Texas: Thieves 'with trap door' steal over 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel from family gas station

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
A family-owned gas station in Texas realized they were robbed of over 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel by thieves who used a "trap door."

Jerry Thayil, the manager at Fuqua Express gas station in southwest Houston, told USA TODAY he spotted a 360-gallon diesel fuel discrepancy.

After noticing it again the next day, he watched camera footage and found a pair of minivans that had been suspiciously parked over the inlets for the station’s tanks.

"They have a trap door inside their vehicle which is crazy. They have to have another man inside (the vehicle) to open our fuel tank, stick a hose in there," he told ABC 13.

On the fourth attempt last Friday, Thayil said he chased the van away.

"I didn't want to just let them hit us again and lose another $1,200, $1,300," he told CNN. "We're a family-owned business, so every penny counts around here."

In total, he said the business lost between $5,000 and $6,000 worth of fuel.

Thieves 'with trap door' steal over 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel from family gas station

I hate thieves but I'll tip my hat to the ingenuity involved. ;)

A family-owned gas station in Texas realized they were robbed of over 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel by thieves who used a "trap door."

Jerry Thayil, the manager at Fuqua Express gas station in southwest Houston, told USA TODAY he spotted a 360-gallon diesel fuel discrepancy.

After noticing it again the next day, he watched camera footage and found a pair of minivans that had been suspiciously parked over the inlets for the station’s tanks.

"They have a trap door inside their vehicle which is crazy. They have to have another man inside (the vehicle) to open our fuel tank, stick a hose in there," he told ABC 13.

On the fourth attempt last Friday, Thayil said he chased the van away.

"I didn't want to just let them hit us again and lose another $1,200, $1,300," he told CNN. "We're a family-owned business, so every penny counts around here."

In total, he said the business lost between $5,000 and $6,000 worth of fuel.

Thieves 'with trap door' steal over 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel from family gas station

I hate thieves but I'll tip my hat to the ingenuity involved. ;)
Got to be a better way to steal $5k. Guys this talented could probably make that much legitimately as construction workers.

Got to be a better way to steal $5k. Guys this talented could probably make that much legitimately as construction workers.
Who is to say they are not?....I suspect Mexicans were involved as the practice is used down there quite a bit. The difference being down there they get shot for their trouble.

They bid jobs very close and a rapid spike in fuel (diesel) could really fuck up what they clear on a job.

Forum List

Back