Tell Us Your Union Experiences

Oh please. Like employers have never bullied employees? If you honestly think that the billionaire employers are innocent victims, you need to get in touch with reality.

You made 1200 dollars today? Good for you. (I'm guessing you sold some type of drugs?) You must understand that your situation is unique to yourself. You obviously have something that works for you, and your happy with that. No representation needed. But, there are working conditions that exist that are simply atrocious. Low pay for backbreaking work. Employers take advantage of people who have no other choice. Working long hours, for very little pay. It is a situation like this where a union is good.

Another thing, next time you get paid an overtime wage for hours worked over 40, thank the unions. Next time you are offered a benefits package that includes health care, thank the unions. If you ever get hurt at work, and can not go to work to earn a living, but are given worker's compensation to pay your bills while you are out, thank the unions for that as well.

I am currently not a union member, however I support them through my experiences. When I was a union member, I busted my ass, as did my coworkers. Believe it or not, paying higher wages attracts a higher quality of worker. You get what you pay for in any situation. People don't join unions because they are lazy, they join unions to be protected from greedy employers taking advantage of them.

Also, I didn't realize we were talking about food stamp recipients here. Why would they be writing you checks, and why is it in this conversation? Also, I don't think union members hate you the most,its more likely that they just don't really care about you.

i have to laugh every time one of you union robots plays the standard "all business owners are evil " and the we all must kneel at the union altar" cards.
Yeah well stow it.
You people use the same God Damned buzzwords at every turn..
You used ...."billionaire" "employer"( twice) "Low pay",( twice), "back breaking work" and "busted ass"....Oh and I love this one...."no choice"...really? Tell me where we allow indentured servitude in the US....Oh, you mentioned "union" 8 times....
Now, give examples of these terrible working conditions...
Oh, you lost any credibility you may have when you accused the other poster of "selling some sort of drugs"....What the fuck is that all about....
With bullshit comments like that it comes as no surprise you union people are looked upon with utter disdain. You bring it on yourselves.

Independent contractors give unions the willies bad.

LMAO!! I can't count the "independent" projects the Union has had to redo. They are our second best customers. LMAO!!:lol::lol:

i have to laugh every time one of you union robots plays the standard "all business owners are evil " and the we all must kneel at the union altar" cards.
Yeah well stow it.
You people use the same God Damned buzzwords at every turn..
You used ...."billionaire" "employer"( twice) "Low pay",( twice), "back breaking work" and "busted ass"....Oh and I love this one...."no choice"...really? Tell me where we allow indentured servitude in the US....Oh, you mentioned "union" 8 times....
Now, give examples of these terrible working conditions...
Oh, you lost any credibility you may have when you accused the other poster of "selling some sort of drugs"....What the fuck is that all about....
With bullshit comments like that it comes as no surprise you union people are looked upon with utter disdain. You bring it on yourselves.

Independent contractors give unions the willies bad.

LMAO!! I can't count the "independent" projects the Union has had to redo. They are our second best customers. LMAO!!:lol::lol:

Yea I bet. What with all your Alcohol relate accidents, I'm sure that's the case.

Interesting thread, considering the cons have spent a lifetime convincing people they shouldn't join the Union and attempting even now to break collective bargaining & lower wages & benefits of Union workers.

Amid all of this, is the Union workers endurance on employement continues, while the individuals who refused Unions are all unemployed and starving, and finding it unconsciousable they lost all their benefits and had to take cuts in pay, while Union workers are still going strong.

There seems to be a lesson here. LOL!!!
Going strong? What the fuck are you talking about...since the 60's unions have lost 80% of their share of the total US workforce.
Union people are usually the first to get cut.
Companies relocate or open new businesses in certain states just to avoid having to deal with these pain in the ass unions.
Unions had their time. They are now obsolete.

Funny how the middle class has greatly shrunk during that same time period.

Interesting thread, considering the cons have spent a lifetime convincing people they shouldn't join the Union and attempting even now to break collective bargaining & lower wages & benefits of Union workers.

Amid all of this, is the Union workers endurance on employement continues, while the individuals who refused Unions are all unemployed and starving, and finding it unconsciousable they lost all their benefits and had to take cuts in pay, while Union workers are still going strong.

There seems to be a lesson here. LOL!!!
Going strong? What the fuck are you talking about...since the 60's unions have lost 80% of their share of the total US workforce.
Companies relocate or open new businesses in certain states just to avoid having to deal with these pain in the ass unions.

Which does not inherently equate to causation... but nice try, idiot

What next?? TV went color since then... damn those rainbow hues.... they caused the middle class to shrink :rolleyes:

What next?? TV went color since then... damn those rainbow hues.... they caused the middle class to shrink :rolleyes:

Idiot? My you are quite eloquent when presented the truth your right wing masters demand you not see.:lol::lol:

Idiot? My you are quite eloquent when presented the truth your right wing masters demand you not see.:lol::lol:

You presented no truth... you presented a faulty argument based on causation association....

nice try

You work you get paid. No food stamp recipient ever wrote me a check. What I am saying about and the majority of those who belong to unions do so because they are to lazy, or unable to be worth the money they want, so they have to try and bully there employers into paying them for nothing.I am represented by me. To day I made my self 1200 dollars. I and others like my self do just fine with no union. As a matter of fact, People like me are what the unions hate the most.

Oh please. Like employers have never bullied employees? If you honestly think that the billionaire employers are innocent victims, you need to get in touch with reality.

You made 1200 dollars today? Good for you. (I'm guessing you sold some type of drugs?) You must understand that your situation is unique to yourself. You obviously have something that works for you, and your happy with that. No representation needed. But, there are working conditions that exist that are simply atrocious. Low pay for backbreaking work. Employers take advantage of people who have no other choice. Working long hours, for very little pay. It is a situation like this where a union is good.

Another thing, next time you get paid an overtime wage for hours worked over 40, thank the unions. Next time you are offered a benefits package that includes health care, thank the unions. If you ever get hurt at work, and can not go to work to earn a living, but are given worker's compensation to pay your bills while you are out, thank the unions for that as well.

I am currently not a union member, however I support them through my experiences. When I was a union member, I busted my ass, as did my coworkers. Believe it or not, paying higher wages attracts a higher quality of worker. You get what you pay for in any situation. People don't join unions because they are lazy, they join unions to be protected from greedy employers taking advantage of them.

Also, I didn't realize we were talking about food stamp recipients here. Why would they be writing you checks, and why is it in this conversation? Also, I don't think union members hate you the most,its more likely that they just don't really care about you.

For one thing, I represent my self. If I dont like some one I dont work for I leave. I will say that back in the old days unions made the work place better in every industry. But, they have become a monster that serves as a money gathering device for the DNC and the foot soldiers for that same political party. I dont sell drugs. They cost to much. Now the unions need to be checked, At the public level. Now go look at the fart thread and lighten up.

In the old days they did make the work place better, and they still do today. You see, I do not believe that every worker should be represented by a union. There are however, many situations where en employer will mistreat employees. There are also situations where a person can't just quit. They may have a family who depends on them, and the job market might be too thin to find something else. An employer may realize this,and take advantage of that particular worker. For example, a company (non-union) I worked for required 50 hours a week out of their salaried employees. No over time, just a flat salary. One day the powers that be decided to increase the the required hours to 60. No pay raise, or additional benefits added. If a union had represented the employees, this would not have been an issue.

I see though that your a business owner of some sort. (This is your claim anyway.) How would you feel about the elimination of the chamber of commerce? How many hours would you like your employees to work without overtime pay? You have already admitted that you are not in favor of paying a decent wage.

Many companies however, offer all of the perks without a union. 40 hour workweek, healthcare, PTO ect... This is simply because of the threat of unionization.

"If I dont like some one I dont work for I leave." So if you don't work for them how can you leave? Just kidding, a get what you are saying. But in a little world called reality, many folks can't just leave because the prospect of unemployment would be crippling to them.

So you say that unions are a monster who generates money for the DNC? Well in that case, again I ask you about the about the chamber of commerce, or maybe the corporate lobbyists from banks, insurance companies, Wall Street, Oil companies all whom funnel money into the RNC.(And the DNC as well in many cases) What about the Koch brothers, who are so obviously pulling the strings of Walker in Wisconsin, and probably many others. All of a sudden, the unions who typically stand up for the working class don't seem like the giant evil that you make them out to be.

Another thing, how can you expect a police officer to strap on a bullet proof vest and risk his or her life everyday, a firefighter to run into a burning building while everyone else is running out, and a teacher to give our children the best possible education, all the while telling them they make too much money? Meanwhile Walker and kasich gave themselves,and their staffs pay raises upon entering office? Republicans have a history of cutting on programs that will have minimal effect on the deficit, but disastrous effects on working class citizens, yet ignore over inflated budgets elsewhere.

Before I sign off here I just wanna clear up any misconceptions that you might have about me. I do not smoke pot, (Although I don't have a problem with anyone who does, and actually think its completely silly that its illegal. Talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars.) or do any other drugs ( I drink sometimes). I don't live with my mom anymore. I actually own a house that I bought myself through my own hard work.

I've never been a union member.

But, I have worked at companies that had unions and everytime the union members got a bump, we so called "professional staffers" also got a bump.

Damn good deal thanks to the Unions.

So you don't get raises based on anything you've contributed, just because some other guy got one.

Impressive.. guess that explains your shitty math.

:lol:

I've never been a union member.

But, I have worked at companies that had unions and everytime the union members got a bump, we so called "professional staffers" also got a bump.

Damn good deal thanks to the Unions.

So you don't get raises based on anything you've contributed, just because some other guy got one.

Impressive.. guess that explains your shitty math.

:lol:

Yeah, right, like you'd turn down a raise.

For one thing, I represent my self. If I dont like some one I dont work for I leave. I will say that back in the old days unions made the work place better in every industry. But, they have become a monster that serves as a money gathering device for the DNC and the foot soldiers for that same political party. I dont sell drugs. They cost to much. Now the unions need to be checked, At the public level. Now go look at the fart thread and lighten up.

In the old days they did make the work place better, and they still do today. You see, I do not believe that every worker should be represented by a union. There are however, many situations where en employer will mistreat employees. There are also situations where a person can't just quit. They may have a family who depends on them, and the job market might be too thin to find something else. An employer may realize this,and take advantage of that particular worker. For example, a company (non-union) I worked for required 50 hours a week out of their salaried employees. No over time, just a flat salary. One day the powers that be decided to increase the the required hours to 60. No pay raise, or additional benefits added. If a union had represented the employees, this would not have been an issue.

I see though that your a business owner of some sort. (This is your claim anyway.) How would you feel about the elimination of the chamber of commerce? How many hours would you like your employees to work without overtime pay? You have already admitted that you are not in favor of paying a decent wage.

Many companies however, offer all of the perks without a union. 40 hour workweek, healthcare, PTO ect... This is simply because of the threat of unionization.

"If I dont like some one I dont work for I leave." So if you don't work for them how can you leave? Just kidding, a get what you are saying. But in a little world called reality, many folks can't just leave because the prospect of unemployment would be crippling to them.

So you say that unions are a monster who generates money for the DNC? Well in that case, again I ask you about the about the chamber of commerce, or maybe the corporate lobbyists from banks, insurance companies, Wall Street, Oil companies all whom funnel money into the RNC.(And the DNC as well in many cases) What about the Koch brothers, who are so obviously pulling the strings of Walker in Wisconsin, and probably many others. All of a sudden, the unions who typically stand up for the working class don't seem like the giant evil that you make them out to be.

Another thing, how can you expect a police officer to strap on a bullet proof vest and risk his or her life everyday, a firefighter to run into a burning building while everyone else is running out, and a teacher to give our children the best possible education, all the while telling them they make too much money? Meanwhile Walker and kasich gave themselves,and their staffs pay raises upon entering office? Republicans have a history of cutting on programs that will have minimal effect on the deficit, but disastrous effects on working class citizens, yet ignore over inflated budgets elsewhere.

Before I sign off here I just wanna clear up any misconceptions that you might have about me. I do not smoke pot, (Although I don't have a problem with anyone who does, and actually think its completely silly that its illegal. Talk about a waste of taxpayer dollars.) or do any other drugs ( I drink sometimes). I don't live with my mom anymore. I actually own a house that I bought myself through my own hard work.

Well I smoke pot on occasion. When I have help I dont work hourly, nether do I. We get paied by the draw and the job. We will agree up front "This amount of money at this time" and so on until the job is done. If they dont like it they can say no. I had to face the moment ware I quit a job with a family to feed with the Wife in school. I decided there was money out there that was mine and I went and got it. I admit, Cops, Firemen, Coal miner(all miners) High tension power line workers and even pro athletes need there unions. but the lady at the DMV ? and even the teachers need to stop it.

The majority of police and firefighters are NOT union.
Is it your assumption that those without union representation or collective bargaining rights are somehow inferior?
Please spare us the "woe is the working class without unions" bullshit...
Oh, salary cuts both ways. If a worker on salary works less than 40 hours they still are paid their entire salary. While a non-exempt worker gets paid actual hours worked.
True that many firms would place non management personnel on salary. That is illegal now since the Bush Admin passed laws establishing worker status.

The majority of police and firefighters are NOT union.
Is it your assumption that those without union representation or collective bargaining rights are somehow inferior?
Please spare us the "woe is the working class without unions" bullshit...
Oh, salary cuts both ways. If a worker on salary works less than 40 hours they still are paid their entire salary. While a non-exempt worker gets paid actual hours worked.
True that many firms would place non management personnel on salary. That is illegal now since the Bush Admin passed laws establishing worker status.

The wife is salary and she gets PTO for overtime or money. Her work treats her good.

I've been a part of two unions, a provincial government union and the meatpackers union. I joined both because of summer jobs.

At the time, provincial government workers in Saskatchewan got every third Friday off. My union rep told me that I had to take those days off. I said no, I wanted to work. He said I had to. I told him to piss off. I never heard from him again. I used to be active in politics and got many friends and acquaintances summer jobs. They were often told to slow down because they were working too hard and making everyone else look bad.

I worked on the kill floor of a meat-packing plant. The meatpackers were a good union. A guy was fired with cause - he only showed up half the time. The union agreed and didn't lift a finger to protect him. He was a good guy but a poor employee.

Last edited:

Well I smoke pot on occasion. When I have help I dont work hourly, nether do I. We get paied by the draw and the job. We will agree up front "This amount of money at this time" and so on until the job is done. If they dont like it they can say no. I had to face the moment ware I quit a job with a family to feed with the Wife in school. I decided there was money out there that was mine and I went and got it. I admit, Cops, Firemen, Coal miner(all miners) High tension power line workers and even pro athletes need there unions. but the lady at the DMV ? and even the teachers need to stop it.

I have no problem with those who smoke pot, as I said I believe it should be legal because it doesn't hurt anyone.

Anyway, It seems like you have a reasonable agreement with those who work for you, and that is great. No union needed. But again, for most workers, a unions very existence is beneficial because of how employers may treat their workers. Even those who are not union members enjoy benefits and perks because the threat of unionization encourages employers to treat their employees well to avoid dealing with a union. Its sad it needs to be done that way, but unfortunately, thats reality.

Your right, the lady at the DMV may not really need a union, but then again if the state tells her she needs to work 67 hours a week with no overtime, maybe she does. As far as professional athletes go, maybe so, but the MLB players association is what is ruining baseball in my opinion.

I've been a part of two unions, a provincial government union and the meatpackers union. I joined both because of summer jobs.

At the time, provincial government workers in Saskatchewan got every third Friday off. My union rep told me that I had to take those days off. I said no, I wanted to work. He said I had to. I told him to piss off. I never heard from him again. I used to be active in politics and got many friends and acquaintances summer jobs. They were often told to slow down because they were working too hard and making everyone else look bad.

I worked on the kill floor of a meat-packing plant. The meatpackers were a good union. A guy was fired with cause - he only showed up half the time. The union agreed and didn't lift a finger to protect him. He was a good guy but a poor employee.
I have no tolerance for poor or lazy workers. The union did the right thing.

I have no problem with those who smoke pot, as I said I believe it should be legal because it doesn't hurt anyone.

Anyway, It seems like you have a reasonable agreement with those who work for you, and that is great. No union needed. But again, for most workers, a unions very existence is beneficial because of how employers may treat their workers. Even those who are not union members enjoy benefits and perks because the threat of unionization encourages employers to treat their employees well to avoid dealing with a union. Its sad it needs to be done that way, but unfortunately, thats reality.

Your right, the lady at the DMV may not really need a union, but then again if the state tells her she needs to work 67 hours a week with no overtime, maybe she does. As far as professional athletes go, maybe so, but the MLB players association is what is ruining baseball in my opinion.

Unions are fine as long as they're local.

Now they have world wide organizations that are involved in manipulating other governments. Anytime an organization gets that big corruption becomes a major problem.

Forum List

Back