303 delegates at stake in five state primaries on June 7, Trump will easily pad his total, avoiding a contested convention in Cleveland. . . .

Associated Press

It is insignificant but still interesting that against 16 other candidates he was able to clinch his party's nomination while Hillary has not technically yet clinched hers.

Yep. That tells you that the Dems have two capable candidates out of four who ran. And the GOP has Trump.

That's got to sting a little.

Well fox I do not think this has been a good week for trump. He actually is feeding into the dem portrayal of him. But these have all been unforced errors. Hilary is the supremely flawed candidate and is a wounded animal. She makes her own bad press so why trump seems to be shooting himself in the foot I don't know. What he does need to do is stop thinking about himself and playing into this thin skinned thing and get back to the very reason he entered the race, to make America great again. His comments need to all be based on country and not on him personally. His attacks on the press are good but he fails to see that the press is playing him right into the corner they want him in. He only has to tweak his message a little bit to right the ship, but he needs to understand,this,is not about Donald trump, it is about saving our country.

Well fox I do not think this has been a good week for trump. He actually is feeding into the dem portrayal of him. But these have all been unforced errors. Hilary is the supremely flawed candidate and is a wounded animal. She makes her own bad press so why trump seems to be shooting himself in the foot I don't know. What he does need to do is stop thinking about himself and playing into this thin skinned thing and get back to the very reason he entered the race, to make America great again. His comments need to all be based on country and not on him personally. His attacks on the press are good but he fails to see that the press is playing him right into the corner they want him in. He only has to tweak his message a little bit to right the ship, but he needs to understand,this,is not about Donald trump, it is about saving our country.

Well we'll see. His intentional lack of political correctness IMO has been intentional to keep himself on the front pages. And he has angered both the left and the right with it, but he is still on the front pages. We'll see if his strategy to be the politically incorrect, unconventional, but honest candidate works. I think the turn out on Tueday may be a good clue as to whether he has significantly hurt himself.

Forum List

Back