Why are people in America so obsessed with (crappy) Mexican food?

José

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Let's take tacos for example:

What's so damn special about a pancake rolled around meat and cheese?

Best fajitas I ever had was/were (I don't speak Spanish) in a Mexican family restaurant in McAllen, Texas. I had an excellent meal in a Mexican family restaurant called Luna's in Eureka, California. I remember a very nice Mexican restaurant in Flagstaff, Arizona, had to ask for a doggy bag, big serves. I've also had excellent Mexican food in Toronto, Canada. It's only been so-so where I live but what the hell. But you know, I've never actually dined in Mexico itself. Weird eh?

Diuretic...

The problem is you can't make shitty food taste good.

The best Mexican restaurant in the world still sells the (somewhat) crappy Mexican dishes.

Why are people in America so obsessed with (crappy) Mexican food?

Apparently you are unfamiliar with Yankee food.

Were you, you'd realize why even bad Mexican food seems special.

José;891682 said:

Oh. You're back.

José;891697 said:
Diuretic...

The best Mexican restaurant in the world still sells the (somewhat) crappy Mexican dishes.

Okay, I like crappy dishes. I never said I was a connoisseur. Heck I'm Australian, as long as there's cold beer all's good!

I'm not much into fast food, particularly Taco Bell, but Mexican food is big in my house. Only a Philistine would make that kind of comment about any type of cuisine.

It's healthy and tacos and fajitas lend themselves to personalization. I put out an assortment of vegetables and the kids love making their own tacos. I make the guacamole and put out cooked seasoned ground beef, sliced olives, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes, cut corn, beans...I imagine you can make one up with just fruit, but I haven't tried that one yet.

I judge a Mexican restaurant by how good the jalapeno peppers taste.

Many people think the hotter the better.

That's insane. If the taste buds in your tongue are burnt up. You can't taste the food.

A great jalapeno pepper is hot. Yet flavorful, and adds to the Mexican food dinning experiance.

José;891682 said:

are you kidding me? if you could figure out a way to add bacon and bbq sauce to pancakes wrapped around meat and cheese you'd have a million dollar deep fried seller at any given state fair.

Personally, I never could understand how anyone could eat a fucking fish taco. come on a fucking FISH taco. The rat of the ocean in a taco. YUK.

Last edited:
José;891682 said:

That's like asking:

What's so damn special about meat and cheese between a bun?

Now vegetarian fajitas, there's a meal!

José;891697 said:
Diuretic...

Yes, you can, why do you think Hot Sauce is on every table in a Mexican restaurant lol

Originally posted by Shogun
are you kidding me? if you could figure out a way to add bacon and bbq sauce to pancakes wrapped around meat and cheese you'd have a million dollar deep fried seller at any given state fair.

Personally, I never could understand how anyone could eat a fucking fish taco. come on a fucking FISH taco. The rat of the ocean in a taco. YUK.

Fill your tacos with caviar for all I care.

It’s still an overrated folded pancake to me.

Originally posted by SkullPilot
Personally, i think Mexican food sucks

Originally posted by GigiBowman
Yes, you can, why do you think Hot Sauce is on every table in a Mexican restaurant lol

There is still hope for America :D

José;891682 said:

I guess you've never heard of pigs in a blanket. Granted some don't have cheese in them, but have at least syrup on top. But the ones made with biscuits have cheese!!

José;892983 said:
Fill your tacos with caviar for all I care.

It’s still an overrated folded pancake to me.

Perhaps the problem is that you can't tell the difference between a pancake and a tortilla.

Who ever said that food had to be complicated to taste good?

There's some really good authentic mexican joints in this country.

We have one close by called Rojo's, and it's the best I've ever eaten.

Forum List

Back