Thanksgiving Ideas!

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by random3434, Nov 15, 2008.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
  2. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,070
    I love this thread.

I must say holidays were stressful to me, but I'm learning to scale things down so I can have some fun too.

My favorite turkey is an unstuffed brined turkey. I like my stuffing to be not so savory with chestnuts in them.

I've gotten wows from my pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin bread.

This year, one of my relatives will be bringing up a smoked turkey. He will also be making his heart attack crab bisque, but what the heck, once a year.

This is my second favorite holiday next to Christmas.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    My daughter wants to try a "Tofurkey" this Thanksgiving. We are both vegetarians, but even THAT sounds gross to me!

My brother (who has about 40-50 at his house for Thanksgiving) said he would wrap up some wet newspapers and cook them for her, it would taste the same. :lol:

There are a lot of good non-meat options at Thanksgiving for us, we pig out on all the munchies, the side dishes, and of course, the DESERTS! :D

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Turkey I could probably veg out on, but no turkey gravy on my mashed potatos?

That's just cruel.

6. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I am wondering, do you American types not think that the holiday season in America goes on a bit to long, with thanksgiving and then Christmas so soon after.I would be sick of the sight of Turkey.We only have one per year.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't eat much meat anymore, but not giving up Turkey for Thanksgiving. Actually would probably eat turkey often, if not such a hassle to cook. Those little turkey breast, are shot full of sodium solution, which is a no-no with high blood pressure. I have to have fresh, no fillers.

8. Dis

Dis Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I do turkey for Thankgiving because I "have" to. I don't even care for it much. I'd prefer ham for Thanksgiving, and a roast for Christmas.

New Years is filet and lobster, tho. :D

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,070
    I'm hosting two dinners at my house. One right after the other. The kids like turkey because they expect it. One night we'll have the turkey, the other night I'll be making Emeril Lagassi's Passover Brisket.

One man told he that he's had dreams about the brisket after having it once at my house!

Sadly, my husband is not into food. I could make the same thing every day and he wouldn't care.

10. Grismonda

Grismonda BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I lived in Berlin for a short time...and during the Christmas, New Year season. We were invited to Christmas dinner. The host prepared lobster. It was interesting and invitingly different from the usual turkey affair.

I say, just cook what you want. If you want to bake a ham...go for it!

Turkey is rather easy to prepare, but what I hate is the disposing of that disgusting carcass. All the meat has to be sliced off, and stored, quickly after preparation. Sometimes, that is a pain in the arse....