Ten Non-Virtues

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Buddhists have interesting terminology related to conduct. Instead of having "ten commandments" they have ten non-virtues.

The first and most important is not killing any living being.

The second is not stealing, not taking what isn't "freely offered".

The third is not committing sexual misconduct, adultery.

The fourth is not lying.

The fifth is not using divisive speech.

The sixth is not using harsh speech.

The seventh is idle talk.

The eighth is craving or coveting.

The ninth is harboring ill will.

The tenth is having "wrong view", which means not regarding karma as the cause of the first nine non-virtues.

IMO, these are much more challenging to keep than the Ten Commandments. It is nearly impossible to post on a political forum and be free of creating non-virtue. Just the non-virtue of idle chatter alone is broken, even if no harsh or divisive words are written. These are difficult to keep even if you only post on a Buddhist forum with practicing Buddhist practitioners.

Comments?

Last edited:
  • Banned
These guidelines urge us to say only what is true, to speak in ways that promote harmony among people, to use a tone of voice that is pleasing, kind, and gentle, and to speak mindfully in order that our speech is useful and purposeful.

I can wake up in the morning with that intention, but by breakfast I've already blown it.

My wife ordered me a timer that sounds like a Tibetan meditation bell for my birthday. When I get it, I'm going to try and keep that precept while on the forum for ten minutes at a time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back