The 1960s are overrated.

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Born in 1955, I was completely aware of what went on inthis country in the sixties, especially the latter half.

Many things were promised, few delivered. Lots of bull shit propaganda flying around then that has been proven to be untrue.

I first experienced this back during that time. The popular saying of the time was "Do your own thing." But just as we see today, it really meant do what we say. If you didn't have long hair, didn't smoke pot, and wanted the American Dream of a job a house and a family you were shunned. Do your own thing as long as it was the same thing we were doing.

I remember being told by the feminist movement back then that if women were allowed to be equals, that if women ran companies and corporations, none of the corruption, greed, or "good ole boy" preferential treatment would be happening. Well it took many years for me to see it but I now work in the medical profession, a profession dominated by women from top to bottom. Women are just as corrupt, just as greedy, just as incompetent, and even more click-ish, unfair, and they tend to make decisions based on mood at the time. Not all of course but there is no difference between women and men in management positions. As the father of 5 girls, I'm all about equal treatment, Title 9 etc., but what I was told in the sixties by the feminists was a lie.

Oh, you can point to some good things, like the civil rights movement, but the decade was way over rated.

"free sex" was a disaster, also a lie btw, drug use did not enhance anything, and the Beatles music sucked ass.

Born in 1955, I was completely aware of what went on inthis country in the sixties, especially the latter half.

Many things were promised, few delivered. Lots of bull shit propaganda flying around then that has been proven to be untrue.

I first experienced this back during that time. The popular saying of the time was "Do your own thing." But just as we see today, it really meant do what we say. If you didn't have long hair, didn't smoke pot, and wanted the American Dream of a job a house and a family you were shunned. Do your own thing as long as it was the same thing we were doing.

I remember being told by the feminist movement back then that if women were allowed to be equals, that if women ran companies and corporations, none of the corruption, greed, or "good ole boy" preferential treatment would be happening. Well it took many years for me to see it but I now work in the medical profession, a profession dominated by women from top to bottom. Women are just as corrupt, just as greedy, just as incompetent, and even more click-ish, unfair, and they tend to make decisions based on mood at the time. Not all of course but there is no difference between women and men in management positions. As the father of 5 girls, I'm all about equal treatment, Title 9 etc., but what I was told in the sixties by the feminists was a lie.

And women are still getting paid less...

Not sure I believe that really. I've been lied to so often and for so long that I don't believe anything I hear along those lines.

Not sure I believe that really. I've been lied to so often and for so long that I don't believe anything I hear along those lines.

I can't help it if you watch Fox News. If you don't like being lied to, turn the channel.

I can't help it if you watch Fox News. If you don't like being lied to, turn the channel.

You were doing fine. We were having a discussion, now you just went into full idiot mode. I don't watch FOX moron so go troll someplace else.

Hold up there pard, overrated may be going a bit far...
BarracudaPics023.jpg

07bd956bb481b6b19ee90633c3ff387c.jpg

Oh, you can point to some good things, like the civil rights movement, but the decade was way over rated.

"free sex" was a disaster, also a lie btw, drug use did not enhance anything, and the Beatles music sucked ass.

Total albums sold, 2,303,500,000. Boy, they must suck.

You already proved yourself to be not worth the trouble arguing with but I'll give you one last chance. Record sales don't mean shit, there are a whole lot of people with bad taste.

Total albums sold, 2,303,500,000. Boy, they must suck.

You already proved yourself to be not worth the trouble arguing with but I'll give you one last chance. Record sales don't mean shit, there are a whole lot of people with bad taste.

You just keep telling yourself that.

I was in college and graduate school in the 60's. I always felt looking back that most everyone had it all wrong; eras do not conform to convenient decades. What we think of as "the 50's" a la "Happy Days" was really 1954--1964 for most of the country. The Korean War was over, everybody liked Ike, rock & roll took off, most white folks tried to act like the Cleavers, and the major developing conflict was civil rights, which lots of people were able to just ignore.

What changed was the Kennedy assassination, the development of a youth culture, a political sea change in the "Southern strategy", and of course the Vietnam War. So the 60's really lasted about 1965--1973. I really don't think that many people today; right, left, or indifferent; born after the Kennedy assassination have much understanding of how swift and profound the changes were. "Flower power" lasted about three years in San Francisco and never happened at all in most of the country. Race riots switched from whites burning down black neighborhoods and lynchings to blacks burning down black neighborhoods in the space of a decade.

I think we are still working out the implications of these changes, and not doing a very good job of it. Most of the promise and enthusiasm of 1958--1965 has gone unrecognized and been replaced by a strange denial of what America has become. I have no illusion about the "good old days" which never really existed as either right or left wish to paint them, but we have not resolved or made much progress on the issues we confronted a half century ago, and we have added some even darker and more entrenched problems.

In 1969, you were 14 years old.

Your groovy sixties were made up of a very small (in comparison to the rest of the country) group of mostly middle class white boys.

Your feminists were predominantly middle to upper class white women in college.

There was no more of a free love movement at that time that hadn't been a feature of prior decades.

The issues aren't resolved because the issues are not addressed. They do make for a large CD collection though because nostalgia sells.

I can't stand the Beatles.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back