Texas livid over not getting gov't handout :-(

Last edited:
Let me guess. They're putting the shuttle in NY because of a liberal conspiracy?

Maybe because NY has a bigger tourism industry than Houston does?

Maybe Houston is the home to our space program, and there's no good reason as to why they shouldn't be considered?

Sounds to me like this whole thing is going to be done to curry favor with politicians to get their support on legislation.

I personally agree completely, Houston should get the shuttle.

I just think it's pretty stupid to make a conspiracy out of it. There's a pretty simple explanation as to why it's going to NY: Tourism. The Intripid is already one of the biggest federally-owned tourist attractions in NY, this move will raise awareness and funding for NASA, which is clearly what they're trying to do.

If the Intrepid already has a great draw as you say, then adding the shuttle will generate nothing more in revenue.

I appreciate your thinking, but the truth is,it is a very poor decision if revenue is the issue...it makes absolutely no sense.

Wow....the irony...for an administration that wants to spread the wealth....it doesnt seem to want to spread the wealth as it appears to tourism and tourism revenue.

The other places won shuttles. NY won a glider.

Here's the bird that Houston got:

finger99.jpg

Actually, Johnson Space Center had more involvement in our space program than either New York or Los Angeles

Houston got screwed

I really don't care who gets it. Texas probaly should but on the other hand it appears that the state that produced the most Astronauts is..........

New York (unless I miscounted)

Astronaut birthplaces by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once again, who gives a shit where they were born?

What is the one thing they all have in common? NASA. Houston.

Strawman argument.

Maybe Houston is the home to our space program, and there's no good reason as to why they shouldn't be considered?

Sounds to me like this whole thing is going to be done to curry favor with politicians to get their support on legislation.

I just think it's pretty stupid to make a conspiracy out of it. There's a pretty simple explanation as to why it's going to NY: Tourism. The Intripid is already one of the biggest federally-owned tourist attractions in NY, this move will raise awareness and funding for NASA, which is clearly what they're trying to do.

You do realize NY is getting Enterprise, which was a test model with no engines, was never in space, and has its greatest achivement being that it was jettisoned off a 747 and landed sucessfully?

I saw the Enterprise in the Smithsonian.....not impressive

Looks like a shuttle....but you get the feeling you are looking at a model

Actually, Johnson Space Center had more involvement in our space program than either New York or Los Angeles

Houston got screwed

:clap2:

Yes we did.

JSC is practically in my backyard, and the local impact was like a kick to the nuts.
I know several folks tied directly to the shuttle program who felt it was pay back for being in a "red state". Even the ones who voted for him are pissed. They feel that this should have been beyond partisan BS.

Oh well, guess we will have to visit another state to see our local heritage. :doubt:

You do realize NY is getting Enterprise, which was a test model with no engines, was never in space, and has its greatest achivement being that it was jettisoned off a 747 and landed sucessfully?

Not to mention the allure of looking at something that was actually in space.

A moon rock looks like a rock.....but the fact that it is from the moon, people come from all corners of the globe to stare at it for hours.

A moon rock looks like a rock.....but the fact that it is from the moon, people come from all corners of the globe to stare at it for hours.

I've been to both the Smithsonian Air and Space Museums, Cape Canaveral , the Intrepid Air and Space Museum and Johnson Space Center ...none does a better job of describing the space program than the Johnson Space Center

The Intrepid is the worst. Run down ship with jet aircraft and a few space capsules....no context just stuff

Haven't seen the Los Angeles Air Museum

Houston really was a shoe in. Anyone who has been there can attest to it.

I have been lucky enough to have gotten to see the inner workings of the actual Space Center through past jobs, and it is a very aww inspiring place. So to see not one of the shuttles being sent here was simply devastating.

A friend of mine was one of the very elite 747 pilots who carried the shuttle from place to place on its back and he was pissed. Did I mention a life long Democrat? He couldnt believe it.

Guess it goes to show ya.... Is good to be the King :razz:

I've been to both the Smithsonian Air and Space Museums, Cape Canaveral , the Intrepid Air and Space Museum and Johnson Space Center ...none does a better job of describing the space program than the Johnson Space Center

The Intrepid is the worst. Run down ship with jet aircraft and a few space capsules....no context just stuff

Did you see the big rocket when it was outside, or i its new strusture?

It was awesome when it was outside where the scale was staggeringly HUGE!

If I was jettisoned off a 747 and survived, I would consider it an achievement.

Houston got screwed

:clap2:

Yes we did.

JSC is practically in my backyard, and the local impact was like a kick to the nuts.
I know several folks tied directly to the shuttle program who felt it was pay back for being in a "red state". Even the ones who voted for him are pissed. They feel that this should have been beyond partisan BS.

Oh well, guess we will have to visit another state to see our local heritage. :doubt:

That's why no one wonders why Egypt wants thier historical items back.

A kick in the nuts indeed.

I got to pilot one.

Takeoff was intense with the g forces but once we hit zero gravity, my body settled.

Re entry was a rush....we all screamed like we were on a roller coaster.

Our long final was somewhat boring...pretty much controlled by a computer.....but when we went into the short final, I took over the bird...full flaps....flared out ...kept the nose up to save the wear and tear on the front gear.....and last second let it tap to a perfect three pointer.

Then I woke up...looked to my left...and there was my wife...fast asleep.

It was probably 15 years ago...it was outside

I have family in Huntsville AL, Rockett City.

I took a tour there, the lady giving the tour glowed as she showed us everything that they had achieved there.

I was just wondering how tall the list of applications were to give tours of the shuttle, when that came to mind.

One of the shuttles should go to Huntsville, one to Houston, and one to Seattle.

They did all the heavy lifting.

Forum List

Back