Terrible roughing call

Problem with that is, it only might change the penalty. The penalty is not the big problem. It is defenders deliberately injuring top quarterbacks (ex. Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes) and knocking them out for the season. Plenty of teams would easily be willing to take a pass roughing penalty, in exchange for removing a division rival team's top QB, and thereby gaining 2 extra wins - often enough to get into the playoffs.
The rule as it stands doesn’t change that and yet it’s not happening. Sp youre fear is completely unfounded

Fe4KLBracAASxCP.jpg

The rule as it stands doesn’t change that and yet it’s not happening. Sp youre fear is completely unfounded
1. Of course, my fear is well-founded, and I explained it well enough for any intelligent person to understand;
2. Please state your objection again in clear English, such that intelligent people could understand what you're talking about.
The rule as it stands doesn't change WHAT ?.... and WHAT is not happening ?

IOW...what the hell are you talking about ?

1. Of course, my fear is well-founded, and I explained it well enough for any intelligent person to understand;
2. Please state your objection again in clear English, such that intelligent people could understand what you're talking about.
The rule as it stands doesn't change WHAT ?.... and WHAT is not happening ?

IOW...what the hell are you talking about ?
How many starting QBs have been intentionally knocked out of games in the last 10 years? Your fear is unfounded precisely because it never happens.

How many starting QBs have been intentionally knocked out of games in the last 10 years? Your fear is unfounded precisely because it never happens.
And I suppose you think you have an answer to that question that even remotely approaches correct ? I suppose you don't.

My fear is well-founded, because it happens all the time,....and even just the capability of it happening is enough reason to make a rule change.

And as I said before, defenders with 2 hands on a quarterback, is almost always a sack anyway, so the 2 hands rule wouldn't change anything qualitatively in the game, except to prevent winning games by knocking out quarterbacks.

Maybe this is too deep for you.

Last edited:
And I suppose you think you have an answer to that question that even remotely approaches correct ? I suppose you don't.

My fear is well-founded, because it happens all the time,....and even just the capability of it happening is enough reason to make a rule change.

And as I said before, defenders with 2 hands on a quarterback, is almost always a sack anyway, so the 2 hands rule wouldn't change anything qualitatively in the game, except to prevent winning games by knocking out quarterbacks.

Maybe this is too deep for you.

Zero the answer is Zero.

Name one

Zero the answer is Zero.

Name one
The answer is hundreds. They don't have a list for it. And name one ? Why ? I don't have to name any. We see it happen all the time.

And what is the point of having QBs being tackled ? 2 hands on them is the same thing. When a defender gets 2 hands on a QB, he's as good as down right there. No need to risk injury to the QB, and no need to set up a system of winning games, and making it into playoffs by eliminating QBs.

The answer is hundreds. They don't have a list for it. And name one ? Why ? I don't have to name any. We see it happen all the time.

And what is the point of having QBs being tackled ? 2 hands on them is the same thing. When a defender gets 2 hands on a QB, he's as good as down right there. No need to risk injury to the QB, and no need to set up a system of winning games, and making it into playoffs by eliminating QBs.
There have been 100's of starting QB's injured on purpose in the NFL over the last 10 years? Im willing to bet there havent been 100 different starting QB's in the NFL total over the last 10 years. There have only ever been 721 QB's to ever start an nfl game in the history of the NFL (superbowl era). You think 100's have been intentionally injured in just the last 10 years?

Who's the last QB in the NFL who was intentionally injured? If there are 100's it should be simple to name a single one.

Lamar Jackson, John Elway, Steve Young, Ben Rothlisberger, etc would all very much disagree with you on this subject.

You could not be more wrong.

Quarterbacks who get sacked and taken to the ground often fumble the ball. Those fumbles are often recovered by the defense.

That most definitely changes the game...

There have been 100's of starting QB's injured on purpose in the NFL over the last 10 years? Im willing to bet there havent been 100 different starting QB's in the NFL total over the last 10 years. There have only ever been 721 QB's to ever start an nfl game in the history of the NFL (superbowl era). You think 100's have been intentionally injured in just the last 10 years?

Who's the last QB in the NFL who was intentionally injured? If there are 100's it should be simple to name a single one.
So you think there are no defenders who intentionally sack QBs to injure them ? That's what we're talking about.

Lamar Jackson, John Elway, Steve Young, Ben Rothlisberger, etc would all very much disagree with you on this subject.
I doubt that. And I don't care who disagrees with me. There just is no need to have undeserving teams make the playoffs by knocking opposing QBs out of games.

Plus, do we really want to subject the QBs to serious, needless injuries ? This debate is a slam dunk.

You could not be more wrong.

Quarterbacks who get sacked and taken to the ground often fumble the ball. Those fumbles are often recovered by the defense.

That most definitely changes the game...
But they get sacked and fumble because their attention is to a different part of the game - their receivers downfield.

It's lucky some of these QBs haven't been killed. I'll bet that would change the game.

And a few fumbles are not nearly as major as QBs leaving teams, and opposing teams winning games against 2nd string QBs.

And a few fumbles are not nearly as major as QBs leaving teams

I made no such argument.

I was responding directly to your suggestion that basically adopting a "two hand touch" rule would have no real impact on the game. I pointed out a very common scenario in which such a rule change could definitely have an impact...

I made no such argument.

I was responding directly to your suggestion that basically adopting a "two hand touch" rule would have no real impact on the game. I pointed out a very common scenario in which such a rule change could definitely have an impact...
You pointed out a MINOR impact. The MAJOR impact is defenders knocking top QBs out of games, and knocking those teams out of the playoffs, thereby putting their teams IN the playoffs. Total ruination of football.

And it seems to be increasing. If it gets any worse, I'll quit watching football entirely. I won't be alone.

WE fans need to step up and stop this from happening. We're in this together.

You pointed out a MINOR impact.

A minor impact?

In the 2021 season the top 26 guys who fumbles the ball were all quarterbacks.

NFL Football Player Stats & Stats Leaders - Fumbles

They fumbled a total of 198 times that season.

That's hardly a minor impact...

The MAJOR impact is defenders knocking top QBs out of games, and knocking those teams out of the playoffs, thereby putting their teams IN the playoffs. Total ruination of football.

It's not the "ruination of football", it's "football".

Getting hit is part of the game; always has been. That's one of the reason an average ticket price for an NFL game is over $100. They have to be that expensive so the owners can pay those incredibly huge salaries. Patrick Mahomes makes $45,000,000 a year. Think about that. $45 large to play a game. That's insane.

In addition to his salary, Matthew Stafford got $60,000,000 as a signing bonus.

If I'm paying over $100 for a ticket to a football game, I don't want to see a bunch of wimps playing two-hand touch. The high ticket prices are paying the salaries. The effort the players put out should be commensurate with the extravagant salaries they get.

Seriously, if they don't like getting hit, they shouldn't be football players...

And it seems to be increasing. If it gets any worse, I'll quit watching football entirely. I won't be alone.

Well, I don't think they'll care if you walk. Also, I don't think there will be the mass exodus you seem to suggest. To the average football fan, "getting worse" is when rules changes take the excitement out of the game. Fans won't watch a bunch of pussies play football, but it seems as though that's exactly who you want to see playing the game...

WE fans need to step up and stop this from happening. We're in this together.

No, we're not. Whatever gave you that idea?

Ask 100 people if they would rather allow for Quarterbacks to get tackled or if they'd settle for your "two hand touch" rule and I think you'll find that most people share my opinion as opposed to yours...

So you think there are no defenders who intentionally sack QBs to injure them ? That's what we're talking about.

No I do not think defenders sack QBs with the express intent to injure them. And you’ve offered zero proof that they do.

I doubt that. And I don't care who disagrees with me. There just is no need to have undeserving teams make the playoffs by knocking opposing QBs out of games.

Plus, do we really want to subject the QBs to serious, needless injuries ? This debate is a slam dunk.
You are a fool, who I’m not sure even watches the game. I’m positive youve never played it.

BTW. Have you come up with the name of 1 QB who’s been knocked out if a game by a defender on purpose in the last 10 years?

You are a fool, who I’m not sure even watches the game. I’m positive youve never played it.

BTW. Have you come up with the name of 1 QB who’s been knocked out if a game by a defender on purpose in the last 10 years?
Yeah, this guy reeks of either a clueless sports dabbler or a troll.

QB's are protected enough IMO, we had to make a few changes over the years.... however, things are clearly getting out of hand. Obviously the league is sending down strong orders on this. Let's hope the clear uproar gets heard.

Forum List

Back