Teacher Absence, Student Reward

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Just heard another news story about teacher absence on Mondays and Fridays......

1. "The article on teacher absenteeism brought back some memories. As a school superintendent in Ohio, I tried to get it in the negotiated contract that teacher absenteeism on Mondays and Fridays would not be greater than for the other days of the week. There were days when there were so many teachers absent on a Monday or a Friday that you could not get a substitute because they had all been already hired.

The interesting part about their article is that there was a lot written about the problems caused by teacher absenteeism, but not much about the causes for it, and why it is higher on Monday and Friday. The answer is stress. The more stress teachers experience the higher the absenteeism rate. What causes stress?

There are many factors: demands from the administration, declining test scores, disagreements with other faculty members, etc. However, one of the leading causes of stress is the need to control the students. It is not uncommon for a teacher to have to correct students 150 times a day. That means that a teacher has to stop teaching and correct a student every 2-3 minutes.

Having to stop teaching, correct a student, and restart teaching is a lot of stress. This constant interruption of the learning process, whether caused by students’ misbehavior or other interruptions also reduces test scores leading to even greater stress and teacher absenteeism."
Why are teachers absent on Mondays and Fridays? A retired school chief offers his theory and solution. | Get Schooled

2. This issue has never gone away...and never will, because it is based on human nature, and that is inflexible.

3. A solution that has never been tried...nor posed, as far as I know....is to use the motivation as a tool to get what we want from the education system.

4. What do we want?
a. Learning of subject matter by students.

b. Self-motivation and initiative.

c. And less stress for the teacher.

5. The plan:
a. Regular and ongoing testing of student....

...with the reward for excellence, proof of learning:....students determine how much time must be spent in class or in school.
Those who need less schooling.....get same.
So...rather than relying on extrinsic reward, the report card, an intrinsic reward: being the master of one's own life.

b. Students who train themselves to be self-learners won't have to be 'disciplined' to remain and be bored.
It will be a real goal, not a manufactured one.

c. Classes will, effectively be smaller, and those who need personal attention will get more of same.

In the business world, many are allowed to set their own schedule....where do they get the training for that?
How about school?

Worried about custodianship of students? Give them age-appropriate options: gym, playtime, gameroom, library....lunchroom; I'm sure administrations can be creative. And, you don't need licensed teachers for most of these.

BTW....this system is one of the great advantages of home-schooling. And home-schooled kids do just fine on tests, and in college.

6. The key is recognizing the importance of good tests.

a. “Teaching to the test” is deplored in education circles, although that complaint is easily answered: if the test faithfully mirrors the skills and knowledge set out in the standards, then preparing one’s pupils to ace such a test is an honorable mission!
From “Troublemaker,” by Chester E. Finn, Jr. Former Assistant Secretary of Education under President Reagan.

A real reward for real learning.

When I started working, some of the sage advice I received was....

If you call in sick on Monday....take Tuesday off too

If you are out sick on Monday they will assume you are either hung-over or stretching out the weekend. But if you take Tuesday off as well, they will be genuinely concerned for your health when you show up to work on Wednesday

Teachers abuse the system just like everyone else.

Teachers union allows them to "abuse the system" more readily as you can't fire them… Merit pay? We can't have that.:eusa_eh:

Sick days and personal days for recent hires are relatively few. It's the tenured faculty with added years of teaching that tend to pile up the bennies.

Unfortunately, Mrs. H. who was highly praised and regarded got shit-canned as soon as she was tenure eligible. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Or who you're related to, or the church you attend. I shit you not.

The tenured faculties in public schools are rife with incompetents, perverts, and those in serious need of a good old-fashioned ass kicking.

Teachers abuse the system just like everyone else.

Teachers union allows them to "abuse the system" more readily as you can't fire them… Merit pay? We can't have that.:eusa_eh:

Sick days and personal days for recent hires are relatively few. It's the tenured faculty with added years of teaching that tend to pile up the bennies.

Unfortunately, Mrs. H. who was highly praised and regarded got shit-canned as soon as she was tenure eligible. It's not what you know, it's who you know. Or who you're related to, or the church you attend. I shit you not.

The tenured faculties in public schools are rife with incompetents, perverts, and those in serious need of a good old-fashioned ass kicking.

but i thought teachers could not be fired? :confused::confused:

ps rife is hyperbole

Just heard another news story about teacher absence on Mondays and Fridays......

1. "The article on teacher absenteeism brought back some memories. As a school superintendent in Ohio, I tried to get it in the negotiated contract that teacher absenteeism on Mondays and Fridays would not be greater than for the other days of the week. There were days when there were so many teachers absent on a Monday or a Friday that you could not get a substitute because they had all been already hired.

The interesting part about their article is that there was a lot written about the problems caused by teacher absenteeism, but not much about the causes for it, and why it is higher on Monday and Friday. The answer is stress. The more stress teachers experience the higher the absenteeism rate. What causes stress?

There are many factors: demands from the administration, declining test scores, disagreements with other faculty members, etc. However, one of the leading causes of stress is the need to control the students. It is not uncommon for a teacher to have to correct students 150 times a day. That means that a teacher has to stop teaching and correct a student every 2-3 minutes.

Having to stop teaching, correct a student, and restart teaching is a lot of stress. This constant interruption of the learning process, whether caused by students’ misbehavior or other interruptions also reduces test scores leading to even greater stress and teacher absenteeism."
Why are teachers absent on Mondays and Fridays? A retired school chief offers his theory and solution. | Get Schooled

2. This issue has never gone away...and never will, because it is based on human nature, and that is inflexible.

3. A solution that has never been tried...nor posed, as far as I know....is to use the motivation as a tool to get what we want from the education system.

4. What do we want?

5. The plan:

...with the reward for excellence, proof of learning:....students determine how much time must be spent in class or in school.
So...rather than relying on extrinsic reward, the report card, an intrinsic reward: being the master of one's own life.

b. Students who train themselves to be self-learners won't have to be 'disciplined' to remain and be bored.

c. Classes will, effectively be smaller, and those who need personal attention will get more of same.

In the business world, many are allowed to set their own schedule....where do they get the training for that?
How about school?

Worried about custodianship of students? Give them age-appropriate options: gym, playtime, gameroom, library....lunchroom; I'm sure administrations can be creative. And, you don't need licensed teachers for most of these.

BTW....this system is one of the great advantages of home-schooling. And home-schooled kids do just fine on tests, and in college.

a. “Teaching to the test” is deplored in education circles, although that complaint is easily answered: if the test faithfully mirrors the skills and knowledge set out in the standards, then preparing one’s pupils to ace such a test is an honorable mission!
From “Troublemaker,” by Chester E. Finn, Jr. Former Assistant Secretary of Education under President Reagan.

testing, really?

wow you must have been one terrible admin.

honey No kid ever learned much a from a test.

the only way you teach is inspire kids to love learning.

testing them does not inspire learning.

You think of children as products.

They are human beings.

You can damage them and their desire to learn by being so mechanical towards them.

you want kids to learn INSPIRE THEM.

How do you do that?

You look at them like real people with real promise.

You look at them like they are capable of learning and are WORTH the effort to teach them.

I shutter to think you were paid to teach kids

I was really hopeful when I first started reading this thread.

I thought she was going to say something human for a change.

then she went to testing full stupid

Curiosity and the desire to know is innate in the human child. It would remain so if it were not extinguished by adults.

Sit still, raise your hand, don't touch are the first things we learn when we first attend school. What's a one year old say over and over once they have some command of language? "What's that?" "Why?" And, what do they hear, "don't touch", "shhh" (shhh = don't talk I'm too busy for you).

PC as usual introduces a topic of some importance but always with an eye on pushing her agenda. Education for our kids is too important to be trivialized by a troll.

4. What do we want?

5. The plan:

How about school?

testing, really?

They are human beings.

You can damage them and their desire to learn by being so mechanical towards them.

How do you do that?

You look at them like they are capable of learning and are WORTH the effort to teach them.

Sans testing, school is merely baby sitting. That is exactly where Liberal educrats have brought us.

Liberals and Conservatives differ in the way to proceed. For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and “Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter)

We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests.

For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking.

Curiosity and the desire to know is innate in the human child. It would remain so if it were not extinguished by adults.

Sit still, raise your hand, don't touch are the first things we learn when we first attend school. What's a one year old say over and over once they have some command of language? "What's that?" "Why?" And, what do they hear, "don't touch", "shhh" (shhh = don't talk I'm too busy for you).

PC as usual introduces a topic of some importance but always with an eye on pushing her agenda. Education for our kids is too important to be trivialized by a troll.

"...always with an eye on pushing her agenda."

Since you appear unable to comprehend that 'agenda,' as usual I'm forced to spoon feed it to you in the smallest words possible:

I want the education system to work, to produce the most educated and inspired children possible.

Once upon a time it did.

It will again if we toss out the Liberal 'self-esteem' movement, and return to teacher-centered, content-rich education.

Proof:

1. "The “Massachusetts miracle,” in which Bay State students’ soaring test scores broke records, was the direct consequence of the state legislature’s passage of the 1993 Education Reform Act, which established knowledge-based standards for all grades and a rigorous testing system linked to the new standards. And those standards, Massachusetts reformers have acknowledged, are Hirsch’s legacy.

2. In the new millennium, Massachusetts students have surged upward on the biennial National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)—“the nation’s report card,” as education scholars call it. On the 2005 NAEP tests, Massachusetts ranked first in the nation in fourth- and eighth-grade reading and fourth- and eighth-grade math. It then repeated the feat in 2007. No state had ever scored first in both grades and both subjects in a single year—let alone for two consecutive test cycles.

3. On another reliable test, the Trends in International Math and Science Studies, the state’s fourth-graders last year ranked second globally in science and third in math, while the eighth-graders tied for first in science and placed sixth in math. (States can volunteer, as Massachusetts did, to have their students compared with national averages.) The United States as a whole finished tenth."
E. D. Hirsch’s Curriculum for Democracy by Sol Stern, City Journal Autumn 2009

Teachers need to put more emphasis on critical thinking skills and less emphasis on "cut and paste"

How some students are able to get by in life with only "cut and paste" skills is beyond me

4. What do we want?

5. The plan:

How about school?

testing, really?

They are human beings.

How do you do that?

Sans testing, school is merely baby sitting. That is exactly where Liberal educrats have brought us.

Liberals and Conservatives differ in the way to proceed. For Conservatives, data informs policy. (“More Guns, Less Crime” and “Mass murderers apparently can’t read, since they are constantly shooting up ‘gun-free zones.’”- Coulter)

We use Conservative principles to the best of our ability, but when confronting new and original venues, we believe in testing, and analysis of the results of the tests.

For liberals, feeling passes for knowing; it is based on emotion often to the exclusion of thinking.

You can teach anyone to regurgitate.

You have to inspire the love of information.

one is retained for life the other is retained until the test is over

Since you appear unable to comprehend that 'agenda,' as usual I'm forced to spoon feed it to you in the smallest words possible:

I want the education system to work, to produce the most educated and inspired children possible.

Once upon a time it did.

It will again if we toss out the Liberal 'self-esteem' movement, and return to teacher-centered, content-rich education.

Proof:

1. "The “Massachusetts miracle,” in which Bay State students’ soaring test scores broke records, was the direct consequence of the state legislature’s passage of the 1993 Education Reform Act, which established knowledge-based standards for all grades and a rigorous testing system linked to the new standards. And those standards, Massachusetts reformers have acknowledged, are Hirsch’s legacy.

2. In the new millennium, Massachusetts students have surged upward on the biennial National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)—“the nation’s report card,” as education scholars call it. On the 2005 NAEP tests, Massachusetts ranked first in the nation in fourth- and eighth-grade reading and fourth- and eighth-grade math. It then repeated the feat in 2007. No state had ever scored first in both grades and both subjects in a single year—let alone for two consecutive test cycles.

3. On another reliable test, the Trends in International Math and Science Studies, the state’s fourth-graders last year ranked second globally in science and third in math, while the eighth-graders tied for first in science and placed sixth in math. (States can volunteer, as Massachusetts did, to have their students compared with national averages.) The United States as a whole finished tenth."

You've posted outcomes on tests, which maybe good or maybe a consequence of teaching to the test (Rote Learning). I'd like to know how the classroom was structured and if motivated students were segregated from unmotivated students? If curiosity was nurtured or stifled as the need to pass the test was the most important goal, not critical thinking.

My point is from my experience. At some point - the 4th grade I seem to recall - I stopped listening and sat quietly and read the book of my choice. That 'teaching' moment for me was in the 4th grade when I interupted the teacher and pointed at the world map on the wall and suggested the west coast of Africa looked like it had been once been in the Gulf of Mexico. I was told to not speak out. Only years later did I learn about Plate Tectonics.

Once upon a time it did.

Proof:

You've posted outcomes on tests, which maybe good or maybe a consequence of teaching to the test (Rote Learning). I'd like to know how the classroom was structured and if motivated students were segregated from unmotivated students? If curiosity was nurtured or stifled as the need to pass the test was the most important goal, not critical thinking.

My point is from my experience. At some point - the 4th grade I seem to recall - I stopped listening and sat quietly and read the book of my choice. That 'teaching' moment for me was in the 4th grade when I interupted the teacher and pointed at the world map on the wall and suggested the west coast of Africa looked like it had been once been in the Gulf of Mexico. I was told to not speak out. Only years later did I learn about Plate Tectonics.

"...the 4th grade I seem to recall..."

What???

When you were a kid rainbows were in black and white!!!

Once upon a time it did.

Proof:

What???

Still channeling CrusaderFrank I see.

testing, really?

They are human beings.

How do you do that?

You can teach anyone to regurgitate.

You have to inspire the love of information.

one is retained for life the other is retained until the test is over

It is so very easy to take your posts and point out the fallacies that I almost feel guilty in doing so....

But....

1. Teachers, like anyone else, would like to be praised, be successful.

True?

2. If there were any validity to you inane "You can teach anyone to regurgitate"....

...why wouldn't they do so?

This, from the OP:
The key is recognizing the importance of good tests.

What???

Still channeling CrusaderFrank I see.

I like CF a lot!

Heck....I'd offer to give you a rep, but you probably want prunes and Geritol instead.

Forum List

Back