Terms of Endearment. More Hollywood Depiction of Immoral Trash

Mashmont

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2022
I saw Terms of Endearment in the theater 38 years ago. Saw it again last night. It reminded me how much I dislike Shirley McClain. In fact none of the four main adult characters was likeable. That's why the SPOILER ALERT sad ending didn't break me up very much. I didn't care enough about any of the characters.

The movie is about the complicated love/hate relationship between overbearing Aurora (McLaine) and her daughter Emma (Debra Winger). Aurora disliked her daughter's unambitious husband Flap (Jeff Daniels). Flap cheats on Emma. Emma in turn cheats on Flap. And Aurora has an illicit affair with the next door ex-astronaut Garrett (Jack Nicholson).

I keep waiting for someone to tell me why the pudgy balding sleepy-eyed 5 foot 9 Nicholson is supposed to be a sex symbol. He plays the same bad-boy-love-interest-for-older-women roles in many of his movies, and I've never gotten it.

And McClain isn't the least bit attractive, and never was. Winger looked about as much like McClain's daughter as DeVito looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Let's think. Tall pale redhead mom - short dark-haired daughter. They couldn't have done better?

The acting was pretty good, including the that of the two boys. Winger was probably the weak link if there was one. Her performance was somewhat overwrought.

"Why doesn't she.." Scene Alert: When Garrett is standing/ sitting atop his convertible as it's splashing through the waves, with his hand on the wheel and Aurora's foot on the gas, Aurora shouts "I'm not enjoying this!" Stumper: "Why don't you just take your foot off the gas, then, Aurora?"

There was something about the tone of this movie that wasn't quite right. Summer of 42 had the same off-kilter creepy vibe. So did the television show "Family". Maybe that's true of all films that portray immorality. Maybe it's those with a super serious plot that doesn't resemble real life. Or maybe it's just too many humorless unattractive characters. I also read McClain and Winger didn't get along on the set, so maybe that was it.

And then there are the trashy leftwing 'values'. Illicit sex and cheating all the way around. This is the requirement for "Best Picture" apparently. "How much does a movie degrade societal moral values?" That's the one that gets the Oscar. I give it a 3 out of 10.

Last edited:
I saw Terms of Endearment in the theater 38 years ago. Saw it again last night. It reminded my how much I dislike Shirley McClain. In fact none of the four main adult characters was likeable. That's why the SPOILER ALERT sad ending didn't break me up very much. I didn't care enough about any of the characters.

The movie is about the complicated love/hate relationship between overbearing Aurora and her daughter Emma. Aurora disliked her daughter's unambitious husband Flap. Flap cheats on Emma. Emma in turn cheats on Flap. And Aurora has an illicit affair with the next door ex-astronaut Jack Nicholson.

I keep waiting for someone to tell me why the pudgy balding 5 foot 9 Nicholson is supposed to be a sex symbol. He plays the same bad-boy-love-interest-for-older-women roles in many of his movie, and I've never gotten it.

And McClain isn't the least bit attractive, and never was. Winger looked about as much like McClain's daughter as DeVito looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Let's think. Tall pale redhead mom - short dark-haired daughter. They couldn't have done better?

And then there are the trashy leftwing 'values'. Illicit sex and cheating all the way around. This is the requirement for "Best Picture" apparently. "How much does a movie degrade societal moral values?" That's the one that gets the Oscar.

As I recall, the cheating never resulted in any good.

Shirley was pretty good as Tess in Guarding Tess and as part of the ensemble in Steel Magnolias. Think those are the only two of her movies I have seen.

I saw Terms of Endearment in the theater 38 years ago. Saw it again last night. It reminded me how much I dislike Shirley McClain. In fact none of the four main adult characters was likeable. That's why the SPOILER ALERT sad ending didn't break me up very much. I didn't care enough about any of the characters.

The movie is about the complicated love/hate relationship between overbearing Aurora (McLaine) and her daughter Emma (Debra Winger). Aurora disliked her daughter's unambitious husband Flap (Jeff Daniels). Flap cheats on Emma. Emma in turn cheats on Flap. And Aurora has an illicit affair with the next door ex-astronaut Jack Nicholson.

I keep waiting for someone to tell me why the pudgy balding 5 foot 9 Nicholson is supposed to be a sex symbol. He plays the same bad-boy-love-interest-for-older-women roles in many of his movies, and I've never gotten it.

The acting was pretty good, including the that of the two boys. Winger was probably the weak link if there was one. Her performance was somewhat overwrought.

There was something about the tone of this movie that wasn't quite right. Summer of 42 had the same off-kilter creepy vibe. So did the television show "Family". Maybe that's true of all films that portray immorality. Maybe it's those with a super serious plot that doesn't resemble real life. Or maybe it's just too many humorless unattractive characters.

And then there are the trashy leftwing 'values'. Illicit sex and cheating all the way around. This is the requirement for "Best Picture" apparently. "How much does a movie degrade societal moral values?" That's the one that gets the Oscar. I give it a 3 out of 10.
I agree

I never understood the appeal of Terms of Endearment or why critics loved it so. None of the characters were appealing
I saw it 38 years ago and never wanted to see it again

With a hundred cable networks none seem to show it

Yet this overrated movie manages to beat one of the BEST movie of the 1980's

The Right Stuff

Roger Eberts film commentary

===

Volture

56th Academy Awards: 1983​

Winner: Terms of Endearment
Best Loser:
The Right Stuff

Adapting Tom Wolfe’s book about the early days of the American space program, Philip Kaufman delivered a movie equal parts epic and irreverent, capturing the danger of spaceflight (and the test-pilot programs that preceded it) and the absurdity of a political environment that pushed it into existence and the media circus surrounding the original astronauts and their wives. In other words, it stays true to the tone cultivated by Wolfe, a movie equally at home depicting awesome achievements and the flawed men and women who made it possible.

LINK

The movie is about the complicated love/hate relationship between overbearing Aurora (McLaine) and her daughter Emma (Debra Winger). Aurora disliked her daughter's unambitious husband Flap (Jeff Daniels). Flap cheats on Emma. Emma in turn cheats on Flap. And Aurora has an illicit affair with the next door ex-astronaut Garrett (Jack Nicholson).

I keep waiting for someone to tell me why the pudgy balding sleepy-eyed 5 foot 9 Nicholson is supposed to be a sex symbol. He plays the same bad-boy-love-interest-for-older-women roles in many of his movies, and I've never gotten it.

"Why doesn't she.." Scene Alert: When Garrett is standing/ sitting atop his convertible as it's splashing through the waves, with his hand on the wheel and Aurora's foot on the gas, Aurora shouts "I'm not enjoying this!" Stumper: "Why don't you just take your foot off the gas, then, Aurora?"

There was something about the tone of this movie that wasn't quite right. Summer of 42 had the same off-kilter creepy vibe. So did the television show "Family". Maybe that's true of all films that portray immorality. Maybe it's those with a super serious plot that doesn't resemble real life. Or maybe it's just too many humorless unattractive characters. I also read McClain and Winger didn't get along on the set, so maybe that was it.

And then there are the trashy leftwing 'values'. Illicit sex and cheating all the way around. This is the requirement for "Best Picture" apparently. "How much does a movie degrade societal moral values?" That's the one that gets the Oscar. I give it a 3 out of 10.A
Behind the scenes, reportedly Winger and McClain couldn't stand each other. Both were up for the academy award for Best Actress for their roles in that movie. Winger won. It's been said more than once that Winger is a spoiled brattish type on set and various actors have stated this as their experience with her. Males and females both for the record. She and McClain were doing things on set duiring production to make it hard for the other one to perform- like eating garlic before close scene etc.

I've never cared for any of Winger's movies, including this one because well, she's in it lol McClain? Not a fan either, but there's something about Winger, I just can't figure out exactly what, or maybe I was influenced by the reports lol Naww. it's her haha

Need a tissue?

Apparently not many people agree with you. "Terms of Endearment" adapted from the Larry McMurtry's 1975 best selling novel was a major box office success bringing in 165 million on a budget of 8 million, nominated for 11 academy awards and winning 5.

I read the book years ago and found it a bit boring. Saw the movie and liked a bit better. I like the cast, Debra Winger, Shirley MacLaine, Jack Nicholson, Danny DeVito, Jeff Daniels, and John Lithgow. Although I think the movie was well done, this is not the kind of story I really like and will not watch it again.

I have never heard a good explanation as to why Nicholson is a sex symbol. I'm not sure he really is. Nicholson has had tremendously popularity with both women and men. As an actor, it's his facial expressions or lack of it that allows him to speak to the audience before even uttering a word. His facial expression tells you he is a little quirky, a little crazy, a little sorry, a little humiliated, a little cranky; a lovable rascal, rebel, or a rake.

Take a look at this scene from "As Good As It Gets".

After the horrible insensitive comment Nicholson makes to Holly Hunter about her son, "it sounds like your son will be dead soon", his expression says it all, I think I said something wrong. After the rebuke from Hunter, his expressions are one of shock, then contrition, and finally humiliation, all without saying a word. This is real acting, using your body, facial expressions, and movement to speak to the audience. The most powerful statement an actor can make to the audience is the unspoken statement.

As Brooks said about Nicholson, "I explained the scene to Nicholson and that we will be doing closeups for his reaction. I didn't coach him at all. He knew just how to reach the audience."

I have never heard a good explanation as to why Nicholson is a sex symbol. I'm not sure he really is. Nicholson has had tremendously popularity with both women and men. As an actor, it's his facial expressions or lack of it that allows him to speak to the audience before even uttering a word. His facial expression tells you he is a little quirky, a little crazy, a little sorry, a little humiliated, a little cranky; a lovable rascal, rebel, or a rake.

I never understood the attraction of Nicholson. He seems to play the same character in every movie.
Like you said….strange smirks and facial expressions
He plays a crazy in every movie

horrible insensitive comment Nicholson makes to Holly Hunter about her son, "it sounds like your son will be dead soon", his expression says it all, I think I said something wrong. After the rebuke from Hunter, his
Helen Hunt

I bet you loved "Caligula"...

Shirley McClain is a pretty good actress; her best stuff is in comedies, which are actually harder to do well than dramas. Don't think I ever watched Terms, though, never appealed to me as something to watch. I like the early Nicholson stuff, Chinatown. Five Easy Pieces, and a relatively unknown small movie of his where he plays a small town detective who is eaten up by an old case he never solved, can't remember the name of it, and they don't run it often at all, like his other movies. I think it's The Pledge, but it seems like it was older than 2001. Netflix has it, I think.

Last edited:
Shirley McClain is a pretty good actress; her best stuff is in comedies, which are actually harder to do well than dramas. Don't think I ever watched Terms, though, never appealed to me as something to watch. I like the early Nicholson stuff, Chinatown. Five Easy Pieces, and a relatively unknown small movie of his where he plays a small town detective who is eaten up by an old case he never solved, can't remember the name of it, and they don't run it often at all, like his other movies. I think it's The Pledge, but it seems like it was older than 2001. Netflix has it, I think.
Terms of Endearment is a comedy drama whose strength lies in finding the balance between the funny and the sad, between moments of deep truth and other moments of high ridiculousness. Can you imagine the director Richard Brooks explaining to backers that this is a comedy about a woman dying of cancer. It was nominated for 11 academy awards and won 5, one of which went to Shirley MacLaine for best actress.

I think Shirley MacLaine best movies were:
Terms of Endearment
The Apartment
Some Came Running
Irma La Douce
Being There
Postcards from the Edge
Children's Hour
Sweet Charity.
Steel Magnolias

I think her best performances came in Terms of Endearment, Some Came Running, The Children's Hour, and Two for the Seesaw. These movies were good but not great. Overall, her best performance came in her best movie which was The Apartment.

Forum List

Back