Teacher Pay

Machaut

Mar 16, 2014
Two questions:

1. Do you believe that public school teacher pay in your state should be raised, lowered, or stay the same?

2. How much is a first-year teacher paid as an employee of the school district in your area?

Two questions:

1. Do you believe that public school teacher pay in your state should be raised, lowered, or stay the same?

2. How much is a first-year teacher paid as an employee of the school district in your area?

1. Seems about right where it's at. There are hundreds of applicants in my city that apply for every open job. If they were not paid enough, they could never fill the job.

2. $34,048 w/BA. $40,820 with MA. Average teacher wage in WA is $52,240.

Two questions:

Based on performance at my daughters school, (private) vs. the public schools...they should be lowered! Well, the admins pay should be greatly reduced and the teachers pay should be increased............... so long as they are performing well.

The sad fact is most students, and their teachers, are not doing very well. I know you will all try and lay blame on the parent, but take a look at the facts... with the parents working and the amount of time spent sleeping factored in, teachers actually spend MORE waking moments with students than their parents.

Thus, while parental support is absolutely essential, to blame poor performance solely on the parents is simply stupid.

Two questions:

If the unions would stay out it they would be getting paid more.

I'm a Tory and I hold to that when talking about pay and conditions.

How about performance related pay?

If the kids get good results, the teachers concerned get a bonus but, if the exam results are rubbish, the teacher gets paid less the following year.

Seems fair to me.

Two questions:

Based on performance at my daughters school, (private) vs. the public schools...they should be lowered! Well, the admins pay should be greatly reduced and the teachers pay should be increased............... so long as they are performing well.
Thank you for answering the first question. You have stated your opinion quite clearly, that you want teacher pay to be increased and administrative pay to be decreased. However, you have failed to address the second question, which is what the teacher pay should be increased from and what the administrative pay should be decreased from. Please correct this with data from your local school district, which is freely available online.

Two questions:

Thank you for your response, but you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on how unions have influenced teacher pay in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.

If the kids get good results, the teachers concerned get a bonus but, if the exam results are rubbish, the teacher gets paid less the following year.

Seems fair to me.
Thank you for your response. However, you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on how much of a bonus or pay dock teachers should get in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.

Seems fair to me.
Thank you for your response. However, you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on how much of a bonus or pay dock teachers should get in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.

I have answered.
I believe teachers should be paid what they're worth.
If good, they get a rise; if crap, take a cut (or the sack).

What isn't fair about that?

Indiana - starting salary $33,574...average overall - $50,801.
Keeping in mind that Indiana is mostly rural...that is pretty good.
The average wage in Indiana's top 10 populated counties is $43k...so teachers fare better than most.
And with extensive holiday/time off, accelerated retirement plans and very good bene's --- I would say it is at least where it should be.

Seems fair to me.

I have answered.

You are continuing to break the "no hijacking" rule for the Clean Debate Zone. Answer the questions posed in the original post. I will reiterate them for your benefit.

For an example of how a correct answer looks, look to the very first response to this thread. I will quote it here for your benefit.

1. Seems about right where it's at. There are hundreds of applicants in my city that apply for every open job. If they were not paid enough, they could never fill the job.

2. $34,048 w/BA. $40,820 with MA. Average teacher wage in WA is $52,240.

I apologize for the confusion. My wording must be incredibly vague for 60% of respondents thus far to fail to understand the questions. In addition to your responses to the questions posed in the OP, would you suggest some ways to reword the questions so that they are more clear?

Seems fair to me.

I have answered.

So no teacher would ever be willing to teach the kids who need good teachers the most?

Seems fair to me.

Considering that the single biggest factor in whether a student does well is the effort the student puts in, taking away the teacher's pay seems counterproductive.

When I was in college as an education major, a mentor gave me some excellent advice. He said, "Some students will make A's if you give them a textbook and test them weekly and have a final exam. Some students won't do well if they have a tutor working one-on-one with them. The best that you can do, as a teacher, is to work for the rest of the students."

Both my parents died in hospitals. We still had to pay the hospital & doctor's bills. If I join a gym and don't get in shape, I still have to pay them.

I have answered.

You are continuing to break the "no hijacking" rule for the Clean Debate Zone. Answer the questions posed in the original post. I will reiterate them for your benefit.

For an example of how a correct answer looks, look to the very first response to this thread. I will quote it here for your benefit.

1 - a teacher's pay should be raised if they get good results; lowered if their students do badly.

2 - The starting wage for a new teacher should be the current average (adjusted for inflation over the years) for the school district, more if they can show a history of good results.
A fresh of of collage bod would receive less than the average, as they have no experience and have yet to prove themselves.
No one will hire a failing teacher so that doesn't matter.

Is that answer clear enough or do I need to use shorter words or type slowly?
I'm trying to work out why I'm breaking any "no hijacking" rule as I've answered your questions as I believe is the correct way to deal with teachers' salary.

You may not like it, but I don't believe teachers should get uniform pay.
That's not hijacking; that's answering truthfully.

As for the first response to the thread, I believe this fails because it doesn't take into account the teacher's performance.
Simple numbers don't always work, even for a maths teacher.
That system is the norm in my school and I agree with it.

In fairness, I should be honest - I get ten times the salary of the lowest paid teacher so I'm likely to agree with the system.

Two questions:

This is absolutely one of the flawed unions. And you are correct, they would try harder and get paid more if it wasn't for unions.

Everything in the world needs regulation. Too much of anything, is a bad thing.

Two questions:

This is absolutely one of the flawed unions. And you are correct, they would try harder and get paid more if it wasn't for unions.

If teacher pay were based solely on the performance of students, then the teachers of the gifted student classes would make out like bandits. The pay of the teachers of lower level students would suck.

Here is an interested article.

Blueberries | Jamie Vollmer

I have answered.

1 - a teacher's pay should be raised if they get good results; lowered if their students do badly.

2 - The starting wage for a new teacher should be the current average (adjusted for inflation over the years) for the school district, more if they can show a history of good results.
A fresh of of collage bod would receive less than the average, as they have no experience and have yet to prove themselves.
No one will hire a failing teacher so that doesn't matter.

Is that answer clear enough or do I need to use shorter words or type slowly?
I'm trying to work out why I'm breaking any "no hijacking" rule as I've answered your questions as I believe is the correct way to deal with teachers' salary.

You may not like it, but I don't believe teachers should get uniform pay.
That's not hijacking; that's answering truthfully.

As for the first response to the thread, I believe this fails because it doesn't take into account the teacher's performance.
Simple numbers don't always work, even for a maths teacher.
That system is the norm in my school and I agree with it.

In fairness, I should be honest - I get ten times the salary of the lowest paid teacher so I'm likely to agree with the system.
Congratulations on having successfully answered the first question. You have provided a direct, coherent answer and I thank you for your input.

However, while you came close to answering the second question, you have still failed to answer it. The question is not "What SHOULD teacher pay be" but rather "What IS teacher pay" for your area. You allude to knowing what teacher pay for your area is by saying that you "get ten times the salary of the lowest paid teacher," so I am led to believe that you are capable of answering the second question and are still confused regarding it. I will reword question two for your benefit.

2. Do research into how much teachers in your local schools get paid. Find exact numbers; these should be available online on the website for your local school district. How much is a first-year teacher currently paid as an employee of the school district in your area? Report the number of units of currency they are paid on an annual basis for doing their job as a teacher.

Take note that this question does not ask for an opinion, although you are free to give one after you have answered the question. The second question deals with you researching and reporting an objective fact that is true regardless of how you feel about it. The first response in this thread answered the question appropriately, because it reported an objective fact regardless of how the responder felt about it. You are encouraged to give your opinions on what teacher pay SHOULD be; however, the question is asking what teacher pay in your area CURRENTLY IS.

I believe you are unintentionally breaking the "no hijacking" rule because you have, over the course of three posts, failed to answer half of the questions posed in the OP. I will assume that this is due to a communication error. What is your first language?

Two questions:

I wish I could get paid and only work nine months out of the year.
Thank you both for your responses. However, you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on teacher unions and their work year in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.

If teacher pay were based solely on the performance of students, then the teachers of the gifted student classes would make out like bandits. The pay of the teachers of lower level students would suck.

Here is an interested article.

Blueberries | Jamie Vollmer
Thank you for your response and the interesting read. However, you have failed to answer either question. To avoid breaking the "no hijacking" rule for this forum, please answer the questions. Feel free to express your views on how to determine teacher pay in your local school district after you have provided answers to the two questions I posed.

BELFAST MAINE

Its a 16 step pay system

Here's the highlights

A first-year teacher with a bachelor’s degree will earn $32,250;

a teacher with five years experience and a bachelor’s will earn $38,257;

and at the top, a teacher with 15 or more years experience and a bachelor’s will earn $56,786.

Not exactly a fortune given that one bedroom apartments go for $700-$1000 a month in that small town.

Forum List

Back