Thanks Federal Government for continuing to "do nothing" !

Still waiting for some drooling leftie to hand me my ass on a plate by providing one single shred of evidence that BP need to be 'made' to pay. Just one short quote from a senior manager at BP even suggesting that they MIGHT not pay would be fine. Just as long as it's not open to interpretation - a nice, clear statement that suggests they won't pay.

Come on lefties..... You have a great opportunity to stick it to this "right wing whackjob". Cover yourself in glory and probably bump up your rep by proving that BP said they won't or even might not pay. I'm even prepared to accept a 'we might not' or some evidence that their lawyers are looking for an escape hatch from the financial burden. Just ONE quote! Surely, you can find ONE!
Ask Bobby Jindall, he's the one that said it.

I don't give a shit what Bobby said. I want some evidence that BP have even hinted that they wouldn't pay. Otherwise, this whole 'make BP pay' is just ridiculous crap. Simple.

Still waiting for some drooling leftie to hand me my ass on a plate by providing one single shred of evidence that BP need to be 'made' to pay. Just one short quote from a senior manager at BP even suggesting that they MIGHT not pay would be fine. Just as long as it's not open to interpretation - a nice, clear statement that suggests they won't pay.

Come on lefties..... You have a great opportunity to stick it to this "right wing whackjob". Cover yourself in glory and probably bump up your rep by proving that BP said they won't or even might not pay. I'm even prepared to accept a 'we might not' or some evidence that their lawyers are looking for an escape hatch from the financial burden. Just ONE quote! Surely, you can find ONE!

I don't give a shit what Bobby said. I want some evidence that BP have even hinted that they wouldn't pay. Otherwise, this whole 'make BP pay' is just ridiculous crap. Simple.
:rolleyes: You're blaming it on lefties.

:rolleyes: You're blaming it on lefties.

I'm not 'blaming' anyone. I keep being told - by lefties on this forum - that BP MUST be MADE to pay. I want some evidence to back that up. Because, to me (being a reasonably intelligent person).... one only needs to 'make' someone pay if that person is somehow refusing to or trying to find a way not to pay.

You said it. You said that NOT paying the dividend would bankrupt BP, and cause all the big corporations to move out of the US. And you've got nothing to back that up besides your rabid bluster and continous spew of lies.

But maybe I was wrong. Maybe you think the govt should just stand by and do nothing while BP destroys the economy...Oh wait!!!! You're also whining about the feds not doing enough!!!

You complain that the feds aren't doing enough, and that the feds are doing too much

You're just pissed that you're not getting what you want because you lost the election. Get over it!!

How parochial of some of us to think that the problems facing our Gulf States aren't also OUR problems.

From my oil free vantage here in Maine, even I can understand that the good citizens of the Gulf need our help.

And helping them is in fact helping us all.

Seriously, you people who are having enjoying shadenfreude over this disaster are short sighted idiots.

As I recall you leftoid dumb asses were all agog about Katrina. And claiming that Bush was to blame for a man made disaster. That the Governor and the Mayor of New Orleans had nothing what so ever to do with the problems in new Orleans and it was all Bush's fault.

As I recall you were drooling over the prospect of finding dead people floating in the city.

Now as to me, I happen to believe the Government should have been engaged in this disaster from the start and that Obama should not have just ignored it for over a month before saying or doing anything at all.

I believe he failed us as a President by simply pretending it was not there for that month.

Good luck with your berms. I have my doubts that they will do much and may in fact do more harm.

But why is Louisiana being treated as more special than the rest of the Gulf states? Why not build berms around the entire rim of the gulf?

Why do you think the berms wouldn't help and may even cause more harm?
Environmentalists and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — as well as BP — fear even temporary berms could mess with natural tidal flows as well as the integrity of naturally existing barrier islands. There are also questions about how well they hold up in storms, and about the effects of the massive dredging of ocean-floor sand required to construct them.

Gulf Oil Spill: Can Sand Berms Save the Louisiana Coast? - TIME

Mainly I think it's just a waste of money and a feel good sop for LA. Even if successful it will only push the oil elsewhere.

What's wrong you can't think for yourself? Oh that's right, that wasn't your thoughts in the first place.

How parochial of some of us to think that the problems facing our Gulf States aren't also OUR problems.

From my oil free vantage here in Maine, even I can understand that the good citizens of the Gulf need our help.

Seriously, you people who are having enjoying shadenfreude over this disaster are short sighted idiots.

As I recall you leftoid dumb asses were all agog about Katrina. And claiming that Bush was to blame for a man made disaster. That the Governor and the Mayor of New Orleans had nothing what so ever to do with the problems in new Orleans and it was all Bush's fault.

As I recall you were drooling over the prospect of finding dead people floating in the city.

Now as to me, I happen to believe the Government should have been engaged in this disaster from the start and that Obama should not have just ignored it for over a month before saying or doing anything at all.

I believe he failed us as a President by simply pretending it was not there for that month.

You need to have your memory checked. No blamed bush for katrina and no one called it a man made disaster. And no one said that the gov and the mayor had no blame.

Also, the feds were involved from the very beginning. The Coast Guard arrived at the scene less than 3 hours after the explosion. Three hours after Katrina hit NO, bush was playing his guitar and the feds were nowhere in sight.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but it's not a credible source. However, in the hopes that you're not just repeating talking points I'll ask, "What should Obama have done that he didn't do?"

I'm also hoping your answer is different than the only one I've so far (he should have put on a pair of boots, and gone to LA to have his picture taken on an oily beach..seriously, this is what the wingnut was upset about)

Gee...that only took 5 weeks to accomplish...now PLEASE
YouTube - LEAVE BARACK ALONE!

More like one day.

Federal officials had approved six berms totaling 45 miles last week, but they said BP would have to pay for only one 2-mile-long berm to test the new containment strategy.

But Jindal and several local officials argued that BP should have to pay for all six berms Tuesday during a meeting with Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, who is overseeing the federal response to the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Allen promised he would make a recommendation to President Barack Obama within 24 hours, and Jindal got word of the president's decision with four minutes to spare Wednesday afternoon, when an aide whispered in his ear during a news conference in Venice.

LMAO. Your OP complains that the feds have done nothing and yet you jump to Obama's defense when confronted with the fact that he's done nothing. I mean really, what's your point?

You said it. You said that NOT paying the dividend would bankrupt BP, and cause all the big corporations to move out of the US. And you've got nothing to back that up besides your rabid bluster and continous spew of lies.

No I didn't. Idiot.

But maybe I was wrong. Maybe you think the govt should just stand by and do nothing while BP destroys the economy...Oh wait!!!! You're also whining about the feds not doing enough!!!

No, I'm not. Moron.

You complain that the feds aren't doing enough, and that the feds are doing too much

No I didn't. Fool.

You're just pissed that you're not getting what you want because you lost the election. Get over it!!

Nope. I'm not a Republican. Nor am I a Democrat. Cretin.

In conclusion... You are delusional. I have not said any of the things you claim. Unless you can back up your claims - by quoting me - you may consider this argument over. I win, you lose.

Why do you think the berms wouldn't help and may even cause more harm?
Environmentalists and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers — as well as BP — fear even temporary berms could mess with natural tidal flows as well as the integrity of naturally existing barrier islands. There are also questions about how well they hold up in storms, and about the effects of the massive dredging of ocean-floor sand required to construct them.
Gulf Oil Spill: Can Sand Berms Save the Louisiana Coast? - TIME

Mainly I think it's just a waste of money and a feel good sop for LA. Even if successful it will only push the oil elsewhere.

What's wrong you can't think for yourself? Oh that's right, that wasn't your thoughts in the first place.
:rolleyes:

Fuck off, asswipe.

You need to have your memory checked. No blamed bush for katrina and no one called it a man made disaster. And no one said that the gov and the mayor had no blame.

Also, the feds were involved from the very beginning. The Coast Guard arrived at the scene less than 3 hours after the explosion. Three hours after Katrina hit NO, bush was playing his guitar and the feds were nowhere in sight.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but it's not a credible source. However, in the hopes that you're not just repeating talking points I'll ask, "What should Obama have done that he didn't do?"

I'm also hoping your answer is different than the only one I've so far (he should have put on a pair of boots, and gone to LA to have his picture taken on an oily beach..seriously, this is what the wingnut was upset about)

Nice attempt at trying to re-write history .... The STATE GOVERNOR IS IN CHARGE OF THE STATE IN DISTRESS. Bush had to call Blanco several times and ask her what the fuck is going on with the evac before the storm hit. There were supplies pre-staged at several key points but when the levees broke the roads became impassable....so no aid could get to people WHO WERE NEVER EVACUATED BY THE STATE GOVERNOR AND NAGIN.

Now with this incident.....we didn't see a damn thing happening for nearly 1 month...the USCG was sailing around not doing much of anything. Then Obama comes on national TV and says he's been in charge from day 1 and accepts full responsibility for his inaction....then we have Salazar saying the governments got it's boot on the neck of BP and that WE ARE IN CHARGE!!! yet nothing was done to interdict the oil heading for the coastal marshes etc.....can Obama be in all places at once and know exactly what's needed and where it's needed? No. So don't hold Bush to a different standard than Obama. You and that practice is DISHONEST....now take the criticism like a man and SUCK IT UP!!!!:lol:

Nice attempt at trying to re-write history .... The STATE GOVERNOR IS IN CHARGE OF THE STATE IN DISTRESS. Bush had to call Blanco several times and ask her what the fuck is going on with the evac before the storm hit. There were supplies pre-staged at several key points but when the levees broke the roads became impassable....so no aid could get to people WHO WERE NEVER EVACUATED BY THE STATE GOVERNOR AND NAGIN.

You're the one who is re-writing history. I simply stated the facts that No blamed bush for katrina and no one called it a man made disaster. And no one said that the gov and the mayor had no blame. Also, the feds were involved from the very beginning.

Those are all facts

Another fact - bush didn't get involved until one of his aides compiled videotape from TV news reports showing what was going on in NO. This was several days after Katrina hit.

Now with this incident.....we didn't see a damn thing happening for nearly 1 month...the USCG was sailing around not doing much of anything.

If you didn't lie, you'd have nothing to say. The Coast Guard was at the scene of the xplosion less than 3 hours after the explosion

Then Obama comes on national TV and says he's been in charge from day 1 and accepts full responsibility for his inaction....then we have Salazar saying the governments got it's boot on the neck of BP and that WE ARE IN CHARGE!!! yet nothing was done to interdict the oil heading for the coastal marshes etc.....

If you didn't lie, you'd have nothing to say. I have already posted a long list of the actions Obama has taken. You've read it, so why pretend to be ignorant (or is not an act)?

can Obama be in all places at once and know exactly what's needed and where it's needed? No. So don't hold Bush to a different standard than Obama. You and that practice is DISHONEST....now take the criticism like a man and SUCK IT UP!!!!:lol:

I have the same standard for all politicians and it is based on what they do and do not do. The record is clear; bush dithered for days after Katrina hit while Obama responded immediately to the BP leak.

Here's what bush was doing the day Kartrina hit NO

Think Progress KATRINA TIMELINE

11AM CDT — BUSH VISITS ARIZONA RESORT TO PROMOTE MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT: “This new bill I signed says, if you’re a senior and you like the way things are today, you’re in good shape, don’t change. But, by the way, there’s a lot of different options for you. And we’re here to talk about what that means to our seniors.” [White House]
4:30PM CDT — BUSH TRAVELS TO CALIFORNIA SENIOR CENTER TO DISCUSS MEDICARE DRUG BENEFIT: “We’ve got some folks up here who are concerned about their Social Security or Medicare. Joan Geist is with us. … I could tell — she was looking at me when I first walked in the room to meet her, she was wondering whether or not old George W. is going to take away her Social Security check.” [White House]
8PM CDT — RUMSFELD ATTENDS SAN DIEGO PADRES BASEBALL GAME: Rumsfeld “joined Padres President John Moores in the owner’s box…at Petco Park.” [Editor & Publisher]
8PM CDT — GOV. BLANCO AGAIN REQUESTS ASSISTANCE FROM BUSH: “Mr. President, we need your help. We need everything you’ve got.” [Newsweek]
LATE PM — BUSH GOES TO BED WITHOUT ACTING ON BLANCO’S REQUESTS [Newsweek]

Here are some of the Fed and bush "responses" to Katrina on the day after it hit NO

11AM CDT — BUSH SPEAKS ON IRAQ AT NAVAL BASE CORONADO [White House]
MIDDAY — CHERTOFF CLAIMS HE FINALLY BECOMES AWARE THAT LEVEE HAS FAILED: “It was on Tuesday that the levee–may have been overnight Monday to Tuesday–that the levee started to break. And it was midday Tuesday that I became aware of the fact that there was no possibility of plugging the gap and that essentially the lake was going to start to drain into the city.” But later reports note that the Bush administration learned of the levee breach on Aug. 29. [Meet the Press, 9/4/05; AP]
PENTAGON CLAIMS THERE ARE ENOUGH NATIONAL GUARD TROOPS IN REGION: “Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita said the states have adequate National Guard units to handle the hurricane needs.” [WWL-TV]
MASS LOOTING REPORTED, SECURITY SHORTAGE CITED: “The looting is out of control. The French Quarter has been attacked,” Councilwoman Jackie Clarkson said. “We’re using exhausted, scarce police to control looting when they should be used for search and rescue while we still have people on rooftops.” [AP]
U.S.S. BATAAN SITS OFF SHORE, VIRTUALLY UNUSED: “The USS Bataan, a 844-foot ship designed to dispatch Marines in amphibious assaults, has helicopters, doctors, hospital beds, food and water. It also can make its own water, up to 100,000 gallons a day. And it just happened to be in the Gulf of Mexico when Katrina came roaring ashore. The Bataan rode out the storm and then followed it toward shore, awaiting relief orders. Helicopter pilots flying from its deck were some of the first to begin plucking stranded New Orleans residents. But now the Bataan’s hospital facilities, including six operating rooms and beds for 600 patients, are empty.” [Chicago Tribune]

So people were dying and looting in NO, and the Navy has a ship just sitting there and Chertoff admits that he is just learning about the levees being breached. The White House knew about it but they didn't tell the guy in charge of security and they left a ship just floating around doing nothing and the Pentagon says they've already sent enough NG members to NO. And bush is giving a speech about Iraq.

But, later in the day it gets even better!!

2PM CDT — PRESIDENT BUSH PLAYS GUITAR WITH COUNTRY SINGER MARK WILLIS [AP]
BUSH RETURNS TO CRAWFORD FOR FINAL NIGHT OF VACATION [AP]

People are dying, and bush plays his guitar. Now let's look at bushs wonderful response two days after Katrina hit:

1:45AM CDT — FEMA REQUESTS AMBULANCES THAT DO NOT EXIST: “Almost 18 hours later, [FEMA] canceled the request for the ambulances because it turned out, as one FEMA employee put it, ‘the DOT doesn’t do ambulances.’” [Wall Street Journal]
11:20 AM CDT — FEMA STAFF WARNED BROWN THAT PEOPLE WERE DYING AT THE SUPERDOME: Three hours later, Brown’s press secretary wrote to colleagues complaining that Brown needed more time scheduled to eat at a restaurant: “He needs much more that (sic) 20 or 30 minutes. We now have traffic to encounter to go to and from a location of his choise (sic), followed by wait service from the restaurant staff, eating, etc. Thank you.” [AP]

FEMA requests ambulances that don't exist, and Heck-of-a-good-job Brownie is worrying about his lunch schedule while people die.

But it gets better

PRESIDENT BUSH FINALLY ORGANIZES TASK FORCE TO COORDINATE FEDERAL RESPONSE: Bush says on Tuesday he will “fly to Washington to begin work…with a task force that will coordinate the work of 14 federal agencies involved in the relief effort.” [New York Times, 8/31/05

Two days after the disaster, and bush finally realizes there's a problem. And what does he do....NOTHING but "organize a task force"

CHERTOFF “EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE RESPONSE” OF THE GOVERNMENT: “We are extremely pleased with the response that every element of the federal government, all of our federal partners, have made to this terrible tragedy.” [Department of Homeland Security]
EARLY AM — BLANCO AGAIN TRIES TO REQUEST HELP FROM BUSH: “She was transferred around the White House for a while until she ended up on the phone with Fran Townsend, the president’s Homeland Security adviser, who tried to reassure her but did not have many specifics. Hours later, Blanco called back and insisted on speaking to the president. When he came on the line, the governor recalled, “I just asked him for help, ‘whatever you have’.” She asked for 40,000 troops.” [Newsweek]
4PM CDT — BUSH GIVES FIRST MAJOR ADDRESS ON KATRINA: “Nothing about the president’s demeanor… — which seemed casual to the point of carelessness — suggested that he understood the depth of the current crisis.” [New York Times]
7PM CDT — CONDOLEEZZA RICE TAKES IN A BROADWAY SHOW: “On Wednesday night, Secretary Rice was booed by some audience members at ‘Spamalot!, the Monty Python musical at the Shubert, when the lights went up after the performance.” [New York Post, 9/2/05]
8PM CDT — FEMA DIRECTOR BROWN CLAIMS SURPRISE OVER SIZE OF STORM: “I must say, this storm is much much bigger than anyone expected.” [CNN

Two days of mayhem, and bush officials are still expressing surprise while others go to Broadway

7AM CDT — BUSH CLAIMS NO ONE EXPECTED LEVEES TO BREAK: “I don’t think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees.” However, as former FEMA Director Michael Brown told CNN, “the president knew from our earlier conversations that that was one of my concerns, that the levees could actually breach.” [Situation Room, 3/2/06]
CONDOLEEZZA RICE VISITS U.S. OPEN: “Rice, [in New York] on three days’ vacation to shop and see the U.S. Open, hitting some balls with retired champ Monica Seles at the Indoor Tennis Club at Grand Central.” [New York Post]
STILL NO COMMAND AND CONTROL ESTABLISHED: Terry Ebbert, New Orleans Homeland Security Director: “This is a national emergency. This is a national disgrace. FEMA has been here three days, yet there is no command and control. We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims, but we can’t bail out the city of New Orleans.” [Fox News]
2PM CDT — MAYOR NAGIN ISSUES “DESPERATE SOS” TO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT: “This is a desperate SOS. Right now we are out of resources at the convention centre and don’t anticipate enough buses. We need buses. Currently the convention centre is unsanitary and unsafe and we’re running out of supplies.” [Guardian, 9/2/05]
2PM CDT — MICHAEL BROWN CLAIMS NOT TO HAVE HEARD OF REPORTS OF VIOLENCE: “I’ve had no reports of unrest, if the connotation of the word unrest means that people are beginning to riot, or you know, they’re banging on walls and screaming and hollering or burning tires or whatever. I’ve had no reports of that.” [CNN]

Now it's the third day. The mayor and gov of LA has requested help several times with no response, Brown demonstrates he doesnt know what's going on, and despite his promise the earlier day, bushs' task force is still nowhere to be found.

Three days have passed, and still no coordinated response from the feds for a storm they had ample warning to prepare for. All this suffering, and what does Condi do?

CONDOLEEZZA RICE GOES SHOE SHOPPING: “Just moments ago at the Ferragamo on 5th Avenue, Condoleeza Rice was seen spending several thousands of dollars on some nice, new shoes (we’ve confirmed this, so her new heels will surely get coverage from the WaPo’s Robin Givhan). A fellow shopper, unable to fathom the absurdity of Rice’s timing, went up to the Secretary and reportedly shouted, ‘How dare you shop for shoes while thousands are dying and homeless!’” [Gawker]

And the guy in charge of fixing the mess....He's still getting schooled on what's going on

MICHAEL BROWN FINALLY LEARNS OF EVACUEES IN CONVENTION CENTER: “We learned about that (Thursday), so I have directed that we have all available resources to get that convention center to make sure that they have the food and water and medical care that they need.”

Now it's the fouth day of the disaster, and finally, bush has a plan

ROVE-LED CAMPAIGN TO BLAME LOCAL OFFICIALS BEGINS: “Under the command of President Bush’s two senior political advisers, the White House rolled out a plan…to contain the political damage from the administration’s response to Hurricane Katrina.” President Bush’s comments from the Rose Garden Friday morning formed “the start of this campaign.” [New York Times, 9/5/05

And how about george "What, me worry?" bush?

12PM CDT — BUSH “SATISFIED WITH THE RESPONSE”: “I am satisfied with the response. I am not satisfied with all the results.” [AP]

People are dying, and bush is pleased. But what could we do to make bush really happy. How about telling a lie?

SENIOR BUSH ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL LIES TO WASHINGTON POST, CLAIMS GOV. BLANCO NEVER DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCY: The Post reported in their Sunday edition “As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.” They were forced to issue a correction hours later. [Washington Post, 9/4/05]
9AM CDT — BUSH BLAMES STATE AND LOCAL OFFICIALS: “[T]he magnitude of responding to a crisis over a disaster area that is larger than the size of Great Britain has created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities. The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they need.” [White House, 9/3/05]

Forum List

Back