Terrorist Killed Legal or Illegal?

How is it a Muslim who comes to our country and kills a threat to their way of thinking a terrorist?

Now it is okay to kill Americans by Americans on foreign soil?

When is it legal for politicans to have Americans killed on American soil, if deemed a threat?

This should have been a Seal Team snatch and grab. He resists, then you can terminate.

The Muslims who came here to attack us openly declared war against us. They came here under false pretenses, hiding among us to do us harm. I believe al-Awlaki was part of that organization participating in ongoing operations against us. I hope his killing averts future attacks on Americans.

This guy was an illegal bellegerent operating illegally in a foriegn country that had delclared him a criminal, wanted dead or alive.

I have nothing on the reasons why they choose a drone attack, only speculation.

I am in the process of giving a bit more thought to the musing of Oddball on this topic.

But for the time being, I am content that it is ok to snuff an enemy in time of war.

It's a grey area to be sure. I mean this specific case, an American Born, US citizen. Definitely not something you want to take lightly or do regularly.

However when you think about it, He was at war with this country. We have precedent for that, The Union Killed Thousands of "US Citizens" during the civil war on the Battle Field. Seems to me when you take up arms against your country, You give up Citizenship in that country.

I do believe we made a good faith effort to Catch this guy alive and bring him to Trail, However we can not let a Citizen use his rights as a Citizen to thwart our efforts to protect ourselves from him. Had we passed on this chance to take him out, then he helped carry our attacks that killed US Citizens, we would feel rather stupid that we let American Citizens die for fear of Trampling the Rights of 1 Citizen who has chosen to make war Upon us.

G.W. Bush proclaimed we had a War on Terror. There is no due process in a time of war. We had no obligation to capture and bring to trial any American citizen who had was acting in concert with other terrorists.

Last edited:
I was murging 3 threads and tried to delete just one duplicate post from it and the whole thread disappeared. My most humble apolgies.
Having said that....carry on....

Fuck, you were serious.

Fortunately, I have magic powers.

This should go down as one of the saddest days in American history. Today the US government unilaterally killed American citizens simply because they disagreed with the philosophy of the government. I wonder what happened to due process.

Rep. C. A. “Dutch” Ruppersberger D-Md.), the ranking member on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, just spoke to reporters about the killing of Anwar al-Aulaqi:
“This is a great day for America, this is probably the second biggest blow to al-Qaeda since the killing of Osama bin Laden,” Ruppersberger said.

Ruppersberger: al-Aulaqi killing a ‘great day for America’ - Maryland Politics - The Washington Post

Nice that some people are asking questions.

Responding to the killing in Yemen of AnWar al-Awlaki an American citizen, presidential candidate Gary Johnson released a statement this morning pointing out that the attack may be the first time a U.S. citizen has been specifically targeted for death in the “War on Terror”, and raises questions about American citizens’ rights to due process under the law.

Johnson said, “Let there be no doubt. We have to be vigilant, we have to protect the U.S. and U. S. citizens from terrorist attacks, and we have to aggressively pursue those who would do us harm. At the same time we cannot allow the War on Terror to diminish our steadfast adherence to the notion of due process for American citizens. The protections under the Constitution for those accused of crimes do not just apply to people we like — they apply to everyone, including a terrorist like al-Awlaki. It is a question of due process for American citizens.”

Gary Johnson: Killing of U.S. citizen raises questions

"I don't think that's a good way to deal with our problems," Paul told reporters. "Al-Awlaki was born here; he is an American citizen. He was never tried or charged for any crimes. No one knows if he killed anybody. We know he might have been associated with the underwear bomber. But if the American people accept this blindly and casually that we now have an accepted practice of the president assassinating people who he thinks are bad guys, I think it's sad.
"I think what would people have said about Timothy McVeigh? We didn't assassinate him, who we were pretty certain that he had done it. Went and put through the courts then executed him. To start assassinating American citizens without charges, we should think very seriously about this."

Ron Paul Condemns Al-Awlaki's Killing : The Two-Way : NPR

Watch this thread to find out who the real liberals are.

Al-Ewoki could have had an exploding vest on. I don't want our seals getting that close to the incredible exploding man. Maybe preditor drone was a bit overkill. I would have used a remote controlled bomb disposal droid with an M16 hardwired.

BB: Duck season.
DD: Rabbit season.
BB: Duck seaon.
BB.. Rabbit season.
DD: Duck season.

BB: <points at Daffy>
Boom!

How ,many posters do we recall seeing from the westerns in movies, imprinted, "WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE".... Was that not not just an opportunity for gunslingers and bounty hunters to' make a killing (pun intended)' on some hapless criminal who ran afoul of the law without a conviction in a court of law?

How ,many posters do we recall seeing from the westerns in movies, imprinted, "WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE".... Was that not not just an opportunity for gunslingers and bounty hunters to' make a killing (pun intended)' on some hapless criminal who ran afoul of the law without a conviction in a court of law?

Psst!

Movies are not real. They can use artistic license.

Psst!

C'mon... some of them tell it like it was, didn't they?

G.W. Bush proclaimed we had a War on Terror. There is no due process in a time of war. We had no obligation to capture and bring to trial any American citizen who had was acting in concert with other terrorists.

Al Qeada declared war on us and we should limit our offensive to action against targets that reduce the threat. The rhetoical proclamation.....nevermind this ain't about that.

Good Job and Kudos to all involved.

Psst!

C'mon... some of them tell it like it was, didn't they?

Not sure, but I can recheck Back to the Future II if it helps.

BB: Duck seaon.
BB.. Rabbit season.
DD: Duck season.

BB: <points at Daffy>
Boom!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u14T5wzicqw]bugs and daffy in duck season - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back